Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #11
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Tony Hunt or Michael Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
A few questions:

Who is the better blocking back?
Who has better hands?
Who has the higher football IQ?

An NFL back MUST be able to pick up the blitz and be able to block, as well as catch the ball out of the backfield.
The answer to these questions is B. Leonard, oh wait this is about Hunt and Bush.

I like Hunt and Leonard, but I think it's possible Bush has the most upside and will probably last longest on the draft board due to the injury. Hunt IMO is the most seasoned back and would fit in our system and what we want to do.
I would agree with others that the earliest we take a back is in the 3rd round. If any of these guys are available it would be a value pick IMO.

As far as Bush and the injury, we've had others fall into our laps due to injury (H. Miller). I don't believe the injury will effect him long term.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
The answer to these questions is B. Leonard, oh wait this is about Hunt and Bush.

I like Hunt and Leonard, but I think it's possible Bush has the most upside and will probably last longest on the draft board due to the injury. Hunt IMO is the most seasoned back and would fit in our system and what we want to do.
I would agree with others that the earliest we take a back is in the 3rd round. If any of these guys are available it would be a value pick IMO.

As far as Bush and the injury, we've had others fall into our laps due to injury (H. Miller). I don't believe the injury will effect him long term.

Good call on Leonard!!!!...Alot of people have him at fullback...but he started at halfback for over 2 years. 6'1 230 lbs....45 college TD's ...2775 yards (lost yardage due to being a fullback last year)...averaged 4.3 yards as a junior and 4.5 as a senior...
Excellent hands...better than most H-backs this year..so he is a double threat and a red-zone nightmare!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post

what system??? remember this ain't the cowher steelers anymore. the only thing i've heard from this new regime is ariens wants to do more 4& 5 RECIEVER SETS. doesn't sound to much like cowhers ball control mindset. i do like that leonard kid. especially if he was around in the 4th.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,775 Times in 2,938 Posts

heres a nice article on leonard i posted back in november. if the steelers found him, bush and hunt still on the board in the 4th i think they would be in a great (but tough) situation. i heard nobodys ever played with a metal rod in their leg before in the nfl. but nobody thought w. mcgahee would ever play. bush could be a player like him or frank gore who dropped big time due to injuries, but paid off huge divedends.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/newr...reply&p=176733

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im not talking about replacing willie or jeromes career stats, but this guy seems like he would be the perfect addition and replacement for the role jerome had for his final 2 seasons. peter king wrote this after rutgers upset #3 louisville
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../week10/1.html

Quote:
About an hour after the game, I got to meet the poster child for this moment -- a kid named Brian Leonard. You probably have heard of him in this wave of post-Thursday Rutgersmania. (I am not exaggerating when I say that in my town, Montclair, about eight miles west of the Meadowlands and 30 miles north of the Rutgers campus, interest in the Rutgers-Louisville game tripled interest in the Giants-Bears game last week.) The Leonard story has been told far and wide, but here is the very abridged version.

After his older brother went to Rutgers and loved it, Brian spurned Notre Dame to attend Rutgers in '02 ... and the Knights promptly went 1-11. One night, when some partiers discovered a football player's car was near, Brian got a beer bottle smashed on the roof of his car. He worked himself into a 6-2, 235-pound fullback, and after totaling 1,308 rushing/receiving yards and 17 touchdowns last year, thought seriously about declaring for the NFL draft. People in the know said he'd be a third-round pick, maybe second. But Leonard said no, he'd stay for his fifth season. He told a Rutgers basketball crowd at halftime of a January game that he was coming back to play in a BCS game. And this fall, as the closest thing Rutgers football has ever had to a cult hero, Leonard has seen RU grad James Gandolfini wearing his number 23 jersey to football games.

On this night, the game was tied at 25 with 2:18 to play. Rutgers had the ball at its 35, third and six. The most important third-down conversion of the year was about to be attempted. If Rutgers converted, the Knights would at least be able to play for overtime while keeping it away from Louisville. If Rutgers failed, Louisville would have enough time and timeouts to get into field-goal range -- provided the Cards could move the ball better than they had throughout a listless second half. Though the most explosive offensive player on the team clearly had become Rice, Schiano wanted the ball in the hands of his most trusted player on the biggest play of the night. Leonard took a swing pass up the right side, got great blocking and plowed 26 yards. Now it was a matter of time.

• Nov. 11, 2005: Louisville 56, Rutgers 5. With a 49-5 lead in the fourth quarter, Louisville throws seven passes on a 97-yard drive to a final touchdown. There are some stupid things you can do in college football, but kicking a rising team when it's down by throwing with a 44-point lead and a few minutes left is one of the big ones. Nice motivation, Cards.

"Sickest feeling I've ever had in my life,'' Leonard says.

The minicams, four of them, jostled with the print reporters last Thursday to get in a question to Leonard, a polite kid who patiently explained what this night meant.

"This is why I came back,'' he said. "This night. This game. My dream's coming true right now. I've been through the worst around here. My first year, we went 1-11. We had people swearing at us. I had my car smashed with a beer bottle. And tonight I stood on the field after we beat the number three team in the country, watching our fans swarm all over us. People thought I was nuts for staying here instead of going to the NFL, but no money can buy this feeling I have right now. None.''

The waves leave, and it's me and him now. I asked him if he was happy that he stayed, even though his draft stock might have fallen as his stats plummeted this year with Rice emerging.

"Very,'' he said. "This is the happiest day of my life.''

His voice began to waver.

"This is a dream we're all living right now, a dream you can't put a price on. I'm the type of guy who feels like every moment is good, no matter what the stats are.[b] Blocking for Ray is good. The little catches are good. The moment is good. This win is good. I love it all.

"The NFL's good. Money's good. But I never had money growing up. My family didn't have money. My mom's an accountant. My dad's a cable guy. They don't care that they weren't rich. They're the two happiest people on the planet. They live life the way it should be lived and passed that on to their kids. Money doesn't buy happiness. I'll tell you what is happiness to me: Jumping up and down on the 50-yard line, right on the "R,'' surrounded by three cops and my teammates. That's happiness.''

One last NFL thought from Leonard: "I don't like the 'me' guys very much. This is the biggest team sport in the world. I don't understand why a team fights so hard to get to the end zone, and one guy scores, and he just wants to celebrate by himself. He should be celebrating with his team, shouldn't he?''

I walked out of the stadium that night thinking: Once Tom Brady gets to know about Brian Leonard, he'll politic for the Pats to draft him next year. What a perfect sledgehammer and safety valve for the Patriots.

Or, for that matter, for any of the other NFL teams. I have a feeling we'll be seeing an influx of Leonard and his pals in the NFL in the next few years. But guys, we can wait. Enjoy this while you can. It'll never be better.
ive never really watched him play but this dude sounds like he was born to be a steeler. (especially if his stock plummets to beyond the 3rd round.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:50 AM   #15
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Mark my words. Not one of those three will make it to the 4th.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #16
One4TheOtherThumb
Water Boy

Member Number: 5269

If you watched both of them play, I dont see how you can pass on Hunt. He ran behind what was arguably the worst 4 year stretch of O-lines during the Paterno era and still finished second on the career rushing list. He's a complete back that gets stronger with every carry, and hes more durable than Bush. Also, if we do go to more multiple WR sets next year, Hunts a great fit for that as well. After PSU brought in DWill, Butler, and Norwood, Hunt ran out of single back sets quite a bit and was just as successful.
One4TheOtherThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #17
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

WTF? We don't need any of those guys, we have John Kuhn.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

HUNT

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #19
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

If I had these 2 to chose from in the 3rd round then I would chose Hunt... but not any earlier on a RB..
Jesus Is Coming
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
steelcitysfinestXL
Water Boy

Member Number: 5286

Im a HUGE PSU fan and Hunt is the real deal. Now w/ that being said, Michael Bush would be the better back for us.
+'s : Recruited as a Quarterback out of Highschool. Great hands,looks smooth and comfortable catching the ball. Great feet, 250lbs w/ straight line speed to outrun most college defenders (note: this will be a lil dif. w/ the speed in the NFL) GREAT VISION, finds holes quickly w/ a great burst and when he keeps his pads low he blows through tacklers. Vision helps him find cutback lanes very well.
-'s : Durability issues w/ broken leg and also missed 2 games in '05... will need technique help w/ blocking but the willingness is there ( anyone whos ever played football knows blocking is 2 thinks heart and footwork, so he should be fine w/ a lil coaching)

The biggest thing to me is in the year that Lindell White, Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams, Maurice Jones Drew, and Jerious Norwood were drafted Michael Bush led all RB's in the NCAA in TD's (23). If you havent seen him play he is an animal. If rehab goes well this guy could the steal of the century (well maybe 2nd to bush to New Orleans in '06) as a late second rounder possible 3rd!!!
steelcitysfinestXL is offline   Reply With Quote