Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
abowens
Water Boy

Member Number: 5079
Default Porter sacrificed for Polamalu & Faneca?

Joey will be missed; maybe more for his personality than his play. He did not have a good season but what Steeler (other than Willie) did? Regardless, Joey views himself as more valuable than he is. I am certain that the Steelers worked hard to get him a deal [I]they could live with.

We all know they could not hope to pay Joey, Troy and Alan. Joey is the most expendable. Now, if they don't move quickly and lock up Troy and Faneca I'd be upset.

As for Joey, I really think the Raiders would be a good fit. I know Joey's got to "take care of his family" since he has never made any money, so anytime a good true Steeler bolts for more money (since they've never made any) I wish them all the best - except for a winning end to their career. I guess I expect too much when I think the players should be as loyal to the Steelers as we fans are!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Default Re: Porter sacrificed for Polamalu & Faneca?

Well said abowens, but the fact remains that Tomlin and company did not win any brownie points with me today...........

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Porter can be replaced, but I really think that maybe it was to
help resign Polomalu and if that is what it takes then so
be it... Faneca is coming to the end of his tenure
at LG and a replacement needs to be found
for Farrior and Foote as well....
Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
abowens
Water Boy

There is a young free agent LB from the Pats - Tully Bantikane (I know I did not spell that right) They were talking with him on Sirius NFL Afternoon Blitz. He's kind of under the radar but sounds solid. Might they go after him? Are there any other free agents LB's on the radar that could be had?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

this just sucks for me. i really hate this offseason. nothing good has come from it or the entire regular season either. i honestly do not know who is going to lead that defense now. there is no lloyd or porter to get the d fired up.. they are a pretty quiet bunch.. i dont know.. im just upset right now.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i honestly do not know who is going to lead that defense now. there is no lloyd or porter to get the d fired up.. they are a pretty quiet bunch.. i dont know.. im just upset right now.
I agree - I think we will feel Joey's absence more in leadership than anything else. Taz is more a "lead by example" kind of guy, but for every quiet leader, a vocal one is needed as well. Who will fill that void now? That's the question.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
abowens
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
this just sucks for me. i really hate this offseason. nothing good has come from it or the entire regular season either. i honestly do not know who is going to lead that defense now. there is no lloyd or porter to get the d fired up.. they are a pretty quiet bunch.. i dont know.. im just upset right now.
As much as I enjoyed Joey's mouth, a loud mouth and trash talk don't make a leader or a fierce player. Troy P is as fierce a player as Porter ever was and he's quiet. Casey Hampton is quiet but he's a strong stable personality. Someone will step up. His absence will create a vaccum that has to be filled.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
abowens
Water Boy

...and I guarantee you there is some guy on that defense that will jump at the opportunity to take Porter's place behind a microphone. He's just been waiting for his chance to talk his trash. I just hope whoever it is can back it up like Joey could!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by abowens View Post
As much as I enjoyed Joey's mouth, a loud mouth and trash talk don't make a leader or a fierce player. Troy P is as fierce a player as Porter ever was and he's quiet. Casey Hampton is quiet but he's a strong stable personality. Someone will step up. His absence will create a vaccum that has to be filled.
if i had to bet on anyone id bet farrior would be the guy. him and joey seemed to feed off each other quite a bit. farrior isnt going to be nearly as loud as joey, but he is still a great vet who definitely gets his choice words in.
keep in mind there is no bill anymore either. i havent seen tomlin on the sidelines but i can guarantee you he isnt a cowher motivational wise... thats just the honest to God truth.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Anyway we could dip Lambert and Ham in a fountain of youth somewhere? LB problem solved. j/k
Closed Thread