Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #31
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: New Arena chances looking bleak again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo View Post
I'm still holding faith that these two sides will agree. I mean Pittsburgh losing a major sports team? You are right this would look horrible on the officials resumes. As for the voting. I agree with voting for the right person. Not just the party. I am registered as a Democrat and the only reason I did that is to vote for Bobby O'Connor in the primaries. Otherwise I would be undecided or whatever category they put you under lol.
Good reason to vote "D". I've stated before I met O'Connor at an Italian gentlemen's club off of Larimer Avenue and he came off as a stand-up guy. It's a shame we won't ever be able to experience what he could have brought to this city.

I'm with you, it is tough think about this city losing a sports team. Unfortunately and it pains me to say it, I'm sure the same was being said in Minnesota and Hartford.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #32
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

That's disappoints me the most is that we have a young and impiring Penguins team just coming into their own, and this is a win-win situation. Pittsburgh gets a shiny new arena for concerts, more people will move in, and the city garners more revenue. If the Pens leave town, the Steelers are our only hope. I wouldn't count on the Pirates doing Jack chit for the next couple of years as long as the Nutcases still own the team and Mclutchy continues to hype the team with no results.

I hate to say this, but I believe the city lost the Pens. Big Ed's Philly Fix was in when the Pens didn't get the slot licence. My already huge hate for all things Philly will Skyrocket. Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, and now Eddy Rendell. Pittsburgh and the Pens were royally screwed today, and perhaps for the rest of time. I hope I am so wrong. I want to be wrong.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #33
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
I worked in politics for several years, and my biggest problem with the large portion of "leaders" in PA are that they are not leaders--not forward thinkers. Everything is a knee-jerk reaction to the "now" problem not a decision based on what is important long term for the region. And those are the good politicians---the bad ones are solely interested in their power and pocketbooks and they posture by banging on the table in meetings to make it look like their doing something.

So if this were the Flyers, do we think this would even be an issue? A deal would have been done last year----actually the fix would have been in for Isle of Capri.
The thinking of the politicians in PA is reflective of the thinking of the overwhelming majority of PA and particularly here in SW PA - the "status quo" reigns supreme. The people are so afraid of change or any kind of innovative thinking that they'd rather see the region sink into the abyss rather than come up with new ideas to make the city viable again...so long as they aren't inconvenienced. Look at all of the bitching and moaning over plans to redevelop the Fifth and Forbes corridor downtown as proof positive of what I'm talking about.

But if this was the Flyers, the deal would have been done months or even years ago - Rendell would have made sure of it. He will always favor Philly and SE PA at every turn, and screw everyone else.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #34
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
That's disappoints me the most is that we have a young and impiring Penguins team just coming into their own, and this is a win-win situation. Pittsburgh gets a shiny new arena for concerts, more people will move in, and the city garners more revenue. If the Pens leave town, the Steelers are our only hope. I wouldn't count on the Pirates doing Jack chit for the next couple of years as long as the Nutcases still own the team and Mclutchy continues to hype the team with no results.

I hate to say this, but I believe the city lost the Pens. Big Ed's Philly Fix was in when the Pens didn't get the slot licence. My already huge hate for all things Philly will Skyrocket. Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, and now Eddy Rendell. Pittsburgh and the Pens were royally screwed today, and perhaps for the rest of time. I hope I am so wrong. I want to be wrong.
Dude, I've already come to grips with it, but I'm with you on the hatred of Philly...but KC will be at the top of the list too. I wouldn't care if asteroids dropped from the sky and obliterated both cities at this point - that's how pissed I am over this.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #35
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

I agree with the majority of what you stated except that the "fix was in". I'm not buying it. Rendell was backed by the group in Station Square (which also lost) who gave him thousands when he was running. If the fix was in I would have to believe they would have received the license and not Barden's group.

Eitherway, it's painfully obvious (at least to me) on why Barden got the license. The fix might as well been in.

As for a the rivalry. I dislike Philly but I respect them as a rivalry. Makes for great hockey. I will have NO RESPECT for KC as a hockey city. Much like I have zero respect for Atlanta, Nashville and Florida.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #36
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Question...will the NHL allow them to move? I haven't heard the latest on this. I know supposedly the deal has made progress, but is it enough for the NHL to block it.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #37
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Hmm....politics in da 'Burgh/Western PA sounds similar to politics here in Memphis...bleah.

Anyhoo, I am keeping a good thought for you guys up there that a deal will be reached and the Pens will stay right where they are.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #38
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo View Post
Question...will the NHL allow them to move? I haven't heard the latest on this. I know supposedly the deal has made progress, but is it enough for the NHL to block it.
I'm not exactly sure how that works. I always thought the Penguins/Lemieux would have to get approval from the NHL to move. No matter what (how far or close the deal). I'm simply guessing, but I believe it all depends on how close the goverment's offer is to that of KC's? Eitherway I believe the Penguins can/will take the NHL to court if the NHL does in fact decide to block them from moving and it would be decided then and there. Of course that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm with you though, I have not heard anybody (sports media) bring up the possibility of the NHL blocking a move.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #39
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
Hmm....politics in da 'Burgh/Western PA sounds similar to politics here in Memphis...bleah.

Anyhoo, I am keeping a good thought for you guys up there that a deal will be reached and the Pens will stay right where they are.
Thanks MSG. We need all the good thoughts we can get.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #40
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Mayor 'reached out' to Penguins since getting letter
Still thinks deal is close but no talks set

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

By Rich Lord, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said today that he and other elected leaders have "reached out" to the Penguins since receipt of yesterday's letter from the team declaring talks on a new arena to be at an impasse.

"I still believe that we are very close to getting this deal," he said. He and the team, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Gov. Ed Rendell need to "sit down, talk about the specifics, find out where we're not in agreement, and go from there."

He said, though, that there is as yet no date and time set for a resumption of negotiations with the team. He would not provide details on who reached out to whom.

"They have become frustrated," he said of the team. "I can tell you that in many ways, we have become frustrated," he said of the elected officials.

Minutes before the mayor's news conference, mayoral challenger Councilman William Peduto charged that the failure of negotiations to produce a deal in more than two months was "what happens when you don't have someone who has experience" in the mayor's post.

Mr. Ravenstahl was a council member for nearly three years before ascending to the mayor's post.

Mr. Peduto said Mayor Tom Murphy led on development of PNC Park and Heinz Field, and Mr. Ravenstahl should have done the same.

"I'll continue to lend myself to those discussions as I have over the past months," countered the mayor. He said that no one elected leader can get an arena deal done, since the city and county control the land and the governor controls the money.

"Without the governor at the table, there's absolutely no way we could be in discussions to keep the team here," he said.

Mr. Peduto offered his services as a mediator but predicted that the mayor would not take him up on the offer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07065/767234-100.stm