Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212
Default Stoopid Questions 101

*takes deep breath*

verks36 kindly told me in the introductions forum:

Quote:
Feel free to ask stupid question i can assure you willl get you question anserwed without being made fun of. This is a great steeler community with a common theme a love for da stillers. So as long as you love the steelers you are fine.
I am going to make the huge assumption that maybe some other people are as ignorant as I am about some things. I'm not really sure where to put this - no other forum seemed appropiate. Mods, please move if I guessed wrong.

Let me stress I do love me some Steelers - I am fairly new to the football world in general and am still trying to learn about the game. I'm sure my father could have helped me with some of my queries, but unfortunately he passed just about the time I became interested in football. Never mind he was a huge Redskins fan (I grew up near DC) and I was exposed to football all my life but never cared until 2001.

Here are a few stupid questions to start you off, not all of them Steelers related:

1) The Steelers seem to be known for their gadget plays. Why doesn't everybody use them more often? Anybody is allowed to throw the football, right? Wouldn't it be really confusing to the opposing team if they never really knew what was going to happen, if the offense mixed it up a lot of the time? I realize not everybody can throw a good spiral, but a lot of non-quarterbacks can throw a decent ball, and several players seem to have been quarterbacks in college, if not in the pros (Ward, Randle El).

2) When did quarterbacks stop calling the plays? I thought it was part of the quarterback's job to run the offense, or at least it was in the past. Why did this change?

3) A big deal was made a while back over someone drop-kicking a field goal, and it was said it hadn't been done in 40 years of something. Why did this stop, since it's apparently still legal? Why don't people do it more often?

4) Why don't the Steelers have a mascot or cheerleaders? Mind you, I am personally awfully glad that we don't; it just seems so frivolous and High School to me. I realize that it would be kind of hard to come up with a Steelers mascot, but even the Springfield Isotopes managed to come up with something. :-) What other teams have neither a mascot nor cheerleaders?

5) If I ever get a tattoo, I want a little Steelers logo - you know, the white circle with the three diamonds. What does that logo stand for? And why is it only on one side of the helmet?

6) Franco Harris vs Jerome Bettis. Lynn Swann vs Johnny Stallworth vs Hines Ward. Who was scarier, Joe Greene or Jack Lambert? (Personally, JL freaks me the hell out, but in a good way.) Or was someone else, say Dwight White, LC, or Ernie-whose-last-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment scarier than they?

7) What are those bands some players wear just above their elbows for?

8) If a 4th down punt/kickoff happens to go through the goal posts, does it count for three points?

9) When a player leaves for another team, as seems to happen fairly often, does the original team have to change its playbook so that the player can't tell his new team all the original team's plays? Seems to me they would have to, but it would be awfully confusing for the players that are left.

10) Why is the transition from college ball to the pros so difficult? I understand that it is a huge deal, and some players can't handle it. But it seems to me that the college players have to think quickly, get off their passes/run their routes quickly, get tackled as hard as the opposing team can hit them, etc. Do the college rules "pamper" the players that much, so that going to the pros is a huge shock to them? I am even less familiar with college ball rules than I am with the pros.

These are the things that Football for Dummies etc won't tell you.

Please forgive me if all of this seems like nonsense and a waste of time to most of you. I really am curious about these things, and would appreciate any insight y'all can give me. I did try to warn you that my questions were stupid. And you all can feel smart while telling me what should be obvious to anybody with half a brain.

Besides, I have to get my post count up to 5 if I want to be able to see any links. :-)

Thanks in advance...

*takes another deep breath and hits submit*
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212
Default Re: Stoopid Questions 101

Did I stun everybody into silence with my ignorance?

Anyway, I thought of another...

11) I know Steeler fans are supposed to hate the Browns and the Bengals, and I do. But why? What's the history there? I can see for myself why we're not too fond of the Cowboys. "America's Team." Um, okay...
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Great thread Kitty.

The guys and gals here will be more than happy to help.

I'll give you a few of the answers (as I see them).

1. Gadget plays rely on the element of surprise, if they were used too often then the defense would be too well prepared for them.

Why don't all teams use them? Thats a good question - basically alot can go wrong with a regular play - factor in players not playing their strongest position in a trick play and it becomes a pretty risky proposition.

Coaches also don't like egg on their faces.

2. All QB's call the plays to some extent - at one end of the spectrum you have guys like Peyton Manning who has almost complete control over the offense - right down to guys like Mike Vick who is allowed a couple of audibles (changes to the play dependent on what he sees the defense doing before the snap) - these would be very basic - he might change from a pass to a run for example.

3. Drop kicking is not practiced in pro football - its alot harder to catch a ball as its dropping than if it is placed and held on the ground.

9. One of the worst cases of failing to chnage a playbook in recent history was the SB match up between Oakland and Tampa Bay. Coach Gruden left Oakland for Tampa - and that very year they met in the showpiece game - Oakland hadn't made any significant changes to the playbook and Tampa knew what was coming before it happened.

Result? Blow out win for Tampa.

You'll get plenty of responses for the other questions.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

4. I being a man wouldn't mind the cheerleaders, but I live in Mass. so for me to get to Heinz field is difficult with my schedule. As far as mascots, I'm not a big fan, I suppose we could have a steel worker.

5. The logo is based on the actual steel logo or Steelmark insignia. If you look at a can, of hairspray for example, in the back by the manufactures info you might see the steel logo. The Steelers just printed Steelers instead of steel. As far as it being on one side, they were just trying it and just left it that way.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Hey Kitty, the only "stoopid" question is the one that isn't asked.

5. The logo represents U.S. Steel Corporation, which used to have many steel mills in the Pittsburgh area. They originally put the logo on one side of the helmet to see if they would like it on a gold helmet (the Steelers helmet was all gold at the time), and after all the interest having the logo on one side created, they decided to keep it that way. http://www.steelers.com/tradition/logohistory/

8. No - in both cases (punt or kickoff), it would be a touchback and the receiving team gets the ball at their own 20.

Welcome to the board!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
Did I stun everybody into silence with my ignorance?

Anyway, I thought of another...

11) I know Steeler fans are supposed to hate the Browns and the Bengals, and I do. But why? What's the history there? I can see for myself why we're not too fond of the Cowboys. "America's Team." Um, okay...
because they are longtime interconference rivals and there are 2 games against them each year.

also because a bunch of their fans are jagoffs who go into jealous fits of rage over the steelers decades of dominance. its also a pennsylvania/ohio thing.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
because they are longtime interconference rivals and there are 2 games against them each year.

also because a bunch of their fans are jagoffs who go into jealous fits of rage over the steelers decades of dominance. its also a pennsylvania/ohio thing.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Those are either under armor or NFL equipment sweat bands. These bands go around your bicep. So it works the same way as a wristband but it is skinnier and goes around your bicep. Also people like it because it is a constant tension on your muscle which some people get pumped up because of it. These are becoming very popular in high school football as well.

This is a awsome thread and it felt sort of wierd to see my name up their in the big quote. Sweet job and a great way to start a thread

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
TDSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 2531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
*takes deep breath*

verks36 kindly told me in the introductions forum:

Here are a few stupid questions to start you off, not all of them Steelers related:

1) The Steelers seem to be known for their gadget plays. Why doesn't everybody use them more often? Anybody is allowed to throw the football, right? Wouldn't it be really confusing to the opposing team if they never really knew what was going to happen, if the offense mixed it up a lot of the time? I realize not everybody can throw a good spiral, but a lot of non-quarterbacks can throw a decent ball, and several players seem to have been quarterbacks in college, if not in the pros (Ward, Randle El).

2) When did quarterbacks stop calling the plays? I thought it was part of the quarterback's job to run the offense, or at least it was in the past. Why did this change?

3) A big deal was made a while back over someone drop-kicking a field goal, and it was said it hadn't been done in 40 years of something. Why did this stop, since it's apparently still legal? Why don't people do it more often?

4) Why don't the Steelers have a mascot or cheerleaders? Mind you, I am personally awfully glad that we don't; it just seems so frivolous and High School to me. I realize that it would be kind of hard to come up with a Steelers mascot, but even the Springfield Isotopes managed to come up with something. :-) What other teams have neither a mascot nor cheerleaders?

5) If I ever get a tattoo, I want a little Steelers logo - you know, the white circle with the three diamonds. What does that logo stand for? And why is it only on one side of the helmet?

6) Franco Harris vs Jerome Bettis. Lynn Swann vs Johnny Stallworth vs Hines Ward. Who was scarier, Joe Greene or Jack Lambert? (Personally, JL freaks me the hell out, but in a good way.) Or was someone else, say Dwight White, LC, or Ernie-whose-last-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment scarier than they?

8) If a 4th down punt/kickoff happens to go through the goal posts, does it count for three points?

9) When a player leaves for another team, as seems to happen fairly often, does the original team have to change its playbook so that the player can't tell his new team all the original team's plays? Seems to me they would have to, but it would be awfully confusing for the players that are left.

10) Why is the transition from college ball to the pros so difficult? I understand that it is a huge deal, and some players can't handle it. But it seems to me that the college players have to think quickly, get off their passes/run their routes quickly, get tackled as hard as the opposing team can hit them, etc. Do the college rules "pamper" the players that much, so that going to the pros is a huge shock to them? I am even less familiar with college ball rules than I am with the pros.

*takes another deep breath and hits submit*

1.) Its the element of surprise, if you run to many of them all the time people start to catch on and plays that require the defense to over pursue or bite won't anymore. Some people don't like to use them cause they would consider them not "real" football.

2.) This one was already answered.

3.) Like someone said this is harder than place kicking.

4.) Art Rooney used to say that the every fan was a cheerleader. If you need some girl jumping up and down to get you excited about the football game then move to Dallas. I heard somewhere they have a couple.

5.) The logo is the US Steel symbol and its still used today. If you look on products made of steel you will see the same symbol (minus the ers at the end) it was borrowed for the team. It was only put on one side to save money while they saw if anyone liked it. And it stuck.

6.) This is a personel question. Your going to get alot of answers.

7.) I always thought they were there so when they get tackled on astro turf it prevents them from skinning their elbows. Alot of teams your sand and salt on the field and having missing skin on your elbow filled with saly can be a distraction.

8.) I don't think it counts. I am not sure but I was always under the impression that when they are punting and kicking off its the formation that says that they are not going for points.

9.) The problem is that most teams only get about a weak or maybe 2 to practice for anyone one team. So I am sure that every game plays are added and removed, but even if someone knew them all it would be difficult to tell everyone all the plays. Also, you have to remember that its not all about the play but how each player plays the play. If you knew of a guys weakness a year ago, he might have fixed it in the offseason.

10.) Is hard to make it because of the sheer numbers. Think of how many highschool football teams that you know in the US and then think that only the better players play in college. Then think of how many player that play in college compared to the 32 teams in the nfl carrying 53 players and 80 players in the offseason. And you have to remember only a few are retiring each year so they only need to bring in what they are losing. No one cuts Payton Manning to bring in a college kid. Here is a pretty good website that talks about the odds. ww.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFL_HopefulsFaq.aspx

I hope that helped. Also you should look around in the Steelers Past section of this great site ww.steelersfever.com cause it has more info about your questions. Probably with better and more accuracy than I can give.

Cheers
TDSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

11. To add to what Tony said. It doesn't help matters when an opposing player wipes his shoes with our terrible towel (bungal t.j. housyomama)

8. Only a field goal counts for 3 points. Punts are change of possesion and kickoffs are at the beginning of a half or after a score.

6. It's always fun to compare players from different eras. As far as scary, Lambert with no teeth or Dick Butkus (Chi. Bears), some players have a little more attitude. Nowadays the players can't get away with as many intimidation tactics as years gone by. But by all accounts you never know what goes on in a pileup (biting, punches to the groin etc.)
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote