Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Ryan Kalil

Am I the only Steelers fan on the planet who thinks we should be looking to grab Ryan Kalil out of USC in the second round? I keep seeing mock drafts done by Steelers fans that call for taking guards and tackles. I don't see the sense in taking a guard in the second round when we can nab ourselves another Trojan to play a position of need for us.

Thoughts?
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Ryan Kalil

I don't understand why so many people say we need to draft a center. I think Kalil is a very solid player, but how can anyone say that center is a need.

Look at the roster, we have 2 centers with Okobi and Phillips and possibly another in Simmons. We have 3 guards with Simmons, Faneca and Kemo. Faneca could be gone next year and Simmons could move to center. How is guard not the biggest need?

I myself have to wonder about Okobi, noone seems to confident or excited to see him at center.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

This is going to sound like I'm making fun of you, but it's not.

We have nothing at center. Okobi is not a center and never will be in the NFL. He was an emergency player. If he starts the season at center, we're in deep trouble. I like Philip right now, but I don't know that he's the answer either. There were a lot of expectations his senior year at Cal and he didn't really live up to them, plus he's two years older than most players with his experience because of his Mormon Mission.

As far as Simmons goes, I'm not sure he's the answer at guard.

Bottom line is we passed on Mangold last year. This year we have Kalil and Mozes in the draft as centers. Unless we're 100% sure that Philip is the answer, we need to get a center.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I don't take it as such. That is exactly what I have been trying to figure out. Why are we paying Okobi good money for a career backup.

I have stated in another thread that we should have drafted Mangold last year. I like Holmes but we wouldn't have had to give up as much for Mangold and this years draft is loaded at WR.

I still think guard is a bigger need. I think Simmons could play center, and may be better at that position. A player that is versatile and can play several positions on the line is what we need. Maybe Mahan the FA visiting or Staley or Blalock in the draft.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

I love the idea of Staley, I really do.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,101 Times in 4,593 Posts

i listen and read p. kirwan like its gospel (he has us taking paul pos in the 1st). he was just discussing whether kalil had inflated or hyped value for the draft. he compared him to mangold in that you plug him in on day one and never look back and that he is a 10 year starter in the league. he said the same thing about mangold last year and thought he looked like an all time steeler who would be the perfect successor to webster, dermontti and hartings, and that the steelers were gonna draft him.

so today he says since the steelers missed out on mangold they just need to draft kalil, dont care what anyone says, start him for the next 10 years and they will never regret it.

ive really been thinking we need 2 defenders on the front 7 with our 1st 2 picks, but now im thinking how important a pro bowl calibur center has always been. if kalil is there and the sure thing, we may not be able to afford to pass him up.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Anthony_Smith27
Banned

Member Number: 4935

kalil belongs with a team that is soft, he isn't a steeler type center, drafting him would be a waste
Anthony_Smith27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Smith27 View Post
kalil belongs with a team that is soft, he isn't a steeler type center, drafting him would be a waste
Right on the money...he will be a good center for a team like the Broncos...but he isnt the lunch box type of center that the Steelers need to take on the NT's....(exactly why Okobi and Phillips are not the answer) Simmons may be where we need to go...or look elsewhere in this draft for our type of center..one that may take a year or two to develope.... Dan Santucci form Notre Dame or Scott Stephenson from Iowa St. both Center/Guard experience
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Right on the money...he will be a good center for a team like the Broncos...but he isnt the lunch box type of center that the Steelers need to take on the NT's....(exactly why Okobi and Phillips are not the answer) Simmons may be where we need to go...or look elsewhere in this draft for our type of center..one that may take a year or two to develope.... Dan Santucci form Notre Dame or Scott Stephenson from Iowa St. both Center/Guard experience

I like the call with Santucci LLT. But I also think Satele is impressive as well. But i wouldn't take any center this year with our early picks. I just think we need to 'tighten up' on Defense. (specifically at corner, End, and or OLB)
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I like the call with Santucci LLT. But I also think Satele is impressive as well. But i wouldn't take any center this year with our early picks. I just think we need to 'tighten up' on Defense. (specifically at corner, End, and or OLB)
We are thinking alike...Both Santucci and Stephenson have G/C experience and should be able to make the squad as backups at least...and both should be available later in the draft.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote