Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-22-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs up Ward says deal is imminent

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_366082.html

For the first time since renegotiations began on his contract extension, Pro Bowl wide receiver Hines Ward said the two sides are on the verge of an agreement.
"It's close. It's close," Ward said late Saturday night, after he played sparingly in a 17-3 preseason win over the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field. "As far as (my agent) told me, it's close. It's just a matter of when. I don't know when. I just have to go out there and continue to fight to get better and not get hurt."

Ward confirmed that the Steelers and his representative, Eugene Parker, have been talking frequently. He also said he feels a sense of satisfaction in knowing the sides are moving toward a resolution.

"We're meeting. It's negotiating," he said. "It's just like when you buy a house. You get a listing price, you go in and put your offer in, then they come in and counter it. You come in, you meet each other halfway - and that's what we're doing right now."

Ward reported to the Steelers a week ago after a 15-day holdout. He was told renegotiations on his current deal, which pays him $1.66 million in its final season, would cease until he reported.

He'd been offered the richest contract in Steelers history, but turned it down prior to the holdout. The Steelers countered, but Ward turned it down.

But the numbers appear to be more agreeable for the two sides, given Ward's recent comments. He is seeking a lucrative signing bonus, which is likely to be in excess of $9 million.

"Things are coming," said the four-time Pro Bowler. "Numbers? I don't know numbers. I don't want to know numbers. (My agent) gave me a ballpark figure somewhere, but I don't know where they're at with their ballpark figures."

By all indications, the deal should be struck before the season opener Sept. 11 against Tennessee at Heinz Field. Ward said he isn't making an all-out push to get things done.

"It's out of my hands," he said.

He continues to fear being injured before a deal is complete. The thought even crossed his mind several times before Saturday's game against the Dolphins, his first since returning to the team. Ward played in a little more than a series and had one catch for 3 yards.

"It's starting to get out of my mind," Ward said of the injury concerns. "Just being out there, I can only play one way. But at the same time, going into the game, you're thinking and you're thinking about it. It popped in there, but when I got on the field, I concentrated on what I was doing and that really took over. I didn't play much, but I feel good being out there."

Ward's only catch came up a yard short of a first down, because he broke off his pattern too early.

"I need to get back out there and to get the game feeling down," Ward said. "I'm still not where I want to be as far as running routes, you saw that. But it's only Day 3 (since returning to the field). It's not a big thing. I'm going to get there. I can tell you I'm going to get there."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Ward says deal is imminent

As I said in the other thread this is good news. I can't wait till he is signed!
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
steelersgirl86
Starter

Member Number: 331

I agree we will all be happy when it is signed and over....
Old 08-22-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 66

I love Hines, but I am tired of spoiled, rich athletes. Me, me, me is all they know. The fans are the ones who buy tickets, jerseys, hats, beer, and so on that keeps the NFL going. How about playing a GAME (and that is all football is) for the fans and love of the game. Not your bank book. How can 1.6 million in a year not be enough?
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
blairsummit
Water Boy

Member Number: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersWyo
I love Hines, but I am tired of spoiled, rich athletes. Me, me, me is all they know. The fans are the ones who buy tickets, jerseys, hats, beer, and so on that keeps the NFL going. How about playing a GAME (and that is all football is) for the fans and love of the game. Not your bank book. How can 1.6 million in a year not be enough?
because its not for him. look what he has done over the last four years. he is the face of our franchise. all he is asking for is a little respect from the franchise. he is asking to be payed for what he does. and he does it extremely well. he isnt a "terrell owens" looking to make the max contract. ward is only 39th highest paid at his posistion. that to me is garbage. he deserves at least top 10 or top 5 money. i support hines. he needs a new contract. him being paid 1.6 million for making the pro bowl four years running and about to break team records for recieving is crap. he deserves his money he is asking for.

Here we STEELERS here we go!
blairsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairsummit
because its not for him. look what he has done over the last four years. he is the face of our franchise. all he is asking for is a little respect from the franchise. he is asking to be payed for what he does. and he does it extremely well. he isnt a "terrell owens" looking to make the max contract. ward is only 39th highest paid at his posistion. that to me is garbage. he deserves at least top 10 or top 5 money. i support hines. he needs a new contract. him being paid 1.6 million for making the pro bowl four years running and about to break team records for recieving is crap. he deserves his money he is asking for.
Ya know, I think we all miss the fact that it's a contract! I agree, he's out played his contract and should be taken care of, which he is. But tell me this, what would have happened, if say he stunk? Say five years ago he signed the same deal, came in and caught 24, 30 32, 28, 33 balls for those five years? Would Ward be lobbying that they should cut his pay because he hasn't played that well and doesn't deserve 1.6 million? That is the point of a contract, you sign a deal and you should fulfill it, that's how it used to be viewed.

The new "super agents" have totally skewed that view and this is what happens. I think it is a nice gesture when owners recognize that a player has performed better than expected and rework a deal for them but it SHOULD NOT be expected by the player! If players or agents feel so strongly about reworking deals, why don't they go with full incentive based contracts, or why not only sign one year deals so each year you can maximize your yearly salary??? In my opinion its greed, they want the long term deal for security, they want the signing bonus up front, and then they want to rework the deal before the contract expires....Think about it, thats pretty pathetic.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
blairsummit
Water Boy

Member Number: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
Ya know, I think we all miss the fact that it's a contract! I agree, he's out played his contract and should be taken care of, which he is. But tell me this, what would have happened, if say he stunk? Say five years ago he signed the same deal, came in and caught 24, 30 32, 28, 33 balls for those five years? Would Ward be lobbying that they should cut his pay because he hasn't played that well and doesn't deserve 1.6 million? That is the point of a contract, you sign a deal and you should fulfill it, that's how it used to be viewed.

The new "super agents" have totally skewed that view and this is what happens. I think it is a nice gesture when owners recognize that a player has performed better than expected and rework a deal for them but it SHOULD NOT be expected by the player! If players or agents feel so strongly about reworking deals, why don't they go with full incentive based contracts, or why not only sign one year deals so each year you can maximize your yearly salary??? In my opinion its greed, they want the long term deal for security, they want the signing bonus up front, and then they want to rework the deal before the contract expires....Think about it, thats pretty pathetic.
i dont know, but what i do know is he deserves what he is asking for.

Here we STEELERS here we go!
blairsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 66

What a skewed view of the world people seem to have. He is "owed" or is "worth" it. Come on. He signed a contract and should live with it. When a person joins the Marines he has to do the full 4-6 years. No ifs, ands, or buts!!! Your bank will let you try and refinance your home loan, but if no one signs you to a new one guess what? You still have to make the payment under the old terms. Just because he catches a football real well ( and other players) the rules should be different? If any of use does not meet the terms of a contract we signed it could be court or jail time. Maybe when I get tired of my Tahoe I can just void my payment contract and GM will have to give me an Escalade. Stop letting your love of football and the Steelers cloud your objectivity.
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I disagree a little with everyone saying this is like a contract on the outside. One it isnt sure money. So if he feels he could get more money then he by all means has the right to seek out more. Don't you ask your boss for a raise every now and then or do you just let the company decide for you? But like the outside world there are politics to consider. TO is on the wrong side cause he got a contract that has "fair market value" and is pitching a fit. That is like the highest paid employee complaining they have to walk to far from their reserved spot in the parking lot. No one wants to hear it. Ward though has some arguements about desrving more money. So he does what happens on the outside. He calls in sick a few times so the boss will know how valuable he is. Doesn't make it public or a press fit fest, just gets the "blue flu" for a little. Then talks can happen. Two, he wouldn't be doing this if he caught 25-30 passes a year. I can only think of maybe one or two holdouts who try crazy stuff like that based on poor numbers. But just like us, they don't give the money back either. Have any of you given salary back if company goals were not met? So while the contracts are different, the tatics used in getting paid are the same.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

IronCityChief, how can you compare what Ward did to calling off sick? He said no I'm not coming to camp until I get a new deal. Kind of like saying to your boss, no I'm not coming to work until you give me that raise, what employer would honor that? You'd be fired before you could say hahaah I was just joking.

Why are NFL players any different? They say its their job, it's their employement. A contract is a contract, guaranteed money or not, its still a commitement they made and should honor. I agree, Hines outplayed his contact, and it would be a very nice thing for the Front Office to rework his deal, but NOT mandatory.

Your right, he would not be doing this if he caught 25 or 30 balls a year, but given his current contract and pretending he did catch 25-30 balls wouldn't 1.6 mill a year be too high ? A player would never say, I under perfomed, so don't pay me as much this year, I didn't deserve it. But they sure are quick to say hey look what I did, pay me more or I'm not going to play this year. Its BS!