Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Post No 3rd QB ??

Its a possibility...

That competition between Charlie Batch and Brian St. Pierre for the No. 3 quarterback job might be no contest at all. There might be no No. 3 quarterback job with the Steelers this season.

"You have to entertain all those things," coach Bill Cowher said yesterday. "Right now, there's a lot of different combinations that come up, and I don't know if I'm leaning one way or the other."

The Steelers began last season with two quarterbacks on their 53-man roster and went most of the way with only two available. St. Pierre opened 2004 on the practice squad as Cowher decided to carry only starter Tommy Maddox and rookie Ben Roethlisberger.

They added St. Pierre to the 53-man roster Sept. 18 because Roethlisberger had a sore knee. Coincidentally, the next day Maddox's elbow was injured in the second game of the season. But that still left only two healthy quarterbacks available. Once Maddox healed, St. Pierre was waived Nov. 13, and they stayed with two quarterbacks until Dec. 31, when St. Pierre was signed again to the 53-man roster.

What allowed them to take such a gamble last season is still in place -- Antwaan Randle El. He was Indiana University's starting quarterback but became a receiver after the Steelers drafted him in 2002. St. Pierre also remains eligible for the practice squad.

And what's tempting them to go with just two quarterbacks is the play of their running backs and wide receivers. To keep rookie halfback Noah Herron as their sixth back, they would have to take a spot from another position. To keep six instead of five receivers (counting special-teams ace Sean Morey), they would need yet another spot -- most likely at tight end, where they could carry three instead of the four they had last season.

"Maybe the circumstances and what takes place in the next two weeks will have an effect," Cowher said. "You get a couple of injuries over the next couple of weeks, and that could also alter the positions that you're keeping for the 53-man [roster]."

The Steelers must cut to 65 players by Tuesday, not counting those who played in NFL Europe this year.

here's the rest.. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05236/558792.stm
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default Re: No 3rd QB ??

It may be better that way, I mean, We know that St. Pierre and Batch probably won't end up as more than a back up, and the chances of 2 QB's getting injured is remote. I'd rather we do this and keep some younger players than end up cutting some real talent...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Have always said this since they did it last year. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. With the expanded practice squad, would rather see Herron or another back on the sidelines instead of St. Pierre holding the clipboard.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 66

St.Pierre had never done a thing to impress anyone and Batch has been a joke his entire career. Do we need a reject from Detroit leading our team if the cards fall that way?
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Da Boot
Water Boy

Member Number: 513

I agree with it too. If we ever get to the point in this season where we need a 3rd QB then we are in huge trouble anyway.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

According to some talk radio shows, the Batch "displaying" on Sat. night was to convince the Bears he is an adequate starter. Apparently they were asking for Maddox and the Steelers might have been pushing Batch insead.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
SteelZeal
Water Boy

Member Number: 552

If Big Ben and Maddox did both get hurt in one game, Randle-El could be the emergency QB. I'm not saying he'd throw for 300 yards, but he could make some things happen in a pinch. And if both Big Ben and Maddox are out for the following week, you bring St. Pierre up from the practice squad.
SteelZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Have always said this since they did it last year. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. With the expanded practice squad, would rather see Herron or another back on the sidelines instead of St. Pierre holding the clipboard.
I have to agree with that. I rather carry only two quarterbacks and add a guy like Herron or another WR to the team. We could always have the 3rd QB down on practice squad and ARE could play in an emergency.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

Didn't Hines Ward play some QB in college?
Old 08-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I think he played it a little. Not sure how much though.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote