Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default McGahee Guarantees Hot Reception In Buffalo

All sorts of warning lights flash when Willis McGahee (self confessed best RB in the NFL) opens his mouth.

Lets run through Willis' latest interview...and then imagine this guy just signed for your team.

Quote:
"I've grown a whole lot," McGahee says. "It doesn't feel like it's been five years since college. Coming from Miami, I was used to partying, going out, just having something to do every night. Restaurants, whatever. Going to Buffalo, it was like hitting a brick wall. Like, 'Damn!' Can't go out, can't do nothing. There's an Applebee's, a TGI Friday's, and they just got a Dave & Busters. They got that, and I'm like, 'What the?' And, you know, the women ...
So you've 'grown a whole lot'?

And the proof is whining that there aren't a bunch of places to party every night and insulting the local women?

Quote:
"You see, when I was in college that's what I used to thrive off of," the 25-year-old says. "The better you do, the more fame you get. So you know, it was like, I was used to that. And then you get to Buffalo and no matter how you do, it's the same. It's no big city. You know what I did every day? I came home and played video games."
The more fame you get......any alarm bells going off for you guys?

This guy is quite the team player - a guy is only interested in personal accomplishments and whose imagination doesn't allow him to see past partying and video games as a way to utilise his free time.

I predict baltimore have invested alot of money in a guy who could be a very disruptive influence if things dont go his way.

Baltimore don't have an offense that is much more efffective than Buffalo's - its fair to say Willis won't have huge gaping holes to burst through on a regular basis (insert Bengals joke here) - averaging les than 4ypc isn't going to be any great fun.

Does anybody think this guy sounds like a wise signing?

If I was a Pittsburgh (or a Cincy or Cleveland) fan i'd be pretty pleased Willis was in a division rivals lockerroom and not mine.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: McGahee Guarantees Hot Reception In Buffalo

Problem is, is that in Baltimore he'll have the opportunity to go out and party until 3 or 4am. The other problem is there are plenty of others who at that time will take a shot at you and I'm not talking about with fists or pool sticks!!

So be careful what you wish for Willis - Baltimore will give you the party you want but it will also give you the thugs that come with it. Oh wait, you'll be playing with Ray Ray so it'll be ok for you!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Oh wait, you'll be playing with Ray Ray so it'll be ok for you!
Ohhhh...... He went there!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Ohhhh...... He went there!!!
What? WHAT? What did I say? Where did I go?

I'm innocent I tell you - innocent!!!!

Can't we all just get along

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881

Hot reception is putting it mildly. I'm in Buffalo (student at UB), and let me tell you, people are pissed. Can't blame them either, because wow. Who does that? *remembers what Plax Burress said before he left Pittsburgh, which wasn't exactly the same thing, but just as bad* Oh wait...never mind.
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

I remember when before playing the Chargers, Willis said he was the best RB in the league. Then we beat them 48-10 or something like that. He's a tool
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Way to repay the team and city that took a chance on you when everyone thought your career was over before it really started, Willis!

I can't wait until our first game against the Rats, just so that we can shut his mouth once and for all.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881

Article from the Buffalo News:

Dear Willis McGahee,

Your words to The Baltimore Sun certainly stung some people in this town, leaving them calling for you to apologize. Not me. I have to say thank you.

Thanks for putting to rest any regrets Buffalo fans may have had about seeing you gone. There was some fan disgruntlement after they shipped you to Baltimore for a couple of third-round draft picks and a roll of tape.

But you took care of that in an article Sunday in the Baltimore Sun:

“Coming from Miami, I was used to partying, going out, just having something to do every night. Restaurants, whatever. Going to Buffalo, it was like hitting a brick wall,” you told The Sun. “Like, ‘Damn!’ Can’t go out, can’t do nothing. There’s an Applebee’s, a TGI Friday’s, and they just got a Dave & Busters. They got that, and I’m like, ‘What the?’ And, you know, the women …”

“You see, when I was in college that’s what I used to thrive off of,” you told The Sun. “The better you do, the more fame you get. So you know, it was like, I was used to that. And then you get to Buffalo and no matter how you do, it’s the same. It’s no big city. You know what I did every day? I came home and played video games.”

Buffalo has earned its reputation as a thin-skinned town honestly. All those people howling on the radio talk shows and tearing up your jerseys for bar rags at Coles won’t do anything to eliminate that.

What you did for me, though, was make me giggle.

Are there any more out there like you? Any other young millionaires so drained after their exertions that they lack even the drive to point their limo at Chippewa? Nothing to look forward to after practice but a Chicken Quesadilla Grande at Applebee’s and heading home to seek solace in the waiting arms of Grand Theft Auto. What a bleak vision.

How fortunate for you, and us, that you could not muster the energy to tangle with Buffalo nightlife. To not follow in the cleat-prints of generations of Bills and Sabres before you, and find a place to soak up the adulation of fans.

You preferred the Miami nightlife, you certainly made that clear. Like when you refused to leave Miami a month early in the off-season to join most of your teammates, working out before the season started.

Who could argue with your assertion that Buffalo doesn’t boast Miami-caliber clubs? The chuckle-worthy part is that you were surprised — you being a college graduate and all — then acted like nighttime entertainment meant more to you than your day job.

You even started talking about Buffalo’s women. I suppose we’ll have to wait for nine months or so to see if you actually met any.

If you had spent a little more time in Buffalo, instead of flying back to Miami between practices, you might have gotten to know the city better.

Sure, I’m biased, because I like the place I live. But I’m not the only one — hard-eyed strangers from The Washington Post, New York Times, and even your new hometown paper, the Baltimore Sun — have been surprised by what a fine time you can have here. The Toronto Star, in a city twice as big as Baltimore and Miami together, described the Chippewa Strip as an area that “really swings at night.”

That’s one reason your inability to find a good restaurant in Buffalo remains inexplicable. It rather reminds me of your inability to find a hole on third-and- two.

From the steak at Prime 490 to the foie gras at Tempo, you can eat like a king in Buffalo. Drink like one, too, from wine bars to sleek martini dens.

If your yardstick of excellence is Dave & Busters, though, I can see where you’d feel let down. How sad you left before the Cheesecake Factory at the Galleria really took off.

But don’t worry; no matter where you go, you can always call Domino’s. I hear they have what many people outside Buffalo would consider pizza. And here’s a tip for making it in your new home: Don’t tell reporters that TGI Friday’s has the best crab cakes in town.

It was interesting to note that the same Sun story quoted one of your Miami coaches saying the best way to make Willis McGahee listen was to get to your mother.

It was heartening to hear you’re so close to your mother. Too bad she never taught you how to act when someone takes a chance on you. The Buffalo Bills organization bet millions of dollars and the hopes of Bills fans that your heart mattered more than your knee.

In the end, what you showed Buffalo was the finger.

No regrets, though. We’re Buffalo. We’ve taken every shot history and fate could deal us. Buffalo has tasted more flavors of nightmare than Tim Horton’s has doughnuts, and you know what? We’re still standing. We’re still cheering for the Buffalo Sabres, and yes, the Buffalo Bills.

You want to take shots at Buffalo? You want to make yourself seem bigger by calling us small?

Nobody expected you, or other athletes, to pretend Buffalo is Paradise, or even Miami. Just to show some common courtesy and a bit of respect for the people who pay your salary, and the town whose hopes you carry.

Thank you, Willis McGahee. At least you’ve cleared the Bills’ team doctors from blame.

All the physical therapy in the world wasn’t going to fix the most important part of you that was broken.

Yes, yes, I'm looking forward to watching our defense kick him in the teeth twice a year starting this coming season.
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Was it 'bad buisness' and or in very poor taste to make such comments regarding the City of Buffalo ? Yes,....but at the same time it might not be a matter of him 'bashing' the City per se as much as it may be a matter of him expressing his own 'personal truth'.

What i mean by this is,.....as a young millionaire with no responsibilities in regards to a Family (ie wife and children) What else is there to do outside of preparation for and or actually playing football ? Meaning,.... from his viewpoint (which certainly has room for growth regarding maturity),....."I'll indulge myself in vice,...be it beautiful women and or partying"
Once again this is nonsense,.....but he must 'grow out of it'. Trust me,....life has a funny way of making this so.
As far as his arrogance,......well,.... we'll just leave that to the field. Which also has it's own strange way of seperating hollow bravado from victory. LOL
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Something is telling me that the Ravens are getting a little big-headed and will start talking a bunch of crap in 2007. Willis is just the tip of the iceberg. It happened before. They started getting bad-wordy before their playoff game against the Colts. Which they lost to my delight.

I hope the Steelers stick it to them next season.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote