Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #421
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: New Arena Discussion

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading all of that...

I do know that you guys don't have any idea how absolutely friggin embarrassing this is for me personally. I bust my ass every single day (and night now) to earn my keep like any other American, never complaining, never asking for or demanding a damn thing from anyone...but because of these bums, I get lumped in with them. At least, that's how I feel.

The real sad part about all of this posturing is that they will end up getting everything they want. And by the odd chance that they don't, the arena plans will pass anyway, and they will just have to deal with it.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #422
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Screw them. They want the City and the Pens to pay for their revitalization so they can graffiti it all up and destroy it in a year or two? How about getting a J-O-B and spending some of your "hard earned cash" revitalizing your own damned neighborhood instead of spending it on Wild Irish Rose and crack?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #423
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
1. They're exaggerating and being idiotic

2. Yeah me to. It's rewarding when a bunch of lazy bums are living off of taxes which are contributed through my family and other people's taxes from paychecks. If they want money so bad, why don't they get off their asses and get jobs? I'm 16 and I'm already looking for a job which I can do during the summer when school is out and I'll have a lot more free time before the start of next school year. I also have friends who are in the workforce now and I feel it's unfair that they're paychecks which they have earned so well are being contributed to some of the laziest people.

Your book and mine. They don't get it, NO ONE IS OWED ANYTHING IN LIFE BUT THEIR CIVIL RIGHTS.
They keep bringing up a grocery store. Are they seriously expecting Giant Eagle or Shop N' Save to open up a grocery store in that area? They are better off opening up a store in the Gaza Strip. Maybe, just maybe if stores were not getting knocked off in that area once a week they might have considered it by now.

Maybe they should stop counting on the goverment to clean up the area. Maybe they should start to clean up the area, but that would mean work and determination. Well, whatever they get in that area I know I won't spend a cent. See how long it lasts. Like I said, I just simply laugh when these people spew out what they feel they are owed. It's becoming more and more amusing as the months go by. I'd love to see how many of those people show up to the new arena and support the Penguins. Maybe when they get their handouts they will throw out some cash on tickets? Then again they have to keep their priorities in check, an 8-ball is more important.

But hey, having the top crackhead in the Hill District working behind the concession stand because he was 'given' that job will be great. It will only take about a period and a half to get your dog and beer. My only suggestion to the Penguins, state and city......bring your KY when you do business with these cafones, your going to need it.

(Actual building in the Hill..lol)

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-03-2008 at 10:06 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #424
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Hopefully this is good enough for them even though I doubt it. Can't wait to hear what Mr. Frazier and 'Reverend' Smith have to say about this. I'm sure they will find something else to bitch and moan about.....more, more, more.

Officials unveil plans for Hill District
Thursday, January 03, 2008
By Rich Lord, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl offered representatives of Hill District groups a seven-part community benefits agreement today that included new services, plans and facilities, but not a direct transfer of dollars from a new arena to neighborhood development efforts.

The package is a result of "many meetings and discussions" and represents "significant benefit to the community," according to the cover letter accompanying the proposal.

The package includes a master plan for Hill development, funded by the city and county.

Officials will go to the neighborhood to detail social services and recreational and training opportunities available to residents, and to identify any gaps in the available services.

The city and county will set up and operate a "resource center" to connect people to services and jobs, including those related to the arena project.

Both governments and the Penguins would "support the establishment of a viable grocery store in the Hill District and . . . use good faith efforts to cause that to occur," in the words of the proposal.

Similarly, they pledge their support for a new YMCA in the 2100 block of Centre Avenue, and offer to help win state money toward its development.

The Sports & Exhibition Authority and the Penguins will meet quarterly with neighborhood representatives to discuss design, scheduling, construction, contract opportunities, and job opportunities at the arena.

There is no reference to direct funding for development groups in the Hill District or sharing of arena revenues, which some neighborhood leaders have sought. It isn't clear whether the mayor and executive believe they need community leaders to sign off on the proposal to make it official.

The letter is addressed to Hill House Association Executive Director Evan Frazier, who was not immediately available, and Monumental Baptist Church Rev. Thomas Smith, who had not seen it yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08003/846452-100.stm
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #425
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

And as I expected.........

Arena plan leaves Hill leaders skeptical
Friday, January 04, 2008
By Rich Lord, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Hill District may get a grocery store as part of a new arena plan, but it won't get control over development under a "community benefits agreement" released by city and county officials yesterday.

Hill District leaders noted that if there is an "agreement," it isn't with them.

They said they will confer over the next few days and decide whether to oppose a scheduled Jan. 14 city planning commission vote on the master plan for replacing Mellon Arena.

"There needs to be some negotiations," said Carl Redwood, chairman of a group known as One Hill Community Benefits Agreement Coalition that has lobbied for neighborhood improvements. He said the city of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County and Pittsburgh Penguins should "create a fund with a certain amount set aside to support community development and programming."

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he wants to hear what the neighborhood has to say about the plan, but doesn't think it should include development money.

"I do not anticipate any significant adjustments," he said. "The proposal that we put forth was a fair one."

The three-page plan was included in a letter from Mr. Ravenstahl and county Chief Executive Dan Onorato to Hill House Association Executive Director Evan Frazier and the Rev. Thomas Smith of Monumental Baptist Church.

The two recipients represent separate groups that have demanded a community benefits agreement, like the ones some other neighborhoods nationwide have gotten as part of large developments. They want to ensure that the Hill benefits from the coming $290 million arena, rather than suffering from it as the neighborhood did when Mellon Arena was built in the 1960s.

Under the plan, the city and county will "support the establishment of a viable grocery in the Hill District," meeting a long-standing need of the neighborhood.

Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle is a supermarket baron.

"To the degree that we can use the resources of Mr. Burkle to help us strategically, we'll do that," said Ron Porter, a senior consultant to the team.

The city and county also will help win state funding for a new YMCA in the 2100 block of Centre Avenue, and "set up and staff" a "resource center" with services to help residents find training and jobs, including some at the arena.

Officials will go to the neighborhood to detail social services and recreational and training opportunities already available, and to identify any gaps in the available services.

The city and county also will fund a Hill master plan for development, with community input.

The Sports & Exhibition Authority and the Penguins will meet quarterly with neighborhood representatives to discuss design, scheduling, construction, contract opportunities and jobs at the arena.

The city and county pledge to consult a database put together by Hill District groups when they pick new members for boards and commissions, "especially those related to the social service agencies that are active in or have an impact in the Hill District," according to the plan.

"I think it's a good document," said city Councilwoman Tonya Payne.

She said she'll wait to see what One Hill's negotiating team, led by Mr. Frazier, has to say about it before endorsing or rejecting it.

She said the city and county should be willing to negotiate further.

"This can't be, 'Hey, here's the community benefits agreement,' " she said.

One Hill isn't happy that Mr. Ravenstahl and Mr. Onorato didn't address the demand for community control of development funds.

"They have no problem with giving [the Penguins] the full development rights on the lower Hill" as well as parking and arena revenues, Mr. Redwood said. "When it comes to a community improvement fund, the politicians say 'no.' "

"I was never convinced that [development funding] was appropriate as part of the [community benefits agreement]," said Mr. Ravenstahl. Noting that the city and county already have development agencies, he said, "I believe that process should take place through those authorities."

Mr. Onorato is "committed to building consensus" around the document, said his spokesman, Kevin Evanto.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08004/846626-52.stm
Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #426
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
"The proposal that we put forth was a fair one."
Ya think Luke? Those of us who actually work for a living and give two shits about our communities would agree.

The Penguins are stating they want to help, they are willing to build them a grocery store, a YMCA and a resource center which will probably last about ten years tops.

They stated they will 'give' them jobs even though I see plenty of jobs on Craig's List and www.pittsburghjobs.com. What has stopped them from going out and getting a job before now I will never know exactly.

It appears to me, the scumbags up there are upset because the Penguins will not write them a check and say "Here, do whatever you want with it.". They should be lucky they are getting anything at all. F-ing amazing.

What amazes me even more is that the city, state nor the Penguins will not flat out say "Enough is enough. Take it or leave it.". The media in this city has kept quiet on this topic. I'm sure the last thing they need is the ever ready and commonly used race card pulled on them. Who needs that B.S.?

Take it or leave it. Take what is being handed out to you. Apparently pride and self respect was thrown out the window a long time ago, so take it and STFU.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #427
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

*Drum roll please*

And the first homicide of 2008 goes to...............

The lovely part of Pittsburgh known as the Hill District!!!

http://www.wpxi.com/news/14990358/detail.html

Penguins, city and state officials, tell them what they won!!!!

Use "good faith efforts" to establish a grocery store in the Hill District.

• Support the YMCA, set to be built in the 2100 block of Centre Avenue, and pursue grants for development.

• Hold quarterly meetings to update the community on the arena design, construction and job opportunities for Hill District residents.

• Set up and staff a "resource center" for at least two years in the Hill District to help people get job training and social services.

• Assess how drug, alcohol, mental health, recreational and youth programs are serving the neighborhood.

• Develop a master plan that would recommend how to develop land around the arena based on community input.

• Consult a database of Hill District residents for potential appointments to city and county boards, authorities and commissions -- particularly those dealing with social services or the Hill District.

Congratulations Hill District residents, you make Pittsburgh proud!!! We are known as a "hard working, blue collar town" where the citizens actually contribute something to society, you folks up there in the Hill are the reason why we have that tag!!!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #428
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Pens give Aramark deal for arena concessions
By Mike Wereschagin
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Aramark extended its dominance of Pittsburgh's professional sports concession stands today with the announcement of a 10-year contract for the new Penguins arena, scheduled to open in the fall of 2010.

The Philadelphia-based food service giant also will run the new arena's retail stores, kiosks, luxury suites, clubs and a planned restaurant, the company said. Aramark has run Mellon Arena's concession stands since 1991, and does the same for the Steelers and Pirates. The company runs retail shops at Mellon Arena and PNC Park, as well, said Aramark spokesman David Freireich.

Aramark executives already are collaborating with Penguins executives on desiging the food and retail portions of the planned Hill District arena, which is expected to cost about $300 million and is being paid for by the Penguins, gambling revenue and about $20 million in tax dollars.

Freireich declined to disclose how much the exclusive contract is worth.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_546426.html
Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #429
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Hill leaders push for arena accord
Wednesday, January 09, 2008
By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hill District leaders pressed their case for a legally binding benefits agreement for a new arena yesterday, even as their pleas seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Less than 24 hours after rejecting an offer from Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato, the One Hill Community Benefits Agreement Coalition led a bus tour through the neighborhood to show off potential development sites that could be helped by such a deal.

Carl Redwood, chairman of One Hill, urged Mr. Ravenstahl and Mr. Onorato to return to the bargaining table to negotiate a community benefits agreement "in good faith" by next week, or the group will seek to block city planning commission approval of a master plan for the new arena.

"We demand that they come back to the table because they're treating us with disrespect," he said.

Mr. Redwood said the seven-part proposal offered by the mayor and chief executive was a "decree," not a negotiated agreement with legally binding commitments and penalties for noncompliance.

The offer included development of a master plan, establishment of a job placement office and promises to encourage construction of a supermarket, but One Hill criticized its vagueness.

The group said it wants to see commitments on funding for a grocery and a community center, concrete goals for the number and quality of jobs to be produced by the arena development, and assurances that a proposed master plan "would have community ownership and direction."

Despite the pressure, Mr. Ravenstahl doesn't anticipate major changes to the proposed agreement, even as he said he recognized that the Hill District groups "have some concerns."

"I don't anticipate any significant movement from the seven points. ... I don't anticipate adding additional points," he said.

He said a pledge to make a good-faith effort to lure a grocery store to the neighborhood doesn't need any additional detail.

"None of us have a reason to not do everything we can to help put a grocery store in the Hill. ... My efforts will be there to leverage funding" and work with the Penguins to bring a store.

While Mr. Onorato said he's willing to continue talking with Hill groups about a benefits agreement, he said that common goals, including development of the 28-acre Mellon Arena site and the Hill District above Crawford Square, can be achieved without such a deal.

"If it includes a CBA, great. If we can't come to a consensus on the terms, I think we should still push forward with the common goal of developing the 28 acres and development above Crawford [Square] with input from the community," he said.

Mr. Ravenstahl and Mr. Onorato said they won't buckle to a demand for a separate development process or development funding stream for the Hill. That, Mr. Ravenstahl said, would circumvent the public processes already in place that govern development in the city and county.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08009/847721-61.stm
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #430
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Hmmmm, homicide in the hill? Is there real reason for us to need to bargain with them? Maybe they could use the money they have to fight the crime first. More of it needs to go into fighting crime there. If they do that, that will be a big step forward.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote