Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts
Question Compensatory Picks????

does anyone know for sure the rules regarding comp picks? im pretty certain that the steelers will not get one for cutting porter loose. from what i understand comp picks are restricted to free agents alone which meant the titans wont get one for releasing henry, the giants or steelers wont get one for hartings or tiki retiring, and the broncos wont get one for d. williams being murdered (they will receive league sanctionned cap relief for his contract though).

since comp picks were part of the deal given to teams in exchange for giving players the right to free agency in 93 in the bartering process, it would seem to reward teams to cut players and receive compensation, rather than having to live up to their end of a signed contract.

does anyone know for sure?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Compensatory Picks????

I was wondering the same thing.....It would be nice to get an extra 3rd rounder out of the draft this year.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
I was wondering the same thing.....It would be nice to get an extra 3rd rounder out of the draft this year.
im almost 100% certain we dont get squat. everything i found has specific wording... "unrestricted free agents". porter wasnt a free agent, therefore no compensation. i think its that simple, but not for sure.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im almost 100% certain we dont get squat. everything i found has specific wording... "unrestricted free agents". porter wasnt a free agent, therefore no compensation. i think its that simple, but not for sure.
It's not based on the free agents we lose this year ... its based on the ones we lost at the end of last year ... hope, Kimo, ARE ... im pretty sure anyways????
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
It's not based on the free agents we lose this year ... its based on the ones we lost at the end of last year ... hope, Kimo, ARE ... im pretty sure anyways????
yes thats how it works. but for next year we dont get one for porter. the highest we could get for faneca is a 3rd, and all this is dependent upon the free agents we bring in to replace those we lose.

the question was really in regards to porter though. or any player who is cut or a cap casualty. im pretty sure i know the answer.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I think you are right, Tony.

Compensatory picked are awarded for Free Agents - guys that have run to the end of their contract.

Quote:
Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.
http://nfl.com/draft/story/9341500

As you say, cutting someone for cap relief before the end of their contract doesn't entitle you to compensatory picks.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Compensation is awarded by the league to teams who lost more UFAs than they signed. Compensation is in the form of extra draft picks added to the end of rounds three through seven. The quantity of picks is equivalent to the difference of UFAs signed to UFAs lost. For example, if a team loses 4 UFAs and signs 1 UFA, they will receive three Compensatory Selections. The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. The highest possible compensatory pick is the 31st of the third round (91st overall). If a team has signed an equal number or more UFAs than it lost, no "Compensatory Picks" are awarded.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula that was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

we really need a 3rd round pick, we need help next season whether you guys see it or not.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Thanks, CantStop85.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter