Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs up Article: Steelers will dethrone Patriots

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...1429249320.xml

've seen enough of the NFL exhibition season to crawl out on a limb.

Aside from Philadelphia and Atlanta, the NFC again is the inferior conference. And the two-time defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots will not win Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

For starters, history is against the Patriots. No franchise has ever won three consecutive Super Bowls, but the reasons go much deeper than that.

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel have departed for head coaching jobs at Notre Dame and with the Cleveland Browns.

Starting linebacker Tedy Bruschi suffered a stroke in the offseason and is out for the season; another starting linebacker, Ted Johnson, retired.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts are poised to dethrone the Patriots in the AFC.

Three games loom large in the AFC race for home-field advantage. New England visits Pittsburgh on Sept. 25 Indianapolis plays the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Nov. 7. And the Colts host the Steelers on Nov. 28.

Securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs would go a long way in helping the Colts or Steelers achieve their goal, although Pittsburgh lost to the Patriots 41-27 in last season's AFC championship game at Heinz Field.

"I think there's a chance the Patriots could three-peat, but I wouldn't bet on them this year," said former Saints coach Jim Mora, now employed by Fox Sports radio and NFL Network. "You're talking about winning three in a row and four out of five years. With the way the league is set up these days with parity and all, and some of the personnel and coaching losses they've had, I just think the odds are against them.

"I think they're still going to be a good team. But I don't see them winning as many games as they have the last two years (34, including 6-0 in the playoffs). Plus, I don't see the same motivation and hunger being there. The bottom line is I just don't think they can pull it off again."

Michael Smith, senior writer for ESPN.com and former Patriots beat writer for the Boston Globe, disagrees. In his opinion, it's hard to bet against New England.

"If they stay healthy, they can be very, very good," Smith said. "This team is built for the playoffs. Can they go 14-2 again? Probably not. A lot of teams win back-to-back Super Bowls. But what's remarkable to me is they have gone 14-2 the past two years and won 34 games the past two years.

"They'll make the playoffs barring injuries to a player like Tom Brady. And I think they're better equipped than any team to consecutively win three or four playoff games. They play good defense; all Bill Belichick teams play good defense. They have the experience, and their quarterback hasn't lost in the playoffs. Plus, they can run the ball with Corey Dillon. And they've got a great field-goal kicker in Adam Vinatieri, who's made a living making clutch kicks."

Smith said the Patriots have all the components to excel in the postseason.

"They can score 40 points if they need to, and they can win a close game if they need to," Smith said. "That's what it really comes down to. If the Patriots get in the playoffs, how do you bet against them?"

Watch me.

I like the Steelers to win it all.

The Saints will be 9-7 and make the playoffs as a wild card.

Book it.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Article: Steelers will dethrone Patriots

Wishful thinking! I hope and pray this to be the case. A ring would be great. But for every opinion in our favor, there are 31 others for everyone else.

Opinions are like @$$holes! Everyone has one. LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Wishful thinking! I hope and pray this to be the case. A ring would be great. But for every opinion in our favor, there are 31 others for everyone else.

Opinions are like @$$holes! Everyone has one. LOL

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! Well maybe not, I dont think the 49ers are saying this,, LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Dirtywater
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 434

Are you guys reserving your hotel rooms yet again? j/k :D
Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Sure, we have some problem solving to do this year. And sure, we may not be able to solve those problems well enough to take another SB. However, that doesn't mean it goes to the Steelers, or the Colts. Neither of those two teams have provided any evidence that they can win during crunch time. Until they do that, it's all talk.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywater
Are you guys reserving your hotel rooms yet again? j/k :D
Not on your life! We aint that stupid. Or at least we won`t tell you guys! LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
Sure, we have some problem solving to do this year. And sure, we may not be able to solve those problems well enough to take another SB. However, that doesn't mean it goes to the Steelers, or the Colts. Neither of those two teams have provided any evidence that they can win during crunch time. Until they do that, it's all talk.
Agreed talk is cheap! But it is the Blast Furnace! Only problem is our 1st offense hasn`t scored a td yet. So its time to zip it up. For now.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Yeah, well if our 1st offense hadn't gotten a TD yet I'd be a little nervous to. However, I don't know how good that big young QB of yours is, but he's better then that.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
Yeah, well if our 1st offense hadn't gotten a TD yet I'd be a little nervous to. However, I don't know how good that big young QB of yours is, but he's better then that.
Yeah I hope he`ll be fine. The defense will keep us in games.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Yeah he is better than that..he knows it, we know it..but damn, I was just hoping he'd show it in preseason alittle too!

With the pats maybe coming back to the pack alittle more this year in terms of another SB appearance.. its wide open.. Steelers, colts, jets, chargers, pats.. they all have a legit shot in one form or another.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote