Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Post Newspapers with their supposed cuts...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_368263.html

Time to make cuts

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 28, 2005

Time to cut to the chase.

To 65 by Tuesday? To 53 by 4 p.m. Sept. 4?

Why wait?

Well, because running back Jerome Bettis was scheduled to undergo an MRI on Saturday, that's why. Bettis' status relative to his calf and fellow running back Duce Staley's continued rehabilitation from arthroscopic knee surgery are the primary issues the Steelers are wrestling with.

The good news is they'll only have to cut to 71 by Tuesday thanks to six NFL Europe roster exemptions.

That will afford the Steelers plenty of time to sort out who's healthy enough to do what at running back.

Assuming Staley remains on schedule with his rehab, Bettis isn't a long-term concern and nothing dramatic or unforeseen happens in the preseason finale Thursday night at Carolina, the Steelers' final 53 may wind up looking a great deal like the following 53:

Quarterback (3): Ben Roethlisberger (2), Tommy Maddox (9), Charlie Batch (8). Cut: Brian St. Pierre (3).

St. Pierre is appreciably improved, but Batch's 46 career starts make him a more viable alternative as a No. 2 in the event Roethlisberger or Maddox should go down.

Running back (5): Staley (9), Bettis (13), Verron Haynes (4), Willie Parker (2), Dan Kreider (6). Cut: Noah Herron (R), Matt Cushing (7), John Kuhn (R), Zach Tuiasosopo (R).

Parker appears to have supplanted Haynes for the third-down back position, but both will make the final roster (Haynes' experience is invaluable right about now).

Herron has promise but would be well served by a year on the practice squad (a luxury the Steelers might not be able to afford themselves pending resolution of the Staley-Bettis dilemma).

Cushing's versatility (he can also play tight end as well as backup at fullback), special-teams prowess and seasons of service make him an agonizingly tough cut, but the chances are he'll only be a phone call away if needed down the road.

Kreider, who's seemingly indestructible, can be backed up at fullback from the practice squad and given an occasional blow by a tight end in the backfield, a concept the Steelers are beginning to embrace on occasion.

Tight end (3): Jerame Tuman (7), Heath Miller (R), Walter Rasby (11). Cut: Matt Kranchick (2).

Drafting Miller No. 1 meant bad news for Tuman, eventually, and Kranchick, immediately.

Rasby might be the best blocker on the team, and with the running back situation relatively shaky, blocking has never been more of a concern.

Wide receiver (6): Hines Ward (8), Antwaan Randle El (4), Cedrick Wilson (5), Nate Washington (R), Lee Mays (4), Sean Morey (4). Cut: Fred Gibson (R), Chris Collins (1), Chris Doering (8), Zamir Cobb (1), Walter Young (3).

Gibson, a No. 4 pick in April, is on his way to becoming the highest draft pick not to make the team since Danny Farmer (WR, fourth round) in 2000.

Washington's going to make the team even if Gibson's draft status somehow earns him a reprieve.

And even if Gibson receives one, he isn't going to dress on Sundays (he's been that unreliable).

Offensive line (9): Marvel Smith (6), Alan Faneca (8), Jeff Hartings (10), Kendall Simmons (4), Max Starks (2), Barrett Brooks (10), Trei Essex (R), Chris Kemoeatu (R), Chukky Okobi (5). Cut: Ben Claxton (1), Joe Iorio (1), Jake Verstraete (R), Josh Burr (1), Jim Jones (2), Morgan Davis (R), Ulish Booker (R).

Jones can play, but Kemoeatu has been displaying the potential to dominate of late.

Claxton gets the nod over Jones for the practice squad because Claxton can play guard as well as center.

Memo to Smith and Starks: stay healthy.

Defensive line (6): Kimo von Oelhoffen (12), Casey Hampton (5), Aaron Smith (7), Brett Keisel (4), Chris Hoke (5), Travis Kirschke (9). Cut: Grant Bowman (1), Elliot Harris (R), Eric Taylor (1), Shaun Nua (R).

Bowman's well thought of, but Taylor can play end or nose tackle, which will probably earn him a spot on the final 53 next season.

Linebacker (8): Joey Porter (7), James Farrior (9), Larry Foote (4), Clark Haggans (6), James Harrison (2), Clint Kriewaldt (7), Rian Wallace (R), Dedrick Roper (1). Cut: Andre Frazier (R), Alonzo Jackson (3), Ron Stanley (R), Arnold Harrison (R).

Finally, the Jackson mistake (No. 2 in 2003) will be acknowledged. A virtual coin-flip between Frazier and Roper comes up Roper's way because he had a little more experience, having been through an additional camp and a season on the Steelers' practice squad, and because of the ankle injury sustained by Frazier on Friday night.

Defensive back (10): Willie Williams (13), Deshea Townsend (8), Troy Polamalu (3), Chris Hope (4), Ike Taylor (3), Ricardo Colclough (2), Bryant McFadden (R), Chidi Iwuoma (5), Mike Logan (9), Russell Stuvaints (4). Cut: Tyrone Carter (6), Vontez Duff (1), Janssen Patten (1).

Stuvaints noses out Carter, a reliable special-teams performer after joining the Steelers last October, because Stuvaints has been in the Steelers' system longer (he opened 2003 on the practice squad before cracking the active roster in December).

Punter (1): Chris Gardocki (15). Cut: Mike Barr (1).

Kicker (1)
: Jeff Reed (4). Cut: Shaun Suisham (R).

Long-snapper (1): Mike Schneck (7). Cut: Greg Warren (R).

Practice squad: Gibson, Herron, Tuiasosopo, Kranchick, Claxton, Taylor, Nua, Frazier.

Ok, there are a good amount of things I disagree with, and I'll post 'em later. What do you guys think?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Newspapers with their supposed cuts...

I agree w/ basically all of it w/ the exception of cutting Fred Gibson.. I think he has too much of an upside and just needs to work out the kinks and get some more reps.

Cutting Herron most likely won't happen in the first round. I hope he makes the team, but there may just not be enough roster spots.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

With Bus, Duce already injured. And Haynes limping around somewhat. I see Herron making the team. I was really hoping that Cobb and Gibson were going to be good, oh well.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
I agree w/ basically all of it w/ the exception of cutting Fred Gibson.. I think he has too much of an upside and just needs to work out the kinks and get some more reps.

Cutting Herron most likely won't happen in the first round. I hope he makes the team, but there may just not be enough roster spots.
Fred Gibson made a nice catch last game and took a good shot. I was wondering why he wasnt on the field with the last drive maybe Cowher doesnt want to showcase him too much because he wants to sneek him on the practice squad. I hope he sticks. If Mays makes it over him i'll choke myself
Old 08-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I don't believe what they say about keeping Mays, I'm not sure if I'd keep Roper over Frazier, and you never know what's gonna happen between Batch-Frenchy and Rasby-Kranchick. Other than that, there are some things I dont like, but are completely logical from a FO POV :P
Old 08-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

I think cutting Gibson is a mistake....But I'm not the expert either.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I'd cut Lee Mays and keep Gibson on there. I'd also keep Andre Frazier.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote