Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,321 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Porter thinks he'd be a Steeler if Cowher had stayed

This from today's P-G:

Joey Porter believes he might have remained with the Steelers had Bill Cowher not quit as their coach in January.

"I would like to say that he would have made an effort to get something done over there. I just feel that way," said Porter at a news conference yesterday in Miami after he signed a five-year, $32 million contract with the Dolphins

The Steelers feared he would go through with a holdout this year. Porter scoffed at reports that the Steelers believed his play had slipped last season after he made three Pro Bowls in eight years with them and climbed to fourth on their career sack list with 60.

"They have to have something to write so it doesn't bother me at all," Porter said. "I know what I can do. The reality of it, you put me in a situation to do my job, I can do my job well.

"The reality of last year, our whole season last year, the team didn't get it done. We didn't play well enough to be successful. I think as a whole team we never had that many third downs; we never were ahead of a team to get after the quarterback like we normally would.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07067/767807-66.stm

Joey should have kept it zipped after he made what I thought were his sincerely gracious comments last week.

So he was not "put in a situation to do his job" while only having seven sacks last year (6 of which were against the Dolphins, Raiders,and Bucs) because the rest of the defense did not put other teams in third and long a lot and the offense did not get the lead in the second half?

Excuses, excuses ... Joey was a great Steeler but his play has been slipping and he has been getting old.

No shame in that, but shame on Joey for claiming the mean Steelers would not have let him go if his best buddy Cowher was still around.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Porter thinks he'd be a Steeler if Cowher had stayed

Cowher or not........he would not get the money the dolphins gave him
Old 03-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

he probably would still be a steeler because of the relationship between them.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i doubt he would still be steeler unless he was going to take less money than what the fish offered him. the only good thing is at least he didnt go to the browns, ravens, or jailbirds,.. i mean bengals.. sorry

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

While Joey may be correct in what he's saying, I'd rather he just leave it to the comments that he made last week. The "what if's" aren't gonna change or help a thing by talking about it publically. Best left for private inspection.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
No he wouldn't have gotten dolphin money---but he might not have hit the open market to see Dolphin $ was available. Cowher considered him top of his list of players---he may have been able to pressured the Rooneys into giving Porter contract satisfactory to Porter at the expense of another player or two.

Quote:
So he was not "put in a situation to do his job" while only having seven sacks last year (6 of which were against the Dolphins, Raiders,and Bucs) because the rest of the defense did not put other teams in third and long a lot and the offense did not get the lead in the second half?
OK, so what did he say that was wrong? That entire defense was put in a bad situation last year----terrible field position (from short punts and turnovers), on the field contantly because our offense kept going three and out, when Steelers would force a turnover, our offense would give it right back (punt or turnover).

I didn't get the impression he was blaming his teamates at all----I think he was pointing out the fact that the entire team (including hmself) didn't get the job done last year---but it doesn't mean he can't get it done in the future. If I were a Dolphin fan---I'd be sure happy to hear that.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Bingo - nice deflection job by Joey to put it all on the FO, though. And if he would have stayed if Cowher had stayed, why all the grousing about his contract for a year+ before he even left?

Last edited by fansince'76; 03-08-2007 at 08:49 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

LOAD OF CRAP!.......Still running mouth instead of Playing
Joey Listen...Dont tarnish your legacy with trivial garbage!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Cowher considered him top of his list of players---he may have been able to pressured the Rooneys into giving Porter contract satisfactory to Porter at the expense of another player or two.
Ben, Troy, or both?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Love you Joey, but shut up and concentrate on the 'fins. You got what you wanted.

As for the comment about Cohwer, IMO Joey probably would still be here. I've been thinking about this for a while so here goes. It's my opinion that Cohwer leveraged the future of the team to try and win before he retired from the 'Burgh. He is the reason we're in the mess we are in with the cap. I believe Cohwer knew he would retire or if nothing less get a huge contract and continue to try and win with his boys, we all know Cohwer had his boys. The Rooneys would have payed top dollar for the same results or dwindelling results and been even that much deeper in salary cap hell.

I believe we made the right move with Porter. I believe we made the right move with Cohwer. Cohwers time in the 'Burgh was over, he was always a little to Marty-esque for me anyways. I also believe we made the right move with Tomlin and that is why I'm excited and looking forward to this season and the future.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote