Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts
Default Re: trade faneca and #15 pick...

But what is really staggering – and what threatens to create some serious salary cap problems down the line – is the money the offensive guards have commanded. Many talent evaluators have long considered guard a non-essential position and there was a belief that you didn't need to pay major sums to sign the most talented guards. The feeling was that for $4 million-$5 million a season and modest guaranteed money, you could sign some of the best guards in the league. That was before the combined $137 million in deals, $52.5 million guaranteed, signed by Eric Steinbach (Cleveland Browns), Kris Dielman (San Diego Chargers) and Derrick Dockery (Buffalo Bills).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

the rest of the article is pretty informative also.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/a...ing_out_1.html

Buffalo's best acquisition thus far in free agency has been ex-Washington Redskins left guard Derrick Dockery. The Bills set the market for interior O-linemen by signing the 6-foot-6, 325-pounder to a seven-year, $49 million deal with $18 million in guaranteed money. Shockingly, it's the same contract the Minnesota Vikings signed Steve Hutchinson to last offseason, which was at the time the largest deal ever for an offensive guard.

Later Friday, the Cleveland Browns signed the consensus top guard, Eric Steinbach, to a seven-year, $49 million deal with $18.5 in guarantees. Therefore, the Bills' front office and coaches perhaps believed Dockery, not Steinbach, was the best guard available.

anyone still think the steelers will resign faneca?
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
but what would faneca's contract be like compared to a 1st rd rookie? by that i meen fanaca is going to be looking for a huge signing bonus (garuanteed money) since its probably his last contract.
even more reason to trade him. seattle was about to throw the bank at dielman from the chargers. does anyone really know who is deilman? i still cant remember the 2 linemen buffalo picked up. theyve never even been to a pro bowl. leonard davis? all these guys, along with hutchinson, are in the $50 million range. is faneca really gonna take a discount to them when teams are dying to spend, spend, spend?

fanecas money for his next contract is already money in the bank. he can come out and perform like leonard davis, and you know what? he will get paid like leonard davis. the only thing that will hurt this is him getting injured. im not sure i want a player who is playing not to get injured or whos focus is on their next team.

i would love to keep him but at the expense of who? m. smith, h. ward, c. hampton, i. taylor, j. farrior, a. smith?

we got about 20 players making 4 mil+. thats 80 mil of the cap right there leaving 30 mil for 30 players. we have tons of back up players and even starters making well over a million per. players like ward, hampton and smith are gonna be over 6 mil each in cap space next year.

are we gonna let players coming off their rookie contracts walk to keep faneca for the next 5 years? anthony smith, polamalu, simmons, miller, mcfadden, starks?

a caller to sirius today proposed trading faneca to arizona for their 2nd and 3rd rounders (this would keep our 15 and we wouldnt have to worry about paying a 5). tim ryan and pat kirwan agreed that this would be a move the steelers would seriously have to consider. i personally think its a little too low cause we are practically guaranteed a 3rd rounder from the nfl if faneca walks in free agency. anyways, looking at the draft chart (which i look at as value of the slot, and not necessarilly the player you wil get) arizonas 2nd and 3rd is equivalent to the 23rd pick in the draft. the steelers typically dont draft busts in the 1st round. sure theyve gotten burnt reaching for wr's but they even reversed that trend last year.

2 2nds, 2 3rds, and 2 4ths (and all the flexibility to do what you want with those picks) is mighty appealing to a rookie head coach looking to build a team in his image. why handcuff him?

our line was built with jerome, staley, and to some extent kordell in mind. its a far cry from willie parker and big ben. sure ben can scramble, but only stewart could scramble and escape with anything resembling the effectiveness of mike vick. ben was simply sacked too much last year. our line has always been great, but not just because of faneca. having a 6th and 7th blocker like jerome and breuner definitely helped.

the rooneys adeptly saw that cowher, whiz, grimm, porter are not our future. i think the writing is on the wall for faneca.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts

the first guard taken in last years draft was davin joeseph.(tampa bay) pick # 23. he signed a 5 yr 10 million contract.

i agree tony. it would be foolish to keep him for 1 more year and get maybe a third supplement,when he has much more value now.

its crazy when you think about it....but having a top performer at his position,is a liability in todays nfl.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #14
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think we should get thier second rounder this year and next year for Faneca.

I'd love to see us take Levi Jones with the 15th pick,take Ben Grubbs (Gaurd,Auburn) with Arizona's pick in the 2nd (ala Faneca is replaced),and then take a LB/DE with our other pick in the 2nd round.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think I've lost touch with today's fans...trading Faneca now is just insane, and it won't happen, but the fact that it's even being considered just rocks me...

The Hutch thing was an anomaly and the NFL will have to readjust after they get over the new TV money. You can't pay OG's LT money...it just won't work.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
the first guard taken in last years draft was davin joeseph.(tampa bay) pick # 23. he signed a 5 yr 10 million contract.

thats a hell of a coincidence that arizonas 2nd and 3rd picks = 23rd over all on the draft value chart.

if faneca does play out his contract, its possible arizona and seattle get in a bidding war for his services. seattle is kicking themselves for losing hutchinson. deilman turned down a much richer offer from them to remain with SD. the steelers simply dont get involved in bidding wars. they have a price in mind and it will not be exceeded for nothing (not even an extension for a reigning champion head coach)
Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

In fact, here are some articles that outline the ridiculousness of the situation:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...t-market_x.htm
http://www.examiner.com/a-591228~Col...cid=rss-Sports
Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
I think I've lost touch with today's fans...trading Faneca now is just insane, and it won't happen, but the fact that it's even being considered just rocks me...

The Hutch thing was an anomaly and the NFL will have to readjust after they get over the new TV money. You can't pay OG's LT money...it just won't work.
you dont think thats what faneca will instruct his agent to say next year to the team that offers him LT money do you? the cap wont keep going up forever but it is going up again next year and 20 mil guaranteed is 20 mil guaranteed. youre right, the rooneys wont give him LT $$$. with fanecas resume, some team will though.

i cant hope for him to take a hometown discount to the tune of 2 mil/year. (if he was inclined to do that wouldnt he have done it already?) i sure hope im wrong cause the steelers are definitely better with him than w/o.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

The spending spree has to end sooner or later...I'm hoping sooner.

As an example, how did WAY overspending on Steve Hutchinson work out for the Vikings?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #20
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
The spending spree has to end sooner or later...I'm hoping sooner.

As an example, how did WAY overspending on Steve Hutchinson work out for the Vikings?
well it didnt work for the vikings, but it sure hurt seattle by not being able to match. so much in fact, they were willing to try and make up for the mistake by throwing tons of cash at deilman. this spending spree will end. but not at the hands of players. it will take savy owners such as the rooneys, to say "the buck stops here", and not acting rediculous with their money and a player. an act like that might force other teams to reconsider (although it sure didnt with porters situation).

right now, the numbers say its between troy or faneca. or else cut all our experienced depth and beg ward to take a severe pay cut.