Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-18-2005, 02:22 AM   #1
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109
Default Am I by myself?

Just wondering about this...

Ben has been great this year, but are we not expecting too much now? Is he capable? Absolutely but I just don't want his fantastic start to ruin a great year. If you had been told in preseason that Tommy goes down and Ben leads PIT to the best record in the NFL you would have jumped on it in a heart beat. Now that he survived and won, and admitted he didn't play well everyone is discounting us. Heck we overachieved this year. The rest is icing on the cake. The best thing I love is Ben didn't become Pennington and hide from the media. He met square up and said I have to do better. Sorry Mel Kiper glad we didn't take Pennington. The story should not be that Ben as a rookie can't beat the 7-0 Brady led playoff Pats, but rather that Ben as a rookie, under all that pressure, actually has a chance to beat the Pats again. No pressure Ben just have fun out there, you have shown you belong.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
PittSteelerFanatic
Water Boy

Member Number: 188
Default Re: Am I by myself?

I'm with you, I think.

My fear is that he will become the next Manning. After last week, I'm very worried about how he'll hold up in the playoffs. Perhaps he should sit this one out, so as to not be physically and emotionally damaged (like Manning) as a result of the brutal force of the World Champion Patriots.
PittSteelerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
Super_Bowl_Champ
Water Boy

Member Number: 196

I agree... I think that if Ben is struggling early on, Maddox should come into the game. Just like in baseball... sometimes your Ace pitcher does not have the stuff. It doesn't mean that he isn't your #1 man, it just means he didn't bring his "A" game. It happens. Remember, Tommy Gun didn't loose his starting job because he was struggling... he was hurt. Tommy is capable of coming in and relieving the Ace if he needs to. And that is no shame to Ben.
Super_Bowl_Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

No way you bring Ben into this game at all..you dance with what brought you here. Ben got us here along with our running game and defense. He deserves the shot and its invaluable experience. We'll be better off this week and in the future by leaving him in there. Even though ben didnt have a great game on sunday, we still won it, and he made alot of key throws in the game, especially late in the 4th and in OT.

IMO, pulling him out is the worst thing to do. He's a rookie so he's going to make some mistakes, but you saw how Tommy faired against a pretty good D in buffalo, and that was with a week of practice. Coming in cold against a D like the pats could be worse for us. As long as put the game in the hands of our running game, our defense and give ben plenty of time to see the field and pick his targets, he can do well..after all, the pats D was ALOT healthier in week 8, than they are now!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

Mr. Blitz, you are correct as usual. There is NO WAY you even think about not starting Ben or playing him for that matter. That kid has shown us some of his stuff this year but everyone needs to remember that is IS his first year. This game is just as important for long term as it is short term. I want to see The Bus get his ring as much as anyone and even he's said there's now way you even think about not playing Ben. I hope my gut is right and it tells me that that Ben's going to sicence his critics this weekend and tear it up! Stick with what ya know and that is Ben is the man!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
edmundlutes
Water Boy

Member Number: 200

Big Ben has charmisa and is "unflabble". He always had his worst games against the the Jets and his best game against the Patriots. The playoff game against the Patriots of 2001, the Steelers were too cocky and we had Kordell who could never lead a team. A QB is about leadership,and we have a better leader then the Pats. Therefore, Ben should play.
edmundlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
gonzothesteelerfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 199

very tru chef with his poise and confidence win or loose he is a class act....i am sick and tired of esppn not giving credit were it due............i am so happy that the steelers are doing so well..........and ben admitting that he did not have a great game and meeting it on face to face show how grrrrrrrreat his character is and will always be so no you are not by yourself
gonzothesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:16 AM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I didn't make myself clear. I wouldn't start anyone else but Ben this week. In the end, I just want everyone to view this year as a huge success no matter what happens on Sunday. No one picked us to be here at the start so we just need to play loose and go all out. Whats the phrase? We are gambling with house money. NE is the world champs. two out of three super bowls. The pressure is on them not Big Ben. Come on, there are still 20 NFL teams Ben has never seen!!! I am behind my Steelers 100% all the way and our rookie QB. Don't fall off the fanwagon just cause Ben might be playing like one.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Ben is gonna have his rookie moments, there's no doubt. And he'll have more to come..but the fact that he's got a coach that believes in him and players that support him, and defense that can stop anybody...gives him all the more opportunity to succeed. With us and ben, its a win win..all the way.

Just let the game come to you ben, dont force the issue and you'll be fine.

There's also no doubt that Im glad we have Tommy Gun backing him up. in this day and age, u need to 2 good QB's.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
black2gold
Water Boy

Member Number: 173

I love your quote you are right Big Ben has proven himself time and time again even in the Jets game in round two he might have trown a couple of bad passes but he came back and drove the ball down the field to win the game I give Ben all the credit he deservse
black2gold is offline   Reply With Quote