Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482
Default No love for Troy??

Story taken from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...t&lid=tab3pos1

Quote:
Who is the best defensive player in the NFL?

Eric Allen: Champ Bailey gets my vote for top defensive player in a tight race over Shawne Merriman. It's amazing to watch Bailey play the same position that I played. He doesn't dominate because he's physically better than his opposition, but because he has worked on his technique and put in the time in the film room. He not only dominates the other team's No. 1 receiver from 20-yard line to 20-yard line, but he gets better in the red zone. That's the sign of a truly great cornerback. Bailey gets better in the red zone where a quarterback can throw to a spot for a touchdown or a receiver can get just enough space to make a play that can devastate a team.

John Clayton: Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman has emerged as the game's best defender last season. Merriman was suspended for four games last season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Despite that, he had 17 sacks. The league hasn't seen a pass-rushing threat like Merriman since Lawrence Taylor. Merriman brings the pass-rushing skills of Taylor along with the on-the-field energy of Junior Seau. The NFL has a tight race for the top defender with Merriman competing against Jason Taylor of the Dolphins, Champ Bailey for the Broncos and Brian Urlacher of the Bears every year.

Jeremy Green: There are many great defensive players in the NFL. However, when you talk about the best, you have to talk about a player that changes the game. He has to be a guy that an offense has to game plan for. A guy that keeps offensive coordinators up at night.

In my opinion that player is Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers. He can play on the right and left side. He is a dominating pass rusher who has to be double teamed on a consistent basis. What makes Peppers special though is that he is equally effective against the run. He is excellent playing the run at the point of attack and can also chase laterally and make plays down the line of scrimmage.

Peppers is a player that you have to build your game plan around. He can line up all over the defensive front and needs constant attention. That attention frees up other players. He is a player that dominates on a weekly basis and makes everyone around him better. To me that defines being the best defensive player in the NFL.

Len Pasquarelli: Because quarterbacks generally avoid throwing in the direction of Champ Bailey, no defender in the NFL gets fewer chances for big plays than the Denver Broncos' seven-time Pro Bowl cornerback. And no defender takes advantage of more of his chances to alter a game. Bailey is the closest thing to a true shutdown corner the league has seen since Deion Sanders was in his prime. At a position where it's difficult to dominate, Bailey does. Blessed with incredible instincts and great hands, Bailey tied for the NFL high in 2006 with 10 interceptions and has 18 of his 39 career pickoffs the last two seasons. How good is that? There are eight modern-era cornerbacks in the Hall of Fame and none ever had more than 17 interceptions over a two-season stretch.

Sean Salisbury: I'm going with Jason Taylor, the defending NFL defensive player of the year. Sure, Merriman probably had better stats and Bailey plays the sexier position, but Taylor means more to his team. I'm excited to see him play with Joey Porter this season. Taylor has the ability to play with his hand down or upright as well or better than pretty much any player in the league. He does a tremendous job of making big plays and confusing opposing quarterbacks. Quarterbacks simply have no idea what he's going to do and where he's going to line up.

Joe Theismann: The best defensive player in the league is Merriman. His stats are straight out of a video game and he has quickly become the most feared defensive player in the league. He's done a great job of combining his intelligence with his amazing physical gifts to become as close to the perfect linebacker as you can get. He's going to dominate for years to come and may end up with the sack record before it's all over.

Why is it when coaches talk about Troy and what he brings to the game all they seem to do is drool over this guy. And even before the games the media guys say how amazing he is and versatile he is in the defensive back field. If in fact he is as amazing as they say, and we all know he is, then why doesnt his name ever come up in these conversations? Is it because he not a flashy trash talking player and generally keeps to himself and rarely does interviews like these other guys. Im not saying the players mentioned here are just flash in the pan players, but I would take Troy over any of these guys any day. With maybe the exception of Merriman, Troy is the only one who can change the outlook of the game just by doing what he does.

I knew Theismann would never say anything good about the Steelers, but then again I would also compare Theismann to a flaming bag of dog poo.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: No love for Troy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
With maybe the exception of Merriman,
Let's see if that's the case this season when his body has a full offseason minus the roids. I'm not stating the guy's career is going bottom out, but it's something I will follow with curiosity.

As for Troy. I think coming off an 8-8 season and a pass defense that wasn't exactly stellar may have something to do with the choices. That's my only explanation.

Then again, Baltimore Raven fans could say the same when dealing with Ed Reed and I believe they have more of a legitimate beef than we do pertaining to this situation. Better record and Reed put up better numbers than Troy.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Troy had a down year in 2006 and is regarded as being somewhat undisciplined in pass coverage.

That does not mean he is not a great player, but his stock is down somewhat since his transcendent playoff run of Bengals/Colts/Broncos (he was dinged up for the SB).

I am somewhat amused by the love for Merriman; he had a great 2006, but let's see how he plays if he gets off the juice. At least the name Ray Lewis is no longer in the conversation when best defensive player is brought up.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Let's see if that's the case this season when his body has a full offseason minus the roids. I'm not stating the guy's career is going bottom out, but it's something I will follow with curiosity.

As for Troy. I think coming off an 8-8 season and a pass defense that wasn't exactly stellar may have something to do with the choices. That's my only explanation.

Then again, Baltimore Raven fans could say the same when dealing with Ed Reed and I believe they have more of a legitimate beef than we do pertaining to this situation. Better record and Reed put up better numbers than Troy.
Ed Reed I could see having a legitimate case for being up there. I would just like Troy to get some of the recognition he deserves is all. As for Merriman I dont know what to think about this guy...I like his passion and enthusiasm but I hate the fact he took roids and of course tried to cover it up by saying 'he didnt know.'

Personally I think Champ might be a little over rated, remember when ben pump faked him out of jock...I do! Jason Taylor I like and cant say anything against.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

JT is a beast,best DE in the league no doubt.Merriman is a beast,with or without 'roids.Champ Bailey is the best coverage corner in the league.

Troy was hurt for a good chunk of the year and played hurt,so that hurt him in something like this.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post

Personally I think Champ might be a little over rated, remember when ben pump faked him out of jock...I do! Jason Taylor I like and cant say anything against.
a cb getting pump faked a time or 2 doesnt really mean much. it comes with the territory, especially for an aggressive playmaking cb. i remember ben trying to go to the well twice last year and getting burnt by champ.

then there was the great rod woodson looking silly and getting juked out of his knee ligaments trying to tackle barry sanders. even the best get beat and champ is definitely the best out there. troy has a bit to go to impact the games the way champ does.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Troy had a down year in 2006 and is regarded as being somewhat undisciplined in pass coverage.

That does not mean he is not a great player, but his stock is down somewhat since his transcendent playoff run of Bengals/Colts/Broncos (he was dinged up for the SB).

I am somewhat amused by the love for Merriman; he had a great 2006, but let's see how he plays if he gets off the juice. At least the name Ray Lewis is no longer in the conversation when best defensive player is brought up.
Didnt want that statement to go unnoticed.....
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Didnt want that statement to go unnoticed.....
Glad that you noticed that it went unnoticed

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

troy isnt used like merriman or like champ bailey, troy is a different breed. he is amazing but he isnt the adrian wilson getting 120 tackles a year or a brian urlacher getting 175 tackles a year, but he does the intangables(spelling?).troy is the best at doing what he does.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Personally, I don't give much credibility to TV analysts because they all have their personal prejudices and preferences. We all know what kind of player Troy is, but, like the rest the rest of the team, he had a sub-par year and he played hurt besides. I look for Troy to be back to form next season and make the "talking heads" eat some crow sammiches once again.