Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Keisel excited about LBer plans

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=2&c=627605

The Steelers begin voluntary workouts Monday, but one player?s been anxiously roaming the halls of the team?s practice facilities since the middle of February.
That?s because defensive end Brett Keisel can?t wait to showcase his linebacker skills at the April 20 minicamp.

The Steelers, because they have a new coach, have been granted an extra minicamp by the league, and they?ve scheduled it the week before the draft in order to look over some players at new positions.

Keisel is one of them He?ll get a chance to play outside linebacker.

?Coach (Dick) LeBeau has come to me and told me we?re going to do some different things, maybe similar to what Baltimore does with Adalius Thomas or something like that,? Keisel said of the former 270-pound linebacker in the Ravens? 3-4 defense.

Keisel played at 285 pounds last season and said he?d like to get down to 280 before April 20.

?I?ve asked them what to do about my weight and they?ve said, ?Just do what you do,?? he said. ?So I have made it a goal to slim down a little bit, and then if things work out, where I?m just in the trenches with Casey (Hampton) and Aaron (Smith), then that time in between minicamp and training camp I?ll be able to stack it back up. But for now I?m going to lighten up a little bit.?

His take on the opportunity?

?I would love that. I would love that,? Keisel said. ?I think I could do it. For three years now I?ve had to know it all, but I?ve never gotten the opportunity to do it in a game. I?ve practiced it and repped it out on the practice field, but I?ve never had an opportunity to do something in a game, so I hope so.?

CONTRACT TALK

Another experiment the Steelers will monitor is the move of right guard Kendall Simmons to center.

The team opened preliminary contract-extension talks with Simmons, Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu, but are wary of becoming too involved with Simmons until he shows better potential at center than he has at guard.

The Steelers have had difficulty against teams with powerful defensive tackles across from Simmons because he?s more agile than strong. The team believes that agility could be put to better use at center, as it was with Dermontti Dawson and Jeff Hartings.

Of course, the Steelers signed free agent Sean Mahan to a $17.5 million contract just in case the move of Simmons doesn?t work. Last preseason, Simmons struggled with the shotgun snap but the team believes a full offseason at the position should correct the problem.

Unlike the Steelers? stance with right tackle Max Starks -- who?s also entering the final season of his contract -- the team opened preliminary talks with Simmons because of the brewing problem at guard. Not only are the two starters entering their final contract seasons, but backup Chris Kemoeatu has yet to display an understanding of the offensive system, and the situation could only worsen for the third-year pro after new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians installs his changes.

The Steelers prefer a big, strong guard, such as Kemoeatu, and that?s why Mahan, a 301-pounder, would only be considered a stop-gap measure should Simmons win the job at center.

As for Starks, he?ll remain on the open market as a restricted free agent until April 20. Should another team sign him away, the Steelers would be compensated with a first-round draft pick. If not, the Steelers will gauge Starks?s physical condition at the minicamp.

According to a source with the team, if Starks is in shape, talks will begin on a contract extension. But if Starks reports close to the 400 pounds at which he reported last spring, the Steelers will let him play out his current contract.

TRACKING TOMLIN

The Steelers may still talk to free-agent punter Matt Turk, the brother of former Steeler Dan Turk, but all talks were put on hold last week as Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert hit the pro-day trail.

On Tuesday, Tomlin showed up at Arkansas to watch DE Jamaal Anderson and CB Chris Houston; on Wednesday, he watched WRs Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis at LSU; on Thursday, Tomlin appeared at Florida State to see OLB Lawrence Timmons; and on Friday, he showed up at Michigan to watch the workouts of first-day prospects CB Leon Hall. DT Alan Branch, ILB David Harris, and DE LaMarr Woodley.

The most telling appearance may have been the one at Florida State, where Tomlin was the only NFL head coach. He drew the attention of Timmons?s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who was overheard telling Tomlin that his client would ?be in better shape by minicamp,? according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Timmons measured 6-0 7/8 at the combine and weighed 234 pounds. He ran a 4.66 40 at the combine and didn?t improve upon the time at his pro day.

~Polamalufan43
Old 03-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498
Default Re: Keisel excited about LBer plans

The thought of Jamaal Anderson up front with Hamp and Aaron,......and Keisel at OLBer is one i'd be very interested in seeing play out.
Though i really, really hope Coach Tomlin passes on Timmons. He's 'decent',.....but we need to make every pick 'count' this year. (Ie: No Cocloughs, Alonzo Jacksons, Fred Gibsons or Adibis)
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
The thought of Jamaal Anderson up front with Hamp and Aaron,......and Keisel at OLBer is one i'd be very interested in seeing play out.
Though i really, really hope Coach Tomlin passes on Timmons. He's 'decent',.....but we need to make every pick 'count' this year. (Ie: No Cocloughs, Alonzo Jacksons, Fred Gibsons or Adibis)
76, Kiesel is a solid, athletic player. Would he start at linebacker? Also, do you think Anderson would be an upgrade over Kiesel?
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,684 Posts

Interesting read

Glad to read about Keisel's enthusiasm; at least one vet has a good attitude.

Seems like Simmons last chance to stick is at center but that Kemoeatu may not have the brains to play OL and step in at guard; with Faneca probably gone after 2007 I now look for a high draft pick on an O-lineman.

As for Starks, the report he came in to mini-camp at 400 lbs last spring is further evidence this team took 2006 off; need to hope someone is dumb enough to make him an offer. Colon may not work out but Starks will never be the answer.

The OL may be shaping up as the long term weakest link on the team.

Sorry for the choppy thoughts but I am a little punchy after watching wall to wall hoops for 4 days
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
76, Kiesel is a solid, athletic player. Would he start at linebacker? Also, do you think Anderson would be an upgrade over Kiesel?

I think if he (Keisel) could drop a few pounds,.....he might actually perform very well at OLB. (As you stated,...he certainly has the athleticism) It's not as though we have any outstanding talent 'waiting in the wings',......just average cats like Harrison. Whom he very well might actually outproduce hands down. (Ala Kevin Greene ?)
And i do think Anderson would be an upgrade at End. Not just because of his own considerable athletic ability,...but because of his strength, 'motor' and frame. (The latter of which will allow him to put on more bulk in time.)
He's a true D-lineman IMO. Not just simply a 'tweener' with some upside like Jarvis Moss or Quentin Moses.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

I would have serious trepedations signing a client of Drew Rosenhaus

Last edited by steelerbackr4life; 03-18-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: mispelled rosenhaus
steelerbackr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Interesting read

Glad to read about Keisel's enthusiasm; at least one vet has a good attitude.

Seems like Simmons last chance to stick is at center but that Kemoeatu may not have the brains to play OL and step in at guard; with Faneca probably gone after 2007 I now look for a high draft pick on an O-lineman.

As for Starks, the report he came in to mini-camp at 400 lbs last spring is further evidence this team took 2006 off; need to hope someone is dumb enough to make him an offer. Colon may not work out but Starks will never be the answer.

The OL may be shaping up as the long term weakest link on the team.

Sorry for the choppy thoughts but I am a little punchy after watching wall to wall hoops for 4 days
Dan, you are 100% right. There are so many question marks on O-line it is scary. Remember what has happened to us in recent years when the O-line hasn't performed well! We may even need two solid picks! I love offense & would love to see another RB/WR up there, but as unglamorous as it is, nothing happens without a solid line! But dang I'd love to see a RB/WR...Oh well.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbackr4life View Post
I would have serious trepedations signing a client of Drew Rosenhaus
I was just thinking that. During the TO situation in Philly, he was half the problem. But we must have some Rosenhaus clients on the team already, no?
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Going to very interesting to say the least.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by pride4u2 View Post
I was just thinking that. During the TO situation in Philly, he was half the problem. But we must have some Rosenhaus clients on the team already, no?
Im sure if we do they are the type that will probably never get a second contract. I really cant see the Rooneys being to receptive to Rosenhaus tactics.