Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
FinNasty
Water Boy

Member Number: 5144
Default Fin Fan Here... Question about Porter...

Hey guys... nice forum you got here...

I came here to ask you a couple of questions.

First... how do you like the signing for the Fins? How do you think he will benifit from being accross from Jason Taylor... and now being the 2nd threat offense has to worry about rather than the 1st?

Also, where exactly did Porter play in your defense? Did he play the LOLB or the ROLB? Or did he switch back and forth?

Thanks for any info...

Oh, and feel free to drop by FinHeaven.com and post your insight and opinions... I am sure they will be well appreciated!
FinNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,830 Times in 2,093 Posts
Default Re: Fin Fan Here... Question about Porter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinNasty View Post
Hey guys... nice forum you got here...

I came here to ask you a couple of questions.

First... how do you like the signing for the Fins? How do you think he will benifit from being accross from Jason Taylor... and now being the 2nd threat offense has to worry about rather than the 1st?

Also, where exactly did Porter play in your defense? Did he play the LOLB or the ROLB? Or did he switch back and forth?

Thanks for any info...

Oh, and feel free to drop by FinHeaven.com and post your insight and opinions... I am sure they will be well appreciated!
he was always right side over the LT but he can play any position.

like i heard today, cowher and capers have almost exactly the same defensive mind. porter and taylor with zach, probably makes them the best lb core in the league. being 2nd threat probably plays to his strengths. it should be like lloyd and green or salt n pepper with carolina. the common thread? dom capers.

the signing is expensive but its in line with current market value. he can produce for about 3-4 years at a pace where you shouldnt have to worry about replacing him
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
FinNasty
Water Boy

dont forget about our other ILB... Channing Crowder... a future Pro Bowler...

I think with Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Channing Crowder, and Joey Porter... we probably locked up one of... if not the best LB core in the league.

I love the Dom Capers connection... he should know exactly how to use Porter.

You think he can play the SOLB?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

First, congrats, you guys just signed a great player, Porter is a leader and a great addition to your team that already has a great defense. I'm looking forward to the next Fins-Steelers game this year.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

He's going to be a great addition overall. Scheme wise it's up to the coaches, of course. But one thing about Porter, the rest of the league generally knew only the mouth. The guy really has a huge heart, he's going to be a great team and community asset for whatever team he plays for.

Excellent pickup, IMO. I don't see it as defensive "threats" that an offense has to worry about; rather, the defense becomes more consistently hard to move across its whole front as players improve. The guy can do whatever is asked of him. You get 3 or 4 of that type of player together and the offense's goal of being unpredictable gets neutralized by talent. Porter is always in great shape, smart as hell, knows how to read the plays, and he's rarely out of position.

The knock on him here is generally that he's going into his 9th year. We'd like to have kept him, but not at the price he's worth in today's market. He's a little past his physical peak, and how much longer he'll be a premier player is questionable. The Fins could very well win that gamble. My bet is that they will, but you never know. Worth the price for you guys, with the cap room, but not for us with very little room and the need to tie up Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

BIG pick up for you phins. I'd be VERY excited to watch your defense this coming season if I were you. As a matter of fact, with all these changes, i'll be excited to watch not only dolphin games this coming season, but Cardinal games as well. Should be interesting...to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,384 Posts

This is not intended as sour grapes for Porter leaving, but I think Prisco and Judge on CBS Sportsline sum up my thoughts on Joey (although Prisco is wrong about Chad Brown and Woodson being done when they left Pittsburgh & I think underrates Porter's pass coverage skills).

Porter was a force but not anymore, with his reduced sack total last year, in a scheme where the OLBs get the sacks, looking even worse when you look where they came from.

I do not think Porter has much left in the tank but am glad he got a big payday. I am just as glad he will be deadweight on the salary cap of someone other than the Steelers in future years.

Here is Pete Prisco's take

Sometimes, when you think a team has it figured out, clearing out old players not worth the money, they change gears and then make a foolish move, one that makes you wonder if they know what they're really doing.

That's you, Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins released Kevin Carter, Jeno James, Randy McMichael and Joey Harrington, then they signed linebacker Joey Porter to a deal that will pay him over $6 million a year.

Porter has a bark much worse than his bite.

Quite simply, he is overrated.

He had seven sacks last season, will turn 30 this year and he's never been comfortable dropping into coverage.

For that, the Dolphins shelled out a deal that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

Please.

Sure, defensive coordinator Dom Capers made his bones by coaching the 3-4 defense with the Steelers, and Porter played in that style his entire career, but the Pittsburgh front office is as good as any in the NFL. They're not wrong often timing when to let go of veterans.

Just look at players like Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Kimo Von Oehlhoffen, Chad Brown and others.

Porter's best days are behind him. The Dolphins are making a mistake here.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...entry/10030961

Here is Clark Judge's opinion

So now Joey Porter is a Miami Dolphin, and people want to know how much better he makes the team's defense. To be honest, I'm not sure because I'm not sure what Joey Porter has left.

Look, he has damaged knees and has missed portions of the past two training camps because of surgeries. He turns 30 this month. And while he can still drop into coverage and defend the run, he doesn't appear to be the pass rusher he once was.

OK, OK, so he had seven sacks last season. All but one occurred in three games ... two sacks apiece against Oakland, Miami and Tampa Bay.

In two starts against Cincinnati's Levi Jones he had no sacks. In two games against Baltimore he couldn't solve Jonathan Ogden or Adam Terry. Porter didn't beat San Diego rookie Marcus McNeill for a sack. He didn't beat Jacksonville's Kalif Barnes for one, either.

I think you get the idea. Porter beat up on the mediocre pass blockers and struggled with the others -- and, maybe, just maybe, that's the start of a trend.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know that the Dolphins can count on Porter to be the playmaker he was when the Steelers cut him loose off the edge. In those days, he could beat any offensive lineman, and he beat them so consistently he was the Steelers' 2002 defensive co-MVP, a three-time Pro Bowler and a two-time All-Pro.

But if he was invaluable to the Steelers do you honestly think they would've let him walk? I mean, they were on the hook for a $1 million roster bonus. Big deal. Porter was scheduled to make $4 million in salary this season, too. OK, I pay that if I have someone who can make game-changing plays.

Porter could. And he made them again and again and again. But not lately. That's one of the reasons Pittsburgh let him walk. I suspect fear of a contract holdout might've been another. In any case, the Steelers figured they needed the cap room more than they needed Joey Porter. That tells me something about what he has left.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...entry/10033019
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Porter's knee and ankle are a big gamble for 20 mil guaranteed...All in all, it works out the best for the STEELERS ...Troy and Ben are a priority coming up..
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
FinNasty
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
He's going to be a great addition overall. Scheme wise it's up to the coaches, of course. But one thing about Porter, the rest of the league generally knew only the mouth. The guy really has a huge heart, he's going to be a great team and community asset for whatever team he plays for.

Excellent pickup, IMO. I don't see it as defensive "threats" that an offense has to worry about; rather, the defense becomes more consistently hard to move across its whole front as players improve. The guy can do whatever is asked of him. You get 3 or 4 of that type of player together and the offense's goal of being unpredictable gets neutralized by talent. Porter is always in great shape, smart as hell, knows how to read the plays, and he's rarely out of position.

The knock on him here is generally that he's going into his 9th year. We'd like to have kept him, but not at the price he's worth in today's market. He's a little past his physical peak, and how much longer he'll be a premier player is questionable. The Fins could very well win that gamble. My bet is that they will, but you never know. Worth the price for you guys, with the cap room, but not for us with very little room and the need to tie up Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

Tom
Question...

I know about his skills as a pass rusher. And I know he is good dropping back into coverage. However, how is he against the run? Do you think he will be able to play the strong side linebacker?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
FinNasty
Water Boy

NV... what is wrong with his ankle and knee?

I looked up his playing history... and it seems the most amount of games hes ever missed in a season is 2?