Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default our new defense?

look at what is happening, we resign our DE to a big contract and release our best 3-4 linebacker and we sign a 4-3 minded coach. I know this has been brought up a few times but i think it is starting to take place.using the 4-3 would cause our LB to play more man coverage and Joey wasnt really good at much besides out wrestling a 330 lb. offensive tackle. all of our other LBs can cover, so i think we will draft a top DT in the first round and start playing the 4-3.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759
Default Re: our new defense?

listen to our coach: he is a "personnel" guy and NOT a "scheme" guy...don't read more into this than you should. smith is still an impact player...porter was wanting SIX MILLION this season and he was UNhappy with that. this move was all about money, plain and simple.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

With all due respects, 19ward86... It is a money and salary cap issue, not a scheme issue.

It is obvious to me that the Steelers know what they are doing. The one flaw many teams have is becoming emotionally attached to a player and holding on to him too long. This is not the case with the Steelers. They know that they are better off getting rid of people that are on the downhill side of the their career and replace them with younger talent that are willing to do the same work or more cheaper. Just how many defensive players have we let go that have went on to be great with their new team? I can name about three in the last 15 years. Not bad.

It doesn't pay for a Steelers fan to get attached to any one player. People that become attached to a player are "player" fans. Players come and go. It is a part of the game if you are a fan for long. (since 1971 for me)

Instead, fans need to be "Steelers" fans. It is a lot less stressful way to enjoy the game. Allow players to come and go. I am not saying that a person that likes a particular player is not a "Steelers" fan. There are tendencies among fans, either player or team fans.

I am originally from the Findlay, OH area (Big Ben country). I have seen the town go from primarily a Clowns fan territory to a Big Ben/Steelers fan territory. I will be interested to see what happens when BR is no longer the Steelers QB. There will be some people that will remain Steelers fans, but some will lose interest because they are not Steelers fans in the true sense of the word.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

nice post

its easier said than done sometimes, but i agree
Old 03-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew102e View Post
its easier said than done sometimes
I guess I've gone through my share of "favorite players" in all my years.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

i still miss greg lloyd, kevin green, rod woodson, etc. and cowher, i'll miss him most of all
Old 03-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
dSharp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2302

I was born in 1978, born and raised in Uniontown, PA.. there was nothing to watch on my tv unless it was Steeler football, Penguins hockey, Penn State football, or WWF Wrestling.

Probably the worst one for me was seeing Woodson go. He was one of my first "favorite players" since I was old enough to start understanding everything. Kevin Greene was another one.
dSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

6 million dollars is not a lot for a big time LB, he will probably get more than that from another team. he is not fit for the 4-3, i agree with letting him go even though he is my fav. defensive player because i knew about the salary cap. but listen to this, our salary cap didnt affect the decision to giving aaron smith a 30-somethin million dollar deal.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,393 Times in 3,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
but listen to this, our salary cap didnt affect the decision to giving aaron smith a 30-somethin million dollar deal.
actually id say it did. a. smith was a huge cap hit going into the immediate future.

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/arti...Salary_Cap.htm

Quote:
2. Next, I want to discuss Aaron Smith and Alan Faneca together, since each case is fairly similar. The first big similarity is, I believe, that the Steelers want these players on the team after 2007. Although aging, they both seem capable of being contributors well into their early to mid 30?s. Both are quality locker room guys and have represented the Steelers extremely well. And both players play positions we are somewhat unsure of past the 2007 season. Another similarity is each player?s 2007 cap number is significantly higher than their projected ?take-home? pay. Smith will pocket $4.85 million while his cap hit is $7.2 million. Faneca will pocket $4.5 million while his cap hit is $6.1 million. Given these facts, a 2-3 extension (through 2009 or 2010), with a reduction in 2007 base salary, but a decent sized signing bonus reduces both player?s cap hit substantially. If you can convince either player to take a pay-cut (which might be possible) to go along with the extension, the cap number even gets better.

Example: Aaron Smith is set to make $4.85 million next year. A 2-year extension with a change in his 2007 base salary to $1.5 million and a $3.5 million SB would net Smith the same take-home pay, however would reflect on the Steelers cap as only $5 million in 2007. Realistic salaries for 2008 and 2009 could also be arranged which will provide manageable salary cap figure for these years also. Even if Smith is cut before the 2009 season, he?d only be $1.125 million in dead money, which seems reasonable.

tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I kind of agree that there are signs that we are gonna be
going to the 4-3 sooner than later. And to be honest, I am kind of looking forward to the change.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote