Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room > Well Wishes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Prayers Deeply Appreciated

I know I can always count on the good people here at SF for prayers when needed, so I come to you with my request.

My ex has had cardiac problems for a good number of years due to coronary artery disease, which runs deeply in his family. He had a 6 graft bypass when he was 35, several years before we met and married, and was doing pretty well up until a few years ago when he had a cardiac cath and the doctors found that the right side of his heart basically does not function. They have been medicating him to keep his heart rate and blood pressure down to put less pressure on the left side which had to compensate for the dysfunction of the right side.

As we have maintained a good relationship, I check on him regularly and noticed a few months ago that he just wasn't looking well. Of course he downplayed my concerns and told me he was fine. He is a graduate of Bullsh it U and fibbed to his cardiologist, as well during his regular checkups. Late last week, he developed frequent episodes of shortness of breath and I insisted that he see his cardiologist immediately which he did. I knew then that something was seriously wrong - he would always fight me when I felt something was wrong and he readily agreed this time. He had a chest x-ray and bloodwork done and was found to be in congestive heart failure, which always has an underlying cause. His cardiologist scheduled him for another cardiac cath which he had early this morning. As he was there for me during my battle with the big C, chemo and radiation, I felt it was the right thing to do to be there for him this time and accompanied him to the hospital this morning.

After his cath, the cardiologist came out to speak with me and gave me some very bad news. He has developed a condition called aortic stenosis which basically means that the aortic valve, which controls blood flow from the left ventricle to the aorta and the rest of the body has severely narrowed and if not treated promptly, can lead to cardiac arrest and death. The docs feel that the stenosis is severe and could offer only two options to attempt to correct it - (1) replacement of the aortic valve with a mechanical valve and the insertion of a defibrillator into his chest or (2) a heart transplant. They do not feel that he is strong enough to undergo a transplant and could die waiting for a compatible heart to become available. His only option is the valve replacement which in his case, is a very risky surgery because of his condition and all of the scar tissue buildup in his chest. They gave him a risk ratio of 15-25% which is quite high. Needless to say, this is a very serious situation and he has decided to go ahead with the valve replacement despite the risks because as of now, it is his only chance at survival. As of now, the surgery is scheduled for Thursday morning and will take anywhere from 4-6 hours.

Please - I ask for your prayers now. I know a lot of folks could care less if someone they walked away from or divorced fell off the face of planet earth, but I can't be that way - my Mom at 84 years young would still kick my hiney as I was raised to forgive and turn the other cheek. I'm a firm believer in keeping a positive attitude and an even bigger believer in the power of prayer. I would so appreciate it. Thank you all and God bless.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254
Default Re: Prayers Deeply Appreciated

Hope everything turns out well !! Our prayers are with you !!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Prayers with your family!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

My prayers will be with your family
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

I wish you all the best!!

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

You already know that Ken is in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

My thoughts are with your friend, Marianne.

Some people are so stubborn when to comes to illness - I have a younger cousin who has totally failed to adjust to life with diabetes.

Let us know if there are any updates.

Nigel
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

You already know that he is definitely in my prayers. Please keep me posted, and if there's anything at all that I can do, even if it's just to lend an ear, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

You already know that you are in my prayers marianne. Keep me updated on how everything turns out.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
wiqidjuggalo
Starter

Member Number: 2600

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Ex-Hubby. I will make sure i mention it to the preacher at my church this coming sunday morning.

?Jarrad Page, we?re not at UCLA anymore. You need to wrap.? ?an ESPN commentator, on the Chiefs rookie?s weak attempt at tackling the Steelers? Nate Washington in a 45-7 loss.
wiqidjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote