Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 03-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,897 Times in 3,492 Posts
Default P-G - Faneca Skips Volunatry Workouts

P-G reports the following in the linked article

Faneca skips voluntary workouts
All-Pro guard could be angling for a new deal

Under normal circumstances, it might not even be noted, but Faneca publicly questioned the Steelers' decision to bypass his line coach, Russ Grimm, for the job that Tomlin ultimately got.

Also, negotiations to extend Faneca's contract, which has one year left, have gone nowhere. All that, combined with the cryptic response by his agent yesterday, could add up to why Faneca has not yet attended, or even if he plans to.

Agent Rick Smith said yesterday that he would not comment about Faneca at any time, now or in the future, and that any comments would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."...

Tomlin said he talked to Faneca and was satisfied with his reason for not attending the workouts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771176-66.stm

This pretty much confirms Faneca's absence is intended to send a message.

Steelers have no alternatives for this year at OL so I do not know if a trade works.

Depending how the cap arithmetic works, Steelers might want to franchise Faneca in 2008 or at least tell him that may occcur if the Steelers want to try to get a deal - he is still a good player but a break the bank multi-year contract for a guard who will be entering his 11th year in the league in 2008 has a lot of risks

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 03-21-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Typos
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: P-G - Faneca Skips Volunatry Workouts

All seems to ppoint out he won't come back in 2008 doesn't it . Hope i'm wrong.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
manateern
Water Boy

Member Number: 5219

Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster. I think Faneca should report to workouts and try to make the Steelers better. He needs to quit whining about who's there and who isn't and just get down to playing Steeler football. His contract will take care of itself if he plays well. He is still under contract this year, so get there and get to work!
manateern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

He's holding out.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

From a business point of view (which this is) there may never be a better time for a lineman to hold out.

Factor in the ridiculous sums of money thrown at average lineman in FA and you have an increasingly disgruntled Faneca.

You never know when you are going to get that career ending injury - Faneca is getting up there in terms of age so he wants his big pay day now.

Faneca's comments may well have been a 'come get me' signal to teams looking for a high quality LG - its not beyond the realms of possibility (though unlikely) that the Steelers management are all in on this.

The other thing to remember is that the Steelers have issues on the O-line - there arent many viable replacements for Faneca on the current roster (maybe something will happen on draft day)
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,025 Times in 384 Posts

He's already signed a contract through 2007. He should be held to that contract. What good are contracts when people don't have to honor them? And if he holds out of TC this year, or he half-asses it through the season, he's going to be hurting his marketability in the long run. It's one thing for a big name skill position player to gain the reputation of a malcontent, but it's a whole other ballgame entirely for an O-lineman to do so.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Counselor
Starter

Quote:
He's already signed a contract through 2007. He should be held to that contract. What good are contracts when people don't have to honor them? And if he holds out of TC this year, or he half-asses it through the season, he's going to be hurting his marketability in the long run. It's one thing for a big name skill position player to gain the reputation of a malcontent, but it's a whole other ballgame entirely for an O-lineman to do so.

Here's the deal---no player likes to go into their last year of a contract and play it out. Too much uncertainty and risk of injury. Javon Walker is a perfect example---Farve talked him out of holding out in Green Bay and then he got seriously hurt and missed the season anyway---then he was damaged goods. If you have a year left on your contract at your job, wouldn't you do whatever you could (use your leverage) to get that renegotiated or extended before you were out of a job?

I love the idea that "everyone should fulfill their contract" but the reality it it doesn't work that way---for either side. The Steelers didn't fulfill Porter's last year did they? any contract for employment (in any business--not just football) is hard to enforce.

Quote:
there may never be a better time for a lineman to hold out.
So true--salaries are rising for guards and lets face it---he's banking on the fact that the Steelers need him.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,025 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Here's the deal---no player likes to go into their last year of a contract and play it out. Too much uncertainty and risk of injury. Javon Walker is a perfect example---Farve talked him out of holding out in Green Bay and then he got seriously hurt and missed the season anyway---then he was damaged goods. If you have a year left on your contract at your job, wouldn't you do whatever you could (use your leverage) to get that renegotiated or extended before you were out of a job?

I love the idea that "everyone should fulfill their contract" but the reality it it doesn't work that way---for either side. The Steelers didn't fulfill Porter's last year did they? any contract for employment (in any business--not just football) is hard to enforce.
You're absolutely right - I wrote what I did out of annoyance more than anything else. I'm just not real happy with Faneca at the moment.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Counselor
Starter

Quote:
You're absolutely right - I wrote what I did out of annoyance more than anything else. I'm just not real happy with Faneca at the moment.
I'm with you. As much as he's banking on being "needed" by the Steelers. I won't be surprised or too upset if the FO call his bluff.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I'm suspecting Faneca will cause problems this year even if he doesn't hold out.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote