Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Browns | Team sends Droughns to Giants for Carter

Browns | Team sends Droughns to Giants for Carter
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:19:44 -0800
Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have sent RB Reuben Droughns to the New York Giants in exchange for WR Tim Carter.

This WR best year is just a little over 300 yards. Has had injury problems and drops the ball a lot. Giants benefited from this.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Browns | Team sends Droughns to Giants for Carter

This is so very....Brownian. They dump a relatively reasonably priced back who has a history of criminal behavior but managed to gain over 1,000 yards behind one of the most porous lines in football in favor of a much more washed up and damaged back who costs about the same but has an even more egregious criminal past. Yeah, yeah, Lewis beat them up for 295 yards in a single game, but that was way back in 2003.

I still think they select Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick, and, because it's the Browns, he'll end up just like Chucky White, if not LeCharles Bentley...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

This was a steal by the G-Men...Ruben is that big back that can run north,south, sideways...And they already have Brandon Jacobs...

As a fan I sure the hell woudn't mind Ruben playing for us....

Now the G-Men have a pretty good 1 - 2 punch at RB...
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
This was a steal by the G-Men...Ruben is that big back that can run north,south, sideways...And they already have Brandon Jacobs...

As a fan I sure the hell woudn't mind Ruben playing for us....

Now the G-Men have a pretty good 1 - 2 punch at RB...
Talking with some G-Men online they do not like the trade. I was surprised but they are who they are Giants fans.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,243 Times in 1,804 Posts

if i were a giant fan,i'd wanna see jacobs getting 30+ carries a game. the mans a freakin beast.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Here's the problem with Brandon Jacobs (and what makes Jerome Bettis so special): Big running backs have zero longevity in the NFL. Jim Brown was considered huge, and he quit after 7-8 years. Earl Campbell was a monster in his day, and he could only hack 8 years. In all honesty, if you are talking big backs, Jerome is really the only other guy that comes to mind who could play every down over that kind of span, and he was still productive after 10 years.

Droughns is always thought of as a big back, but he weighs like 3 lbs more than Willie Parker. He'll be an excellent compliment to Jacobs and will keep Brandon from getting so many carries that he breaks down. Giants definitely got the best of this deal...
Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
Here's the problem with Brandon Jacobs (and what makes Jerome Bettis so special): Big running backs have zero longevity in the NFL. Jim Brown was considered huge, and he quit after 7-8 years. Earl Campbell was a monster in his day, and he could only hack 8 years. In all honesty, if you are talking big backs, Jerome is really the only other guy that comes to mind who could play every down over that kind of span, and he was still productive after 10 years.

Droughns is always thought of as a big back, but he weighs like 3 lbs more than Willie Parker. He'll be an excellent compliment to Jacobs and will keep Brandon from getting so many carries that he breaks down. Giants definitely got the best of this deal...
Well, the reason he was productive for so long was 50% Physical Strength 50% Mentality and personality. Jerome was a rare back in that his attitude probably helped him with a few more years than most would think. Eventually, his health caught up with him, but by that time he had a HOF worthy career.

~Polamalufan43
Old 03-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalufan43 View Post
Well, the reason he was productive for so long was 50% Physical Strength 50% Mentality and personality. Jerome was a rare back in that his attitude probably helped him with a few more years than most would think. Eventually, his health caught up with him, but by that time he had a HOF worthy career.

~Polamalufan43
I couldn't swear to this, but didn't Bettis regularly run out of bounds at the end of his runs rather than take a huge hit for the sake of maybe 2 extra yards?

Im sure I read someone criticising him for it - the rebuttal was that Bettis was clever enough to know that you can't keep taking huge hits for a small dividend and expect to have a long career.

I think his shiftness helped him avoid the biggest of impacts, unless, of course, he was the one doing the hitting ....*Urlacher*

I think Bettis is a great example of a football player who maximised the potential of his abilities by using his intelligence.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,925 Times in 4,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I couldn't swear to this, but didn't Bettis regularly run out of bounds at the end of his runs rather than take a huge hit for the sake of maybe 2 extra yards?

Im sure I read someone criticising him for it - the rebuttal was that Bettis was clever enough to know that you can't keep taking huge hits for a small dividend and expect to have a long career.

I think his shiftness helped him avoid the biggest of impacts, unless, of course, he was the one doing the hitting ....*Urlacher*

I think Bettis is a great example of a football player who maximised the potential of his abilities by using his intelligence.

NM
i think youre thinking of franco harris.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

A perfect example of what happens when an opposing fan gets his information second-hand or off the web instead of actually witnessing the stuff first hand...really way off on this one, eh?

Bettis never stepped out of bounds...he, would, in point of fact, run people over, although usually after he was shifty and missed a tackle or two.

So what is my penalty? Infraction? Thread clossed?