Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #31
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Patriots sign Stallworth $3.6million/1year

OK lets break it down in all the numbers of a WR that is not worth the money and most likely will not get every last cent of it. And no he is no better then branch and branch is no better the stallworth, they both have had injury issues, both have never had a 1000 yard wr year.

Think everyone has year 1 down pat on this post so lets go further then that if he makes it.

Stallworth also can earn up to $400,000 in incentives. He'll get $100,000 if he catches 70 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 75 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 80 passes, and $100,000 if he is on the Pro Bowl team.
A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag.
In 2008, there's also a $2 million roster bonus due on the first day of the league year, a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the season-opening 53-man roster.
In 2009, there's a $2 million option bonus, payable after the franchise tag deadline but before the start of the league year. If the option is exercised, the deal runs through 2012.
Also in 2009, Stallworth will receive a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus based on making the season-opening 53-man roster.
In 2010 through 2012, the deal has the same terms in each year: $500,000 workout bonus and $4 million salary.
In all, it's a one-year $3.6 million deal that can be worth up to $4 million, or a two-year, $14.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $15 million, or a three-year, $19.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $20 million.
The Pats can then add on additional years at $4.5 million each, with a maximum contract value of $33.5 million.
But the only truly guaranteed money is $1 million. Not $12 million.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #32
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Ok I was having a conversation with somebody else on another site about the Stallworth signing and they mentioned the 12 million guaranteed. Thats why I said that. As Pats rule and youself have shown its not 12 million guaranteeed.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #33
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I view this as a low risk /potential high dividend deal - the Patriots were desperate for receivers who can get open on the intermediate/short routes or stretch the field.

The Patriots had intermittent problems last year running the ball, and alot of that was due to teams flooding the LOS and the short routes.

The receivers struggled to get open, even after 5 seconds had passed, which led to Brady taking way too many hits as he released and /or throwing the ball out of bounds.

As I see it, we have the slot receiver (Welker) for the clutch Troy Brown short yardage stuff and now we have the burner (Stallworth) who can stretch the field and torch the safety if he cheats up to the line.

We have tried to upgrade the WR corps for a number of years - big guys like Donald Hayes and sped guys like Bethel Johnson - neither panned out but the intention was always there.

I really think this will be a defensively focussed draft for the Patriots, but if a quality WR dropped to them they may well still make a play (if Stallworth is not likely to return) - it just gives us more latitude with the two 1st rounders.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #34
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I view this as a low risk /potential high dividend deal - the Patriots were desperate for receivers who can get open on the intermediate/short routes or stretch the field.

The Patriots had intermittent problems last year running the ball, and alot of that was due to teams flooding the LOS and the short routes.

The receivers struggled to get open, even after 5 seconds had passed, which led to Brady taking way too many hits as he released and /or throwing the ball out of bounds.

As I see it, we have the slot receiver (Welker) for the clutch Troy Brown short yardage stuff and now we have the burner (Stallworth) who can stretch the field and torch the safety if he cheats up to the line.

We have tried to upgrade the WR corps for a number of years - big guys like Donald Hayes and sped guys like Bethel Johnson - neither panned out but the intention was always there.

I really think this will be a defensively focussed draft for the Patriots, but if a quality WR dropped to them they may well still make a play (if Stallworth is not likely to return) - it just gives us more latitude with the two 1st rounders.

NM
I like the Welker signing. I think he got to much money but he is a solid WR and great return guy. Very good signing.

If the Pats really wanted to upgrade their WR core then trade up for Calvin Johnson. Yes he could be a bust. But the upside is so high with him. That would be the better move then signing Mr. Hamstring.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #35
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I like the Welker signing. I think he got to much money but he is a solid WR and great return guy. Very good signing.

If the Pats really wanted to upgrade their WR core then trade up for Calvin Johnson. Yes he could be a bust. But the upside is so high with him. That would be the better move then signing Mr. Hamstring.
Welker was the top receiver (in terms of catches) in a woeful Miami offense last year - think of the guys throwing to him - Culpepper and Harrington...and he still bagged 67 catches.

The feeling is that he is about to break through in a big way - his learning curve has been pretty steep - from a low round PR prospect to No.1 receiver on the team is a pretty large jump.

Calvin Johnson is this years Reggie Bush, as close to 'can't miss' as you get in the draft but there is no real way for the Patriots to get into the top5 (I don't see Tampa passing on him).

The draft value for the No.3 slot is 2,200 points - the combined value of the Patriots two 1st rounders is only 1380 points - unless you are figuring to throw some players into the deal I don't see how you can get it done.

I think CJ will do some great things this year - as long as his team has a reasonable offensive line.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote