Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Packers GM to outline plan to acquire Moss

Moss: Deal, or no deal?

GM to outline plan to acquire receiver

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: March 13, 2007

Green Bay - At some point this morning, Ted Thompson will make his monthly presentation to his bosses at the Green Bay Packers and the subject of his keen interest in acquiring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss undoubtedly will top the agenda.
Packers/NFL

At that time, chairman of the board Bob Harlan, President John Jones and six members of the executive committee will hear details from Thompson regarding his plan to add Moss, and the general manager will learn what management has to say about the raging debate in Packer Nation.
"Ted has not spent a lot of time talking to me about it, quite honestly," Harlan said Monday. "Ted always starts out our meetings with a football report so he may get into that."
Sources have said the two teams have been discussing Moss for more than a month. On Monday, a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss.
"They're going to get rid of him," the source said. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."
Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero, the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment.
But the source said he was confident that Packers negotiator Andrew Brandt, with permission from Davis, already had had preliminary talks to restructure Moss' remaining base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08.
Davis is 77 and struggles to walk, but Raiders employees maintain that he remains as competitive as ever. If Thompson is passionate about anything, it would be holding on to his draft choices.
It's possible that the two sides might not agree on compensation until summer, if at all, with Davis holding out for at least a second-round pick to save face and Thompson hoping he'll just waive Moss and gain a reported $8 million in cap space.
"But Al is stubborn," one source said. "He might hang on to the guy and tell the new coach (Lane Kiffin) just to go (expletive) coach him."
In the end, Thompson might part with a middle-round choice for the 30-year-old Moss, a devastating deep threat for seven seasons in Minnesota but a dud in Oakland for the last two.
If the Packers were to offer a player, the source said the Raiders wouldn't have any interest in quarterback Aaron Rodgers but indicated that defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or defensive tackle Corey Williams might have considerable appeal to them. The Packers insist Rodgers isn't available, anyway.
Despite acquiring wide receivers Donte' Stallworth, Kelley Washington and Wes Welker in the last week, New England admires Moss and still might take him, one source said. Tampa Bay also has interest but probably only if it can't select Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson with the No. 4 pick.
Today in the board room, Thompson will find out whether the men who run the franchise can stomach having Moss on the team. In fairness to Thompson, Harlan said he didn't know yet if the opposition to Moss would preclude a match being made.
"I've told Ted about the calls I've gotten but I haven't talked to him since Fan Fest ended or what happened today," said Harlan, who had just finished fielding five more calls on Moss.
"When it first started as a rumor, Ted came in to see me. I told him, 'I don't know what you're thinking about Randy Moss but I've got to let you know that the initial response I'm getting is not good.' It has settled down a little bit since then. I'd say it's been maybe 65-35% anti."
On Monday, Harlan shared the contents of a fax and phone call that summarized the no-Moss sentiment.
"One man wrote, 'Moody. Excess baggage. Disruptive. Do any of these words sound like alarm bells to you?' " Harlan said. "One guy called from out of state and said, 'Bob, I'd rather see you go 0-16 than do that.' Isn't that something?
"They're very passionate about it. A lot of it probably is the mooning thing. They just won't forgive him for doing that."
Other fans equate the situation to the '96 waiver pickup of character risk Andre Rison, a late-season starter on the Super Bowl team.
"People say to me, 'Brett (Favre) needs a big target. I know he's got baggage but he's never hurt anybody,' " Harlan said. "Today, they were all, 'Take a chance.' "
With Harlan ready to retire in late May, he vividly recalls the scandalous trials of the 1980s involving Mossy Cade and James Lofton.
"We've always talked about the public-relations image of the franchise and the class image of the franchise," Harlan said. "Those are important things to me, very important things to me.
"Ron Wolf was looking at a draft pick with baggage one year and he said, 'Where do you hide him in Green Bay?' And I said, 'You don't.' "
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Packers GM to outline plan to acquire Moss

Moss might be a nice addtion to the Packers. I just might approve.

~Polamalufan43
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

It's gonna be to wierd seeing Moss in Packers colors after all those years of him being a Viqueen.

I don't think the fans of GB will like it,I don't expect to see many Moss jerseys in the stands.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
It's gonna be to wierd seeing Moss in Packers colors after all those years of him being a Viqueen.

I don't think the fans of GB will like it,I don't expect to see many Moss jerseys in the stands.
ummmmm...you do know that moss has been a raider for a few years now ?
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
ummmmm...you do know that moss has been a raider for a few years now ?
And do you know that before hew as traded to the Raiders he spent his entire career with the Minnesota Vikings,a hated rival of the Green Bay Packers?

He's the guy that "fake mooned" the crowd at Green Bay and to this day many of thier fans still hate.He'll be forever remembered as a Viking,not as a Raider or a Packer.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Favre and Moss. I'm just dying to see the news about the official trade.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

it would be a great move for green bay.. they would have another deep threat... and that could be a good set of wr with him, driver, and jennings

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
And do you know that before hew as traded to the Raiders he spent his entire career with the Minnesota Vikings,a hated rival of the Green Bay Packers?

He's the guy that "fake mooned" the crowd at Green Bay and to this day many of thier fans still hate.He'll be forever remembered as a Viking,not as a Raider or a Packer.
no different than T.O. being in dallas after his antics on thier logo. i've seen a few cowboy fans sporting a t.o. jersey.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

FAVRE PUSHING HARD FOR MOSS

Multiple sources tell us that Packers quarterback Brett Favre is pushing hard for the team to make a trade for Raiders receiver Randy Moss.

As one source with knowledge of the situation told us on Tuesday, in Favre's mind the acquisition of Moss is a done deal.

We previously reported that the Packers offered quarterback Aaron Rodgers to the Raiders for Moss. We're now hearing that the Packers might have to throw in a contingent draft pick tied to Rodgers' success (or lack thereof) in Oakland. If the Raiders ultimately don't want Moss, it likely take a second-round draft pick, or more, to get it done.

The fact that receiver Wes Welker generated a two and a seven from the Patriots suggests that the Raiders might try to hold out for at least a first-round pick. They sent a first-round pick (No. 7 overall), a seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris to Minnesota in March 2005 in order to land Moss, who largely has been a disappointment in two seasons with the Raiders.

On Tuesday, the team finally acknowledged that it is considering making a deal for Moss, despite several weeks of denials from G.M. Ted Thompson. Along the way, Thompson took a slap at our report that the Packers and Raiders were discussing a deal.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Can you say VIRUS!? Let him stay in Oakland before he taints another team!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote