Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,166 Posts
Default BOO BAN

Should 'booing' at amateur sports events be banned?

Quote:
Booing at games may be banned

Will decision make you cheer or jeer?

By CASEY MCNERTHNEY
P-I REPORTER

The organization that oversees high school sports in Washington is considering rules for fans that could ban booing and offensive chants.

The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association has not made an official ruling, but has discussed guidelines to crack down on negative conduct, a spokesman said.

Some of the state's top coaches believe a boo ban is extreme. ...

Full story @ http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/..._booban03.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 03-12-2007 at 10:52 AM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: BOO BAN

I don't like this thread.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ahem.

Here is the actual link - the other one doesn't work.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/..._booban03.html

This is the type of stuff that has the right wingers thinking the world is going to hell in a Politically Correct handbasket.

The problem is you have too many commitees, too many commitees overseeing those other commitees, etc etc ad infinitum - the simply isn't enough work to go round so discussions like these take place.

Look everybody we are earning our paycheck.

Quote:
"I don't know why people think it's acceptable to boo in the first place," WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese said. "It's a pretty novel concept to me."
Ok, this guy is obviously into competitive team sports in a big way - booing...?...whats that?

People who are looking to infringe your basic rights as a citizen are very dangerous people.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,166 Posts

Yeah I fixed it. lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

It's Washington State. Do you really need an explanation for why they're doing this?
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Ban boo'ing? At least we have our priorities straight. I'm more concerned with the idiot parent beating the hell out of a 14 year old on the opposing team because Jr. received a late hit, but that's a whole other situation.

Anyways, we are now going to tell kids at the highschool level that boo'ing will not be permitted but once you hit college you can boo all you want? Makes sense. Personally I'm not a fan of boo'ing. I think it shows a lack of respect, but it's part of the game. If you are an adult and happen to be booing at a highschool game, I suggest you take a course in parenting and anger control. I'm not suggesting parents should be banned from booing. I am stating that you have issues if you do. It's highschool.

The offensive chants are another story. What do 'they' consider offensive? At every Steeler and Penguin game they announce that vulgar language will not be tolerated. I have no problem with that rule. You can't have some drunk idiot starting up a "F-Cleveland" chant in front of 8 year old Jimmy attending his first game with dad. I do not see why it should be any different at the highschool level.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I am not a boo-bird by nature, except at professional sporting events when the visiting team takes the ice or field at Mellon Arena or Heinz. When I hear someone shout an F-bomb or some other vulgarity, though, I'll be the first one to turn around and ask the person to watch their potty mouth (ask XT how many times I've done it at Pens games - LOL!) Booing and cursing at amateur sporting events is lame as hell, imho, but to actually impose a ban on it is almost as lame. What's wrong with giving a warning and if the perp doesn't heed the warning, tossing him/her/them out on their hineys?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Ban boo'ing? At least we have our priorities straight. I'm more concerned with the idiot parent beating the hell out of a 14 year old on the opposing team because Jr. received a late hit, but that's a whole other situation.

Anyways, we are now going to tell kids at the highschool level that boo'ing will not be permitted but once you hit college you can boo all you want? Makes sense. Personally I'm not a fan of boo'ing. I think it shows a lack of respect, but it's part of the game. If you are an adult and happen to be booing at a highschool game, I suggest you take a course in parenting and anger control. I'm not suggesting parents should be banned from booing. I am stating that you have issues if you do. It's highschool.

The offensive chants are another story. What do 'they' consider offensive? At every Steeler and Penguin game they announce that vulgar language will not be tolerated. I have no problem with that rule. You can't have some drunk idiot starting up a "F-Cleveland" chant in front of 8 year old Jimmy attending his first game with dad. I do not see why it should be any different at the highschool level.
I gotta agree. Usually, the only time I boo a teenager in a game is when they purposely do something illegal... like tripping or elbowing in a hockey game.

However, on the issue of W. state, well, that is what happens when you get the western side of the state in control of things. So sad.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Careful! If you boo a player for playing poorly, the kid may develop a complex and think that he is inferior, and, God forbid that any child be sent any kind of message other than that he's the bestest and greatest ever!

As for booing the opposition, again, we are all exactly all the same, so we need to nurture the "competition" and treat them as we would treat our own. Remember, even the extremist Muslims who literally live to die via killing as many of us as possible are really our fun friends, and we should treat them with respect and kindness....
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Honestly, I'm split. Mostly because in my right state of mind, I probably would say it's a little uneeded. But, when something stupid happenes that just sets me off, well... yeah...

~Polamalufan43
Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

The bottom line is that almost NOTHING should be "banned", and even considering banning something like booing is absurd. These busybodies need to solve the 800,000 other more pressing, urgent and REAL problems they are facing before they can waste time on this garbage...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote