Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Q&A: Myron Cope

Even retirement can't keep Myron Cope down

By Rick Starr
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 1, 2007

After 35 seasons in the Steelers' broadcast booth, color analyst Myron Cope pulled the plug on his radio and TV career before the 2005 football season.

That doesn't mean the inventor of the "Terrible Towel" with the repertoire of unique catchphrases has run out of opinions on the local sports scene.

"I'm still kicking," he said Tuesday with his familiar, raspy delivery. "I have various projects that I'm working on. I'm not at all in retirement, but I am retired from radio and TV."

A Pittsburgh native and graduate of Taylor Allderdice High School and Pitt, Cope is the only pro football commentator to be inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame.

Cope started as a journalist before becoming a broadcaster, most notably for Sports Illustrated. He hosted a popular sports talk show for years, which aired from 6 to 8 p.m. five nights a week on WTAE-AM.

Cope shared some current opinions in an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Question: Do you have another book in you after your autobiography, "Double Yoi"?

Answer: I'm too old. Fortunately, none of my problems are life-threatening. But they do slow me down, and it takes me four times as long to accomplish anything as it used to.

Q: Did Bill Cowher's decision to "retire" as Steelers coach surprise you?

A: It didn't surprise me at all because when the story got out that he had bought that home in Raleigh, and that his wife and 15-year-old daughter were moving down there as well, I figured it was a given that he would move down there. I figured, in usual fashion, that he'd take a year or two off, do some TV, and then get back into coaching, and be in great demand. The only thing that surprised me was that I later learned that he, I guess, would have stayed if he had gotten the kind of money he wanted, like $6-8 million, like (Seattle coach Mike) Holmgren was making. The Rooneys aren't about to give somebody a contract just because somebody else is paying that. If they think the other guy is crazy, they're not about to be crazy themselves. But they've been forced by the economy from time to time to do just that. But in this case, I suppose, they didn't care to.

Q: Will we see Cowher on the NFL sidelines again?

A: I fully expect it. They'll be bidding like crazy for him because he won a Super Bowl. He was very successful.

Q: What's the first advice you'd give to new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin?

A: I'd give him no advice, except, "Be yourself." I learned a long time ago, winning coaches vary a great deal in their approach and methods. Bill Cowher was a motivator. Chuck Noll would have nothing to do with motivation. Noll said all the time he wanted self-starters, and if you had to motivate a guy, he shouldn't be there. Tomlin, obviously, is a guy that just blew away the Rooneys. All of sudden, he jumped over the other candidates. They're pretty good judges, I would think, the Rooneys are. Tomlin, obviously, brings something with him, but you never know what a coach will do, whether he'll win or lose. That's impossible to predict with a guy who's never been a head coach.

Q: What's your take on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's rocky season?

A: There's the theory he was brought back too soon. There's a theory that the (motorcycle) accident and the appendectomy were what ruined his season. But in my view, the thing that ruined the season was that the offensive line - not each man, but as a unit -- the offensive line stunk. He got no protection in many of the games, that is.

Q: Do you question the coaches playing Roethlisberger the way they did, starting him in so many early season games?

A: The guy's a football player. The doc said he was ready. So play him. I still believe he's going to be a great quarterback. I may be all wet on that, but that continues to be my belief, as it was from the beginning.

Q: Is it time for Mario Lemieux and the Penguins to get the deal done with the city and state and secure their future here?

A: The sooner it gets done the better I'll feel, because I think it's very important when you look at Pittsburgh as a city and region. That's where I'm coming from. It's still a major-league team. I hope it's concluded in a positive way. Not only do the Penguins have a team that looks like it's going to be special for a long time, it's important to businesses around town. But I've always been a lousy negotiator from the time I sold my first house, so who am I to sit here and guess what's going to happen over there?

Q: Many golfers would sell their second car for a tee time at Oakmont Country Club, the site of this year's U.S. Open. You've often said you don't care for the course. Why's that?

A: Understand that I still haven't broken 100 (anywhere), and I never will. So putting me out on Oakmont, you're putting the wrong guy out there. After playing the place several times, I came to the conclusion that it was no fun spending the day in sand. So for at least 15 years now I've turned down invitations to play there because when you go out to play golf, you should have fun. And I had to give up golf five years ago because my legs won't take it.

Q: Where do you see Pitt's football program headed under coach Dave Wannstedt?

A: First of all, the Big East has turned out to be a much tougher football conference than anyone expected. It may be tougher than the ACC, where the faint of heart, or the greedy, moved to from the Big East. So far, the Big East is looking like one tough league, so Dave's job ain't going to be easy. It appears Dave has always been very good at recruiting because he does get his character across to these recruits. And since I've retired from radio and television, I'm no longer a journalist when I'm at a football game or watching one on TV. Now I can be a fan. And I'm a Pitt fan and alum, and I'm rooting like heck for Dave. It's a luxury that I have now.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_495491.html
Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Default Re: Q&A: Myron Cope

Good stuff...thanks for posting. I wish I were able to hear some of Cope's broadcasts. I bet he was a hoot to listen to.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

man i absolutely love myron.....miss him a ton.....reminds me of my youth
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Cope was on Sports Beat last night and while he was his usual self, he was not sounding much better. Although to my surprise he stayed on Savern for the full hour. Normally Stans interviews are only a half hour long. Cope also has a DVD out (almost two hours long for $18.99) pertaining to his career and his best sound bites.

Anyways, he went on to say that he predicted a horrible season last year. His reasoning.......the Steelers were being led by a "lame duck coach". Was laughing when I heard that one.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Good Interview. I have Double Yoi to. So it's like I have a writting by my own favorite broadcaster of all time. It would have been nice to hear him broadcast another Steelers game in Super Bowl XL.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Cope was on Sports Beat last night and while he was his usual self, he was not sounding much better. Although to my surprise he stayed on Savern for the full hour. Normally Stans interviews are only a half hour long. Cope also has a DVD out (almost two hours long for $18.99) pertaining to his career and his best sound bites.

Anyways, he went on to say that he predicted a horrible season last year. His reasoning.......the Steelers were being led by a "lame duck coach". Was laughing when I heard that one.
Did Myron make a prediction for the coming year?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Did Myron make a prediction for the coming year?
Nope. For the most part he really didn't talk all that much about Tomlin/upcoming season. He mostly talked about this past season/Cowher situation/his DVD.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,508 Times in 3,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Good Interview. I have Double Yoi to. So it's like I have a writting by my own favorite broadcaster of all time. It would have been nice to hear him broadcast another Steelers game in Super Bowl XL.
Myron is a true legend but knew he had been slipping. I give him major credit for steppping down before he completely lost it; he literally would have been allowed to stay in the booth until he died.

For example, in Georgia Larry Munson is the 85 year old legendary radio announcer for UGA football (for UGA football he is what Bob Prince was to the Pirates and Myron was to the Steelers combined). Munson will be back for home games only this year due to health problems that prevent travel after getting to the point he can no longer get the player, down or distance right anymore.

At some point you best honor your fans by letting go.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
atrus20
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1207

It was always entertaining listening to Myron especially during a big play. I loved how he got excited when the Steelers would bust out a play for a big gain. I miss his broadcasts. :(
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Nope. For the most part he really didn't talk all that much about Tomlin/upcoming season. He mostly talked about this past season/Cowher situation/his DVD.
Always the gentleman...stepping down really means "stepping down" to him

(Hats Off)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote