Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts
Default Potential 1st Rnd Draft Day Trades

i still see alot of paul posluszny being perfect for the steelers and of course he is a "homestate favorite" coming from linebacker U. but ive seen him really low on alot of boards which makes me wonder if hes our guy do we trade down and who is our trading partner? what teams are looking to wheel and deal on draft day? i think you always gotta look out for denver and patriots to be movers. they definitely wont hesitate. the raiders could shake things up drafting the rights to calvin johnson and possibly get mike vick or eli manning value by trading them away. here is some scenarios pat kirwan has in his latest mock draft.

http://nfl.com/draft/story/10069968

Quote:
2. **Tampa Bay (after trade with Detroit): Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech -- There is a relationship between Lions head coach Rod Marinelli and Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen and Allen loves to make deals. After the great workout by Johnson, it's time to move up to get him but not until the Raiders make their selection. There's no sense to move up if Johnson is already gone. The Lions get Tampa's second- and fourth-round selections to move down.

4. **Detroit (after trade with Tampa Bay): Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame -- Detroit selects the quarterback of the future and will come back early in the second round with picks Nos. 34 and 35 and get the critical needs at safety and linebacker.
Quote:
7. **Atlanta (after trade with Minnesota): LaRon Landry, S, LSU -- With Brady Quinn gone, the Vikings are interested in moving down and the Falcons don't want to miss the opportunity to get Landry. Minnesota gets Atlanta's third-round selection to move three spots.

10. **Minnesota (after trade with Atlanta): Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas -- The Vikings still get Anderson to help bolster the pass rush. And with the third-round selection they pick up from Atlanta, the Vikings can put it together with their second-round pick to move up to the bottom of the first round to draft a wide receiver.
Quote:
24. **New Orleans (after trade with New England): Greg Olsen, TE, Miami -- The Saints need a tight end and they must get ahead of the Jets to get Olsen. New Orleans gives up a fourth-round pick to move up.

27. **New England (after trade with New Orleans): Anthony Spencer, LB/DE, Purdue -- Even though the Patriots signed Adalius Thomas, Spencer makes plays and is a long-term answer opposite Thomas.
the detroit trade makes the most sense assuming the raiders are so in love with russell they leave all that value on the board. detroit could land either quinn or thomas, so moving down to 4 is a no lose situation for them. if steelers do move down, i think it would be good to swap with the giants in a reversal of last years move and use the additional pick to move up in the 2nd, or possibly even gain an additional 2nd which could be huge with the players still left on the board.

anyone see any juicy draft day trades happening?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Potential 1st Rnd Draft Day Trades

If the Browns were smart, they'd trade their pick for more value. They've been as active in FA as anyone, and they've ****ed up almost all their first round picks over the years anyway...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Ah, I love speculation about draft day trades - its often better than the actual draft.

I really see the Redskins trading down - they have alot of needs and a straight forward way of addressing them.

Bucs Up/Lions Down trade makes alot of sense - which means it probably wont happen.
The Lions would be huge winners - looking at draft pick value charts they could ask for another 2nd and a 4th or maybe even a 2nd and a 3rd - just to move down 2 places and get the guy they want anyway.

I see the Bills doing whatever it takes to land Peterson - if that means trading up then so be it.

The Steelers are a tough one to predict - there is a base of talent in the current 53 that makes them likely contenders for the postseason - if Cowher was still coach I would have said they would go for the elite prospect they like the most at 15.

Now that Tomlin, with the rumored 4-3, is running the show you have to think multiple picks are the way to go to help the transition.

I'd go along with Tony - Pittsburgh to look for trade partner to move down.

The Patriots really could move either way - the obvious team need is ILB but I doubt there is anyone within reach who is worth trading up for and the fact we dont have a 2nd rounder will be a factor.

WR's could start disppearing in clumps in the early 20's so a WR short team may want to trade up from the top of the 2nd into the latter part of the 1st to get one - lets say Cleveland, Miami or Oakland.

The Packers will be looking for a RB - they'll make a move for the 2nd or 3rd guy off the board if they have to.

Bronco's could do with an impact pass rusher - I don't see a need to trade up to get one.
Plenty of tweeners available at this point.

One other team that might like to move up is the Ravens who remain desperate for offensive playmakers.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
If the Browns were smart, they'd trade their pick for more value. They've been as active in FA as anyone, and they've ****ed up almost all their first round picks over the years anyway...
thats what i find inriguing about this years draft. if johnson did happen to fall to them they could draft his rights and possibly get more for him than if oakland or detroit did. i think they get most value for that pick if they wait till draftday to see what the other 2 teams do. that #3 pick is worth so much more with c. johnson on the board than it is with him off.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
thats what i find inriguing about this years draft. if johnson did happen to fall to them they could draft his rights and possibly get more for him than if oakland or detroit did. i think they get most value for that pick if they wait till draftday to see what the other 2 teams do. that #3 pick is worth so much more with c. johnson on the board than it is with him off.
It'll be interesting, for sure...but I bet it'll play out like it does almost every other year, and the top 10 teams just make their picks...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
It'll be interesting, for sure...but I bet it'll play out like it does almost every other year, and the top 10 teams just make their picks...
the glazers and gruden are praying for this. better to get the best player in the draft for a #4 pick alone and #4 pick money. but it makes me wonder... to they covet him so bad or are they just falling in love with the idea that if the teams above them may draft according to need and logic he falls into their lap.

the worst thing for the raiders or detroit (or even cleveland) would be to draft calvin and the bucs call their bluff and say "nah, we dont really want him. we'll trade down and take okoye"

Quote:
I really see the Redskins trading down - they have alot of needs and a straight forward way of addressing them.
the washington scenario is interesting cause its definitely time they get rather than give and because of the early speculation about them wanting dre bly and denver wanting ledell betts (despite getting henry). theres no telling what denver will do, ever. they want a DE after losing out on henry and what if say g. adams is passed on by arizona. washington could be sitting pretty and have a partner to dance with.

ive seen pitt, nygiants, eagles, and patriots as possible landing spots for paul poz. 15 could be too high but they take a gamble moving down if they really want him and the giants do too. last year it was speculated the giants wanted s. holmes, but were willing to settle for s. moss. i wonder if theres an agreement to make movement between 2 teams, if the giants would have to tell the steelers they werent gonna snag their guy.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:

ive seen pitt, nygiants, eagles, and patriots as possible landing spots for paul poz. 15 could be too high but they take a gamble moving down if they really want him and the giants do too. last year it was speculated the giants wanted s. holmes, but were willing to settle for s. moss. i wonder if theres an agreement to make movement between 2 teams, if the giants would have to tell the steelers they werent gonna snag their guy.
I bet there are FO's that are on particularly friendly terms with each other, especially AFC/NFC combo's.

It been rumored that Chicago and New England have a good relationship - but im not sure if that has any real mileage this year.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
tony hipchest

the rooneys definitely got good relations with all the old school owners (well maybe not al davis). if they did do a deal with a team i think both parties would know the intentions. their most recent trades were with w. mara's giants and l. hunts chiefs. id be much more skeptical if they were dealing with the newbie owners like blank, snyder or *gasp* kraft.

most teams know what theyre getting when dealing with the steelers and that they are fair. steelers not putting a poison pill in their attempt to acquire the 49ers punter is a fine example. the 49ers still owe the steelers for negotiating a very favorable deal for them and im sure those favors might be re paid when a draft day maneuver is proposed.

it seems most teams are hesitant to trade in fear of missing out on something or making the wrong decision, but with denver being bold enough to trade for cutler when they still had plummer in place, some teams eyes may have been opened that its ok to take a chance and not be anchored to players already on ones roster.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

wait so its true the falcons might trade vick..wow

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
the rooneys definitely got good relations with all the old school owners (well maybe not al davis). if they did do a deal with a team i think both parties would know the intentions. their most recent trades were with w. mara's giants and l. hunts chiefs. id be much more skeptical if they were dealing with the newbie owners like blank, snyder or *gasp* kraft.

most teams know what theyre getting when dealing with the steelers and that they are fair. steelers not putting a poison pill in their attempt to acquire the 49ers punter is a fine example. the 49ers still owe the steelers for negotiating a very favorable deal for them and im sure those favors might be re paid when a draft day maneuver is proposed.

it seems most teams are hesitant to trade in fear of missing out on something or making the wrong decision, but with denver being bold enough to trade for cutler when they still had plummer in place, some teams eyes may have been opened that its ok to take a chance and not be anchored to players already on ones roster.
Well, out of the 32 teams in the NFL a grand total of two have actually utilised the poison pill and exactly zero have used it this year - so I wouldn't say the Steelers were doing anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think re-signing a no-name punter was the top of the 49ers priorities this year anyhow - maybe they'll throw Rooney a 7th rounder for being such a 'good guy'.

I look forward to seeing what favors the Dolphins do us this year.

If teams are a little bolder this year then it should make for an exciting couple of days.