Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-28-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Parker could start on opening day

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05240/561510.stm

Although different in style, Parker and Foster have two things in common -- they were not highly regarded in the draft and languished behind others in their first years.

Foster, a fifth-round draft choice in 1990, ran for 203 yards as a rookie, 488 his second season, then burst into Steelers history with a team-record 1,690 yards in 1992, Bill Cowher's first as coach.

Parker, undrafted, ran for 186 yards as a rookie last season and was third or fourth on the depth chart entering this one. But, with Duce Staley rehabilitating from knee surgery and Jerome Bettis possibly out with a calf injury, Parker could open the season as the team's starter at halfback.

"I'm just ready for whatever," Parker said after his dazzling one-carry, 51-yard performance Friday night against the Washington Redskins. "I'm ready for what the NFL brings, I'm ready for what the defense brings and I'll just go out there and play my game."

The Steelers declined to reveal what the MRI on Bettis' calf showed yesterday, but, if he cannot play, Parker could get the nod in the Sept. 11 opener against Tennessee. Staley says he'll be ready by then, but Cowher does not want to rush him back. Parker has 112 yards rushing on 11 carries, a 10.2-yard average. He averaged 5.8 yards on 32 carries as a rookie after leading the team in his first preseason with 202 yards rushing and a 4.4-yard average.

Cowher said the situation is dire enough at halfback that Parker, a Clinton, N.C., native who played at the University of North Carolina, may not play when the team wraps up the preseason against the Carolina Panthers Thursday night in Charlotte, N.C.

"That's for the home coming," said Parker, pleading his case to play. "That's for North Carolina."

Their plans are bigger than that for him right now.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Parker could start on opening day

If Staley says he's ready, he'd better suit his ass up cuz if Jerome is still injured, there's no way I wanna go into opening day or any game for that matter w/ nothing but Parker and Haynes. No disrespect to either of them, but they are both largely unproven players who have shown flashes at times, but we gotta see them do it week in and week out first.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Blitz we may not have a choice. I do understand your worries, I can feel it to. But I see Parker getting his snaps early and often this season. I am not bleaming the Steelers, because we were all excited when they picked up Duce. But man it sure looks like he is turning into an injury prone bust. Now we are stuck with him. Please prove me wrong Duce.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I love the thought of Parker starting and getting 25 carries a game. He may have some monster numbers with that many touches..... I wonder if he can do it.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i agree with bb2w, i like the idea of parker starting, his style of running is my favorite, and i love watching no names make it big, and i think he can if given the chance. i just hope he doesn't do so good that he becomes a hoe and starts wanting a huge contract.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

It sounds like he will start week 1.....

Quote:
The Steelers' situation at running back is so dire that Parker might not play against the Panthers.

"You might not see him again until Tennessee," Cowher said of Parker -- meaning the team isn't likely to risk playing him against Carolina with Staley and Bettis hurt. Parker gained 51 yards on his only carry against Washington.
link..... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2145032
Old 08-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I also like his style. And I`m really in favor of mixing if up a little. Pound the big guys than throw in some speed. Or visa versa
Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
blairsummit
Water Boy

Member Number: 557

i hope parker gets his shot this year. i like his style and it gives us a different additive to our game. we usually have the bigger powerfull backs and with parker he is a quick lil guy.

Here we STEELERS here we go!
blairsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W
I love the thought of Parker starting and getting 25 carries a game. He may have some monster numbers with that many touches..... I wonder if he can do it.
Just had my fantasy draft last night and I got Parker in the 12th round,out of 18 rounds.The other guys were shocked except my brother, who was pissed cause I pulled the trigger earlier than he hoped cause he wanted him also.

I hope he makes a huge impact on our running game this season,and keeps Duce on the sidelines when he gets healthy.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

yea I would love to see Parker get many carries myself! I think Parker should start out the season as a starter and see if Duce can pick up, if not we might not have no choice but to stick with Parker and if Bettis gets better, we can use him for the red-zone game.