Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default What is wrong with our roster?

Is our roster that bad, our backups that poor that we will take someone elses scrubs over who we have already.

I understand we need depth, but with some of these guys are'nt we digging pretty deep. Or is it that we don't have much talent in the backup roles.

Everyone is saying we need to draft R. Kalil. The Steelers have been paying Okobi pretty good for someone that no one is sure will start. Add to that we drafted M. Phillip last year.

At this time it doesn't seem like we have any backup LB's to step in and play at a fairly high level besides J. Harrison.

Who have we been grooming, how well have they been groomed. You would think with the situation we're in with the cap and some of our aging players that we would have some younger players capable of stepping in.

I have faith in the FO and I am excited about Tomlin and what he can do, but why does it seem like we're suddenly in dire straits.
Someone lift me out of this funk.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Re: What is wrong with our roster?

i think right now were looking for that $2 million player who we can sign for the minimum. remember we didnt get n. davenport when free agency began, but after the final pre season cuts. if we can find a james harrison player out there on the streets, were gonna look.

and think about it this way. if we can find a scrub linebacker from another team that shows about as much potential as a rookie 6th round pick, perhaps we can use that pick packaged with others to move up in the draft.

just possibilities here.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

What is wrong with our roster?

Not enough Michigan Wolverines.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Donnie Iris
Water Boy

Member Number: 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post

At this time it doesn't seem like we have any backup LB's to step in and play at a fairly high level besides J. Harrison.

Who have we been grooming, how well have they been groomed. You would think with the situation we're in with the cap and some of our aging players that we would have some younger players capable of stepping in.
Zo Jackson?

Donnie Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

if they are like brady we dont need them

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

That's the funniest thing since witnessing Bo slamming his clipboard into the Rose Bowl turf after another off tackle rush into the endzone. Couldn't stop them then. Still can't stop them now.

If you want to shore up the defensive side of the ball then just ask Pete Carroll who he is willing to sell to the NFL. I love Rey Maualuga.

On the more serious side we must keep our focus on the offensive line. Plugging in new linebackers seems like child play for Kevin Colbert. Plugging the holes on the right side shouldn't be left up to the New Orleans Levee Commission.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

The F.O. is well known for getting diamonds in the rough and honing them into good team players. Look at Parker as a great example of that. If they are getting scrubs right now, it is because they are looking to third string/practice squad people. If they don't work out well and become the diamonds in the rough we'd like to see, they become tackling dummies for our first string.

It is hard to grasp sometimes when you see other teams paying big bucks for good talent while we pick up these type of guys. All of the NFL teams have to keep under the same type of salary cap that we do. If they spend big bucks for big talent, that means they have to pay that much less for the rest of the team.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

too many wolverines! lol
our roster needs speed on defense and on offense.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

There is nothing wrong with our roster. We have quality in depth and grooming of players. Picking up a scrub here and there is no big deal. That scrub might of been lacking in coaching and did not fit to the other teams system and might just turn out great in our system along with some good coaching.

You watch guys who leave our system and get mega bucks from another team and they do not fit to there system and really never heard of again. There is a select few of players who have left us who went to a team with almost the same system who kept doing well.

You will also go why did we pick up all this players and it will be to fill up to the maximum amount of players we can have at that time to provide maybe a change here and there adding a better practice squad player are two, better competition thru camp before we start making cuts. There is many reasons teams just pick up a lot of players during the off season. You call them scrubs, there might just be a gem there.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
if they are like brady we dont need them
That was a joke, and it went over like a lead balloon.

Speed is the key. We need speed at all the positions on the roster, especially linebacker. The one big need we have is to get a couple of athletic linebackers (like Buster Davis) or a good DE/OLB combo (like Jarvis Moss) to give our defense a shot in the arm of speed.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote