Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Don't completely rule out 4-3

Don't completely rule out 4-3 Steelers defense

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 2, 2007

The NFL is a no-nonsense league, and Mike Tomlin is a no-nonsense coach.

Whatever inclination Tomlin may have had to convert the Steelers from their traditional 3-4 base defense to a 4-3 in his first season was tempered by the fact that he doesn't have the personnel to pull it off.

2008? Maybe.

2009? Perhaps.

But not in 2007, not when the Steelers don't have enough speed-rushing defensive ends and an active, space-eating middle linebacker to do more than experiment with the 4-3.

"Really, I think my philosophy in terms of style of play falls in line with what's been done in Pittsburgh," Tomlin told reporters last week at the owners meetings, when he made it official that the Steelers will stick with the 3-4. "Whether you do it out of a four-man or a three-man line, the attacking personality and mentality is the same."

And convenient.

The Steelers' defense will continue doing what it does best, led by players best suited for the 3-4.

That doesn't mean the Steelers, who retained veteran defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, won't present 4-3 looks from time to time. Fact is, the Steelers already have.

Last season, when LeBeau moved ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel inside and turned outside linebackers Joey Porter and Clark Haggans into defensive ends on passing downs, the Steelers adopted a 4-3.

"Some successful defenses do it week-to-week," Tomlin said. "I think New England's done it for quite some time. Believe me, Dick's played some 4-3 or some four-down (linemen) packages.

"Football is football. I think sometimes X's and O's are overrated. It's about us putting our guys in position to play well."

Bottom line: The Steelers lack the personnel to play 4-3 all the time.

Even if Smith moved to defensive tackle full-time next to Casey Hampton, which he could do with relative ease, that would still leave the Steelers short at defensive end.

Keisel was impressive in his first year as a starting defensive end, but he isn't the prototypical pass rusher (such as Tampa Bay's Simeon Rice and the Colts' Dwight Freeney) needed to make the 4-3 work as an every-down defense.

The Steelers need more pass-rushing ends, or linebackers who can play end, or ends who can play linebacker. They are likely to address those needs in this year's draft.

At linebacker, James Farrior and Larry Foote would be the top candidates to start in the middle. But that would be asking them to play away from their strengths, which is attacking the run and making short drops in the passing game, and forcing them to play more in open spaces and make deeper drops.

Of course, Tomlin was smart enough to hint at the owners meetings that it wouldn't hurt if Steelers opponents were forced to prepare for both the 3-4 and 4-3.

The Steelers could take a page from the Baltimore Ravens, who confused the Steelers when they mixed up their pass-rushing schemes.

Baltimore, which combines elements of the 3-4 and 4-3, had pass rushers coming from everywhere.

Trevor Pryce, who played defensive end on most rushing downs, moved inside against the pass. Sometimes end/outside linebacker Terrell Suggs rushed from the oustide; sometimes he would loop inside. Pryce and Suggs also lined up together.

Just because the Steelers haven't changed their basic defense doesn't mean that Tomlin can't have the best of both worlds: a 3-4 foundation with its fair share of 4-3 looks.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_500679.html
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Don't completely rule out 4-3

I would like the hybrid defense,just gives more wrinkles for the offense to look at.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I like the idea o a hybrid to, just not a 50-50 hybrid

more like 70% 3-4 and 30% 4-3
Old 04-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
Blitzburger
Water Boy

Member Number: 5280

I am a big fan of hybrid 'd'. The Patriots have been using it for years (though they stole it from the '95 Superbowl' era Steelers, along with so many of their best players), and the Panthers got the Superbowl recently using Julius Peppers as a lineman/end combo, which the Ravens started copying whe Marvin LEwis left as D. coord.

The Steelers under LeBeau already change their fronts alot, they just do it with their base personnel - taking Casy Hampton out, moving Porter and Haggans inside the OT's to form a 4-down front on passing downs. Hopefully Tomlin will keep this up, and do even more shifting with linebackers and the secondary too, since we should take advantage of having the best safety in all of football. That's the beauty of the 3-4 zone reads the Steelers do, they are incredibly versatile.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Always keep'm guessin'.........
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburger View Post
I am a big fan of hybrid 'd'. The Patriots have been using it for years (though they stole it from the '95 Superbowl' era Steelers, along with so many of their best players), and the Panthers got the Superbowl recently using Julius Peppers as a lineman/end combo, which the Ravens started copying whe Marvin LEwis left as D. coord.

The Steelers under LeBeau already change their fronts alot, they just do it with their base personnel - taking Casy Hampton out, moving Porter and Haggans inside the OT's to form a 4-down front on passing downs. Hopefully Tomlin will keep this up, and do even more shifting with linebackers and the secondary too, since we should take advantage of having the best safety in all of football. That's the beauty of the 3-4 zone reads the Steelers do, they are incredibly versatile.
Welcome to the board! By the way, AWESOME sig!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

There is probably some very good reasons why every team doesn't just use a 'hybrid' D for the advantages noted above.

Its mentally taxing to learn all the extra positions that means your roster must contain enough intelligent, self motivated players to make it work.

Not many players have the raw physical measureables to be able to play many different positions in multiple schemes.

Personally, I believe its something you build toward over the course of a couple of seasons - to try and implement a hybrid because of all the extra 'wrinkles' involves doesn't take into account the potential for things to go very wrong on the field.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
aussiesteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 5027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
There is probably some very good reasons why every team doesn't just use a 'hybrid' D for the advantages noted above.

Its mentally taxing to learn all the extra positions that means your roster must contain enough intelligent, self motivated players to make it work.

Not many players have the raw physical measureables to be able to play many different positions in multiple schemes.

Personally, I believe its something you build toward over the course of a couple of seasons - to try and implement a hybrid because of all the extra 'wrinkles' involves doesn't take into account the potential for things to go very wrong on the field.
That is one of the most intelligent things i've heard today. do you secretely work for nfl.com or espn. wait, your too smart for those guys!!!
aussiesteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteelers View Post
That is one of the most intelligent things i've heard today. do you secretely work for nfl.com or espn. wait, your too smart for those guys!!!
No. LITP is a secret agent (or maybe not so scret agent) for the PAT's. His goal is to mix us up and confuse us!.....But it is interesting....Oh crap, maybe LITP is OK and being honest. I respect someone who routes for someone else and is a smart, decent, honest contributor to SF. no subterfuge...front door.... However, we are gonna kick PAT's butt next year!
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
JuniorSteelerfan
Banned

Member Number: 5291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
I like the idea o a hybrid to, just not a 50-50 hybrid

more like 70% 3-4 and 30% 4-3
I agree if we could accomplish it maybe nest year we could be the ones confusing the ravens!
JuniorSteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote