Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #101
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: New Arena chances looking bleak again

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yes, but you're forgetting one major factor in all of this - the almighty dollar. You don't think the owners' votes couldn't be "bought," so to speak? That they couldn't somehow be convinced that the league, and therefore they, would make more money if the Pens move? Well I do. Why? Because greed trumps all.

I trust NO ONE in this saga.
I don't agree with this theory at all, as most of the owners have been around the NHL long enough to see which franchises are marketable and which are not. KC has already been tried and has failed. I don't believe for one minute that any owner would stoop that low. I'm still keeping the faith that a deal is going to get done.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #102
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Well, I was almost wrong. This thing is still up in the air. The momentum is back in Pittsburgh's court now, now will we seize the moment and score our Pens back? Stay tuned to the next episode of "As the Penguins turn".

Kuck Fansas City!
Well I do not think many were expecting a clear cut answer last night. Were you? While a deal is not complete, I'll take "significant progress" and "very constructive" over reports of "talks failing" and Fast Eddie pounding his fists on the table like the PGG article stated (first time I heard he did that in a Pgh article and found it very interesting).

Anyways, here's to hoping Wednesday turns out just as well. Keep the faith!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-09-2007 at 07:09 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #103
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Penguins fans give politicians the cold shoulder

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 9, 2007

To best describe her feelings about the cloud of uncertainty hovering above her favorite hockey team, Natalie Sciulli called upon a classic Tom Petty tune.

"The waiting has been the hardest part," Sciulli, 20, said. "That's been the worst part, actually. The possibility of (a new arena deal) getting done and then it not getting done -- it's been really hard."

The Penguins' game against the New Jersey Devils at Mellon Arena on Thursday was "at least the 20th of the season" for Sciulli, of Crafton. She attended with her younger sister, Michelle, 16, who claimed to have been at every home game.

Like dozens among the sold-out crowd last night, the Sciullis arrived armed with a sign that showed great displeasure with public officials' inability to reach a deal on a new Uptown arena that would keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh.

The sign was a play on the popular Geico caveman commercials. It read: "Keeping the Pens here so easy a POLITICIAN can do it."

Gov. Ed Rendell's name was not very popular inside the NHL's oldest building last night even as he, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato and Mayor Luke Ravenstahl met with Penguins co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ronald Burkle in Philadelphia in an attempt to end the arena saga.

Numerous fans came to the arena wearing yellow T-shirts with one message: "STAY." One fan wore a self-made jersey that read "Relocate Rendell." Hanging signs stated "Someone Is About To 2 Lose 17,000 Votes" and "If You Build It We Will Come."

A popular team Internet message board had challenged fans to show support for a new arena by starting a "Save the Pens!" chant to open the game. It worked.

Walking along a concourse prior to the national anthem, Matt Wilberger, 22, of Sewickley, proudly sported an old Hartford Whalers replica jersey. That team moved to Carolina in 1997, and Wilberger hoped somebody would take notice of the connection.

"It could happen to us," Wilberger said, flashing a crossed-out Whalers crest with "Save the Pens!" inked on the duct tape.

Jack Haughey did not want to hear any such talk.

"Look around," said Haughey, 68, of McKeesport. "These are great hockey fans. A lot of other cities aren't selling out. We are."

Haughey was at the game with his wife, Nancy, 67. The couple has owned a 20-game plan for years.

"And we plan on keeping it for years to come, into a new arena," Nancy Haughey said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496915.html
I'm sure we will see the same atmosphere at the Pens/Rangers game tomorrow afternoon! I'm glad people are letting their voices be heard.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #104
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Yes, but you're forgetting one major factor in all of this - the almighty dollar. You don't think the owners' votes couldn't be "bought," so to speak? That they couldn't somehow be convinced that the league, and therefore they, would make more money if the Pens move? Well I do. Why? Because greed trumps all.

I trust NO ONE in this saga.
What money? We're talking about Kansas City here! There's not enough money in the world to get the NHL to move it's best young team to that backwards hick town.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #105
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I don't agree with this theory at all, as most of the owners have been around the NHL long enough to see which franchises are marketable and which are not. KC has already been tried and has failed. I don't believe for one minute that any owner would stoop that low. I'm still keeping the faith that a deal is going to get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
What money? We're talking about Kansas City here! There's not enough money in the world to get the NHL to move it's best young team to that backwards hick town.
Hey, I know it's farfetched, but we're talking about millions of dollars here. Many businessmen would sell out their own mother if it could make them a few million bucks more, and I'm quite sure it isn't any different among the NHL owners. And Ed Rendell simply does not care about Pittsburgh, plain and simple. I'm sorry, but I just can't share your optimism - the only way I'll feel optimistic is if they announce a tentative agreement. Until then, I believe the moving trucks are standing by.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #106
Jeremy
Banned

The NHL has been forced to look at the long term health of their league this past season. The vast majority of America doesn't give a damn for hockey right now. I'd be willing to bet that most people couldn't tell you what channel OLN was on their local cable system. The BOG will not be dumb enough to allow the strongest current US hockey market to be abandoned so that one of their teams can go to a market which will not support hockey.

If the NHL somehow does allow this to go through, I'm done with hockey for a long time.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #107
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Hey, I know it's farfetched, but we're talking about millions of dollars here. Many businessmen would sell out their own mother if it could make them a few million bucks more, and I'm quite sure it isn't any different among the NHL owners. And Ed Rendell simply does not care about Pittsburgh, plain and simple. I'm sorry, but I just can't share your optimism - the only way I'll feel optimistic is if they announce a tentative agreement. Until then, I believe the moving trucks are standing by.

The league is better off monetarily if the Pens stay in Pittsburgh, plain and simple. The top hockey cities, the prime time games and the press are based in the east. The crazy NHL schedule has east teams mostly playing other east teams. The league needs Sidney Crosby in the east.

The Pens too will be better off (if they get an arena) monetarily (long term) if they stay in Pgh. Do you wonder why, with free rent they aren't already in KC? Its because the fan base is in Pgh to support the team---buying tickets, buying jerseys, buys stuff. You can have the best arena in the world for free, but without fans your team won't survive.

I am cautiously optimistic. Everyone--(league, Pa officials, Pens owners, media) knows that the team staying in Pgh is best for EVERYONE. The deal just needs to get done.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #108
Jeremy
Banned

The NHL would suffer a huge financial and PR blow if the Penguins wind up in Kansas City. I'm sorry KC, but you're not a hockey town. There is nothing there to indicate to me that KC would support a hockey team. After the novelty wears off, they'll treat the Penguins like the Royals.

But don't worry KC. You built an arena with the hopes that someone would be dumb enough to relocate a team to your city. It will happen. The Nashville Predators are looking for a new home as are the Seattle Super Sonics. It's going to happen sooner or later. But it won't happen at the expense of a real sports city.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #109
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Penguins' arena negotiations details kept quiet

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 10, 2007

Public officials are trying to close a deal for a new Uptown arena that would keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato said Friday.

That's why they agreed to say little publicly about negotiations with the team after a meeting in Philadelphia, which produced an agreement to meet again Wednesday.

The talks are focused on "a lot of details with leases, with debt service, with financing," Onorato said. Asked what sticking point was holding up an agreement, he said, "I'm not even going to say there is any."

"Our concern is to get a deal done, and we don't want to disrupt that by having misinformation get out there," Onorato said. "Right now, we're trying to close the deal."

Team owners and public officials met for more than four hours Thursday, and a spokesman reported "significant progress" toward an arena financing agreement. The Penguins' lease at Mellon Arena expires in June.

For a new arena, team owners have agreed to pay $3.6 million annually for 30 years in rent and $400,000 a year for capital improvements. The team has said it also would pay $500,000 a year for a parking garage.

"We're getting there," Onorato said. "We had a good meeting. We have another one scheduled, and that's good news."

The arena would be built on property owned by the city-county Sports & Exhibition Authority between Centre and Fifth avenues. The agency plans to break ground by September and complete construction by fall 2009.

This week's meeting included team co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle, Gov. Ed Rendell, Onorato and Mayor Luke Ravenstahl. National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman mediated the talks.

"We had a productive meeting last night, and we're optimistic because of the agreement to meet next Wednesday," Ravenstahl said.

Neither the Penguins nor the NHL would comment.

Penguins officials were scheduled to meet today in Los Angeles with officials from AEG, the company hired to operate Kansas City's new Sprint Center, said Steve Glorioso, spokesman for Kansas City's mayor. Burkle is a close friend of AEG President Tim Leiweke, and the two are neighbors in a suburb of Beverly Hills.

"(Burkle and Leiweke) speak on a regular basis, and I absolutely expect that they will be talking to each other over the next few days," said AEG spokesman Michael Roth.

After declaring an impasse in talks for a Pittsburgh arena on Monday, the Penguins renewed discussion with AEG officials in Los Angeles on Wednesday. In January, Lemieux and Burkle toured the Sprint Center construction site during a visit to Kansas City. The building is expected to open in October.

Glorioso earlier this week confirmed that AEG improved its offer of free rent and partial revenues for the Penguins, but he did not know specifics of the deal. Kansas City has been trying to lure the team to play there beginning next season.

Ravenstahl said no one involved in Thursday's discussion mentioned the subject of the Penguins making more trips to interested cities. Burkle met Wednesday with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman.

"We really didn't get into that," Ravenstahl said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496987.html
Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #110
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Good Idea keeping negotiations quiet. They know what happend the last time they revealed anything from the talks.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote