Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #11
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268
Default Re: STEELERS DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we usually have 4 h-backs on the roster, plus kreider as the fullback.

jerome
duce
verron
willie

verron
willie
duce
najeh

willie
najeh

we need 2 backs.

Poor poor Dan never even gets counted had the highest yards per carry on the team last year at 7 per (or I made this up dont recall I think it was 3 runs for 21 yards)

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #12
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
And the obsession with the 'big back' continues.

Patrick Willis is an ILB so I don't see how he can be a replacement for Joey Porter.
The facts are the facts LITP, Tony and others are right, we do need another back. Now, what round and whom that back is we will find out. FWP is a dynamic RB, but we need another back at least as insurance and at the best for a future dynamic duo. Not to mention we really need a back that excels at blocking in the backfield, FWP is not that guy, IMO Hunt fits that mold and has the north/south running style that compliments FWP.

Willis definetly won't replace Porter but IMO he would be a great pick at 15. We could use some youth at LB period, inside or out, and he appears to be the best at the position in the draft. We could always pick up the outside guy in the 2nd or even 3rd, as the pool is deeper especially at DE/OLB.

I know we need to replace Porter, but value on the board and value to the Steelers should be the factors at the time we pick. We have more than one need so the best player available to us should be the mentality. IMO pick the best players, don't chase the position. That is how you stockpile talent.

We have alot of option IMO. We should definetely be able to satisfy our needs day 1.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
The facts are the facts LITP, Tony and others are right, we do need another back. Now, what round and whom that back is we will find out. FWP is a dynamic RB, but we need another back at least as insurance and at the best for a future dynamic duo. Not to mention we really need a back that excels at blocking in the backfield, FWP is not that guy, IMO Hunt fits that mold and has the north/south running style that compliments FWP.

Willis definetly won't replace Porter but IMO he would be a great pick at 15. We could use some youth at LB period, inside or out, and he appears to be the best at the position in the draft. We could always pick up the outside guy in the 2nd or even 3rd, as the pool is deeper especially at DE/OLB.

I know we need to replace Porter, but value on the board and value to the Steelers should be the factors at the time we pick. We have more than one need so the best player available to us should be the mentality. IMO pick the best players, don't chase the position. That is how you stockpile talent.

We have alot of option IMO. We should definetely be able to satisfy our needs day 1.
Ok, I can agree that the Steelers will look at RB at some point - most teams take a punt on one at some stage of the draft.

But I don't agree that it is a draft priority and shouldn't be a 1st day pick.

From what I have seen from FWP and his rate of improvement, I think he can only get better at the other areas of his game - such as picking up the blitz.

I am not at all convinced that the 2-back system is really going to catch on in the NFL either, alot of the scenarios recently have involved a quality veteran, and then a young stud picked up in the draft to eventually replace him.

Addai was the Colts replacement for Edge, but Rhodes was given a majority of the starts at the beginning of the year so the rook could be eased into the action.

Rhodes isn't a Colt anymore.

Dillon was the main man in New England, but Maroney was always going to be the starter this year.

Dillon isn't a Patriot anymore.

Thomas Jones was the No.1 in Chicago, but Benson was drafted the year before and gradually seen more action through the year.

Jones isn't a Bear anymore.

The Giants had a nice combo with Tiki and the short yardage battering ram Brandon Jacobs.

Tiki is now retired and Droughns has been brought in as insurance only.

Unless you have alot of cap room its hard to imagine keeping two talented RB's on the roster for more than a single year - New Orleans have managed it, but only because Reggie Bush is so different in style to Deuce McAllister.

I fully expect Norwood to supplant Warrick Dunn at some point this year - thats if Petrino doesn't draft a RB high - either way I cannot see Dunn being there next year.

The only feasible way to bring in a high round RB is if you lack talent at that position or have an ageing starter - or at least thats how I see it.

I just get the impression that some Steeler fans can't see past the 'big-back' option because Bettis was such a success - the fuss made over 7th round draft pick (and big-back) Cedric Humes confirmed that to me.

Oh and you can't have Willis - I want him to become a Patriot
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Ok, I can agree that the Steelers will look at RB at some point - most teams take a punt on one at some stage of the draft.

But I don't agree that it is a draft priority and shouldn't be a 1st day pick.

From what I have seen from FWP and his rate of improvement, I think he can only get better at the other areas of his game - such as picking up the blitz.

I am not at all convinced that the 2-back system is really going to catch on in the NFL either, alot of the scenarios recently have involved a quality veteran, and then a young stud picked up in the draft to eventually replace him.

The only feasible way to bring in a high round RB is if you lack talent at that position or have an ageing starter - or at least thats how I see it.

I just get the impression that some Steeler fans can't see past the 'big-back' option because Bettis was such a success - the fuss made over 7th round draft pick (and big-back) Cedric Humes confirmed that to me.

Oh and you can't have Willis - I want him to become a Patriot
I agree with you 100%. Two starting quality backs will pretty much last only one season together until one wants to be the guy. But IMO we have a unique scenerio because the Rooneys took a chance on FWP and IMO he is a loyal, high character, team oriented guy. I also don't believe we will draft a back until the 3rd round, which will eliminate that power struggle between the two backs you see with the 1st round picks.

That being said, your right, the two back scenerio is a short lived situation. You really need the starter and a really good second teir guy that realizes his role. In N.E. you have a unique situation because you have Maroney now but Faulk has stuck around for some time (he accepts his role) and he could have tested the FA waters. I'm sure you would have loved to have Dillon back (for the Bettis type of role) but he is what he is, he wasn't the type to play second fiddle. Your fortunate in N.E. to have many players that are highly team oriented, and that is the type of players that can make the two back system work.

I think there are guys in the draft that will go day 1 and would play well alongside FWP. IMO Leonard, Hunt are team oriented guys and Bush with his injury might have to accept his lower stock and a lesser role.

Oh and it's funny you mentioned Willis. I was going to write the same exact thing. I'm sure you would love Willis in the middle especially with Thomas on the perimeter. I'm hoping that does'nt happen.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Are we sure we have the punt returner covered looks like this lost us 2 or more games last year???????

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #16
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

RB Darius Norwood would look great in a Steelers' uni I believe.. I think that the young man Willie Reid will be back strong this coming season and our PR job will be his and maybe the kicking return game as well
My boss was a Jewish Carpenter
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
Blitzburger
Water Boy

Member Number: 5280

We definitely need to look at a bigger, bruising kind of back some time in the middle rounds. This DOES NOT mean 2nd string RB, but a hybrid back -- third downs, shorty yeardage, FB (Kreider's getting old and worn down). I know Tomlin likes to run, and he likes a lead blocker, and we need a versatile guy who can do both.

Forget CB and WR -- our secondary is fine and our receiving corp is a perfect mix of young and old, speed and size. Santonio had control problems and definitely cost us some games, but he kept getting better AND got more confident in the return game. I'm not worried about him. What we need is depth at the O-line (or at least better production from our starters) and LBs.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Value may dictate that we take a back on the first day...OLB..CB...OT... and Punter are the only positions I would put over RB..and we can get a very good punter in the 5th round. If there is a run on CB's or OT's...I would grab Hunt or Leonard in the second or Wright in the 3rd before I reached for a CB or OT in those rounds....The way I look at it is...If we are up in the second..do I want Tony Hunt as a RB ... Tanard Jackson as a CB...or Ryan Harris as an OT?....I personally see very little difference between Tanard Jackson in the second or C.J. Gaddis in the fourth....or Ryan Harris in the second and Brandon Frye in the fourth....BUT the difference between Hunt and a fourth or fifth rounder is pretty significant.
According to football Outsider, statistcally, the most starters percentagewise who are picked 1st round and stick are at QB, RB & WR. So RB point is understood. However, LLT is Pooo Davenport no good? I am far more concerned (based on what I've learned) with deficiencies at O-line. Do you really think a 5th round O-lineman...Colon..etc., etc......Will compare to a 1st or 2nd round stud(s)? Remember, when O-line sucked in '03, THEE Jerome only averaged 2.9 yards per carry. So will a stud RB with a crappy line matter? Also, IMHO, we have alot invested in CB and I think Taylor although he was an embarassment last year, has the talent and will come around this year (God let's hope so!) Time will tell. I respect you LLT and am just asking humble questions. Thx.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
DACEB
Banned

I don't know what round, but we need to look at a RB in the draft. I don't believe the Steelers will take a RB before the 3rd round. IMO that's why they brought Pittman in for the interview. I think they would like Hunt but if he's not there in the 3rd maybe they look to Pittman.

Tony brought up a good point that we normally have four HB's on the roster. If you look at the roster even with the beloved Kuhn we only have three. Even with the talk about going with 4-WR sets, I believe we will still look to run the ball 55% to 60% of the time. With those percentages your looking at easily over 500 carries over the course of the season. You don't want to give FWP more than 320-350 carries for the year, because as Tomlin has hinted FWP will probably be getting touches out of the backfield as well. That leaves 200 or so carries for Davenport. Can he handle that? sure, but who is there to back-up in case of injury? Do you really want to see a backfield lineup of Davenport and Kuhn? And no I haven't forgotten about Haynes, but at this point we cannot count on him.

I would like to see Kuhn groomed to be a fullback. Krieder isn't getting any younger and what happens if he gets injured. Nevertheless we need another RB. Maybe the FO should think about Brian Leonard in the 2nd round. He played at fullback in college. He is not at a FB's weight now, but he is an intelligent, versitile player who could probably fill in at either position in a pinch.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
DACEB
Banned

I think we got a little off topic on this thread with the whole running back thing so I'd like to get back to the draft in general.

I'd like to list some players that IMO would be great additions to our team. I'm only listing the first three rounds. I'm also listing it without the thought of trading up or down, simply #15, #46 and #77. I'm listing more than one player per round. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. Now I know I'll probably hear that this guy or that guy won't be there, but we don't even know who will go #1. I'm taking into consideration value first, team need second and this is IMO.

First round #15;
Patrick Willis ILB, much needed youth and speed at the position and the draft is deep in DE/OLB
Adam Carriker DE, much needed youth and could help right away if Keisel moves to OLB
Levi Brown OT, could be an immediate upgrade at the position
Dwayne Bowe WR, good size and blocking ability and could help right away
Darrelle Revis CB, could be an upgrade or at least depth and replacement for Townsend

Second round #46;
Jarvis Moss DE/OLB or Lawrence Timmons OLB, it's possible either could fall and that would be great value
Anthony Spencer or Tim Crowder DE/OLB, more realistic in the second round
Brian Leonard RB, smart and versitile team player, played fullback in college also
Ryan Kalil C, could compete for center job and add flexability to O-line
Marcus McCauley CB, good size and would add depth in the secondary
Tony Ugoh OT, could compete and add depth to the O-line, could also help in future with cap space

Third round #77;
Tony Hunt RB, great value would add depth and a great compliment to FWP
Ikaika Alama Francis DE, great value big upside
Quinten Moses DE/OLB, you have to grab him if he's still on the board
Stewart Bradley OLB, good size great in coverage good value, would be great on special teams IMO
Samson Satele C or Josh Beekman OL, great value and depth to the O-line

I know that's alot of guys but who knows where the draft will go. There are rumors that there could be more trades than ever this year. Depending on who we pick first changes everything else.