Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,920 Times in 4,520 Posts
Default Re: STEELERS DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I think we got a little off topic on this thread with the whole running back thing so I'd like to get back to the draft in general.

I'd like to list some players that IMO would be great additions to our team. I'm only listing the first three rounds. I'm also listing it without the thought of trading up or down, simply #15, #46 and #77. I'm listing more than one player per round. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. Now I know I'll probably hear that this guy or that guy won't be there, but we don't even know who will go #1. I'm taking into consideration value first, team need second and this is IMO.

First round #15;
Patrick Willis ILB, much needed youth and speed at the position and the draft is deep in DE/OLB
Adam Carriker DE, much needed youth and could help right away if Keisel moves to OLB
Levi Brown OT, could be an immediate upgrade at the position
Dwayne Bowe WR, good size and blocking ability and could help right away
Darrelle Revis CB, could be an upgrade or at least depth and replacement for Townsend

Second round #46;
Jarvis Moss DE/OLB or Lawrence Timmons OLB, it's possible either could fall and that would be great value
Anthony Spencer or Tim Crowder DE/OLB, more realistic in the second round
Brian Leonard RB, smart and versitile team player, played fullback in college also
Ryan Kalil C, could compete for center job and add flexability to O-line
Marcus McCauley CB, good size and would add depth in the secondary
Tony Ugoh OT, could compete and add depth to the O-line, could also help in future with cap space

Third round #77;
Tony Hunt RB, great value would add depth and a great compliment to FWP
Ikaika Alama Francis DE, great value big upside
Quinten Moses DE/OLB, you have to grab him if he's still on the board
Stewart Bradley OLB, good size great in coverage good value, would be great on special teams IMO
Samson Satele C or Josh Beekman OL, great value and depth to the O-line

I know that's alot of guys but who knows where the draft will go. There are rumors that there could be more trades than ever this year. Depending on who we pick first changes everything else.
i like your list and we would be lucky to have those options fall in our lap. since we cant rely on luck i think we'd have to make some things happen and draft some of these players a round early.

i would love to see the giants do a reverse trade with us like last year to move up and take paul poz and us get their 1st and 2nd.

1st - timmons
2nd - spencer or crowder
2nd - grubbs or ugoh
3rd - bush leonard, or hunt
4th - best cb available
4th - best wr available
5th - best ol available
5th - punter
Old 04-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #22
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

Steelers should get Darelle Revis CB from Pitt in the first round. He would no doubt be an upgrade and he is a return threat. History shows that you can get a good OLB in the latter rounds just look at Thomas now on the Pats he was a second day draftee.
steelersfanman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfanman92 View Post
Steelers should get Darelle Revis CB from Pitt in the first round. He would no doubt be an upgrade and he is a return threat. History shows that you can get a good OLB in the latter rounds just look at Thomas now on the Pats he was a second day draftee.
Good point 92, In fact, here is a FO article from a year ago that shows that the percentage of starting OLB's by round drafted isn't much different from round 1 through 4.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/04/24/ramblings/nfl-draft/3828/[/URL]

if hyperlink doesn't work, try cutting & pasting to address bar.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #24
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i like your list and we would be lucky to have those options fall in our lap. since we cant rely on luck i think we'd have to make some things happen and draft some of these players a round early.

i would love to see the giants do a reverse trade with us like last year to move up and take paul poz and us get their 1st and 2nd.

1st - timmons
2nd - spencer or crowder
2nd - grubbs or ugoh
4th - best cb available
4th - best wr available
5th - best ol available
5th - punter
This looks good Tony, assuming trade. Another thing, notice people are interested in that I didn't think was as big a priority is your RB 3rd, apparently we need more depth and some think we need more quality. And how is Timmons size & speed for his position?
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #25
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Right on Tony, again I made the list without trades but that would be a sweet scenerio. A trade down would be huge IMO, there is alot of value in the 2nd and two picks would be great. As I had stated in the previos post I think we would be well served to grab any of those three RB in the 3rd.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
JuniorSteelerfan
Banned

Member Number: 5291

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Steelers won't get a back in the second. Maybe 4th-7th, if they even get a back.
I agree if the steelers were going to draft a "big back" why did they resign Davenport, and yes we need a replacement for Porter, but the offensive line is another big hole to fix to make sure we keep Ben safe in the pocket long enough to pass.
JuniorSteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #27
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:

1st - timmons
2nd - spencer or crowder
2nd - grubbs or ugoh
4th - best cb available
4th - best wr available
5th - best ol available
5th - punter
i like the list but i don't see grubbs or ugoh on the board that late in 2 since teams like the raiders and cardinals will probably be looking for linemen in 2. we may have to settle for sears,satele,or ramirez. i still think cb will be addressed before rb considering our pass D was a much bigger problem than the rushing O. unless they feel one of those 3 are just too much value to pass up. they could probably land someone like deshawn winn. in the fourth.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #28
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
According to football Outsider, statistcally, the most starters percentagewise who are picked 1st round and stick are at QB, RB & WR. So RB point is understood. However, LLT is Pooo Davenport no good? I am far more concerned (based on what I've learned) with deficiencies at O-line. Do you really think a 5th round O-lineman...Colon..etc., etc......Will compare to a 1st or 2nd round stud(s)? Remember, when O-line sucked in '03, THEE Jerome only averaged 2.9 yards per carry. So will a stud RB with a crappy line matter? Also, IMHO, we have alot invested in CB and I think Taylor although he was an embarassment last year, has the talent and will come around this year (God let's hope so!) Time will tell. I respect you LLT and am just asking humble questions. Thx.
Excellent post..and nice stats...!!!..I think Davenport is servicable not not the change of pace back that we need...and would like to see an upgrade of youth and talent at the position

What I think the Steelers will do and what I think they should do isnt the same.
We have the depth to grab the "best player available" in a lot of areas..instead of having to reach for players

My world #1...Brown if he is available...would be better than anyone else projected at the #15 slot...(very possible may be gone and we should consider trading down)
Steelers #1: Will probably go OLB..in the form of Moss or Timmons

My world #2: Would love to see either Quinton Moses (who I think will be a serious stud) or Tony Hunt based on value.
Steelers #2: May go RB with Hunt or CB with McCauley

My world #3: OLB Stewart Bradley if they go RB in Round #2...Or RB Wright if they go OLB
Steelers #3: May go Wright if they go with a CB in #2, if not, they may go with OT Martin

after three round..and with all the possibilities of several positions..it becomes very hard to make predictions on specific players...but I would like to see
4) Josh Gaddish S/CB 4b)Laurent Robinson WR
5) Enoca Lucas C 5b) Dan Saducci OG/C
6) Adam Podlesh P
7) Ryan McBean DE

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 04-10-2007 at 09:09 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #29
aussiesteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 5027

There has been some really good steeler mocks, but this is what i think we should do.

1st round
Patrick willis or moss. The both could play very well in our scheme now and in the future. moss is a bit of a risk as i don't know how good he is in coverage which is necessary for a 3-4 OLB but is a great pass rusher. willis is simply a beast

2nd round
CB McCauley or Spencer if we don't get a moss. You cant have enough depth in secondary, why not take a mccauley if he is the best player available. IMO the only real need is OLB. if we don't take moss, spencer can still be a valuable addition and add depth to our OLB

3rd round
Best Technician at tackle. I don't know because it is hard for me to see college ball but i think we need a tackle who has great feet and is able to stop the good pass rushers. Personally, i don't see what the hype is about Levi Brown. I know he will be gone by now but to me from the little i've seen of him, he isn't a great technician and hasn't got great feet.
aussiesteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #30
Stlr4Life
Water Boy

Member Number: 5307

I think we need a bigger back to compliment FWP. Look at last years SB teams. Both had 2 good RB's. The year before was the same with us in SBXL. I think N. Davenport is becoming our 3rd back. I think we take T. Hunt or M. Bush in the 3rd. I perfer Hunt if he's there. I think they also need a CB. There pass defense wasn't only bad because of the corner play it was because of the lack of pass rush. Which is why I think they will address these 3 positions with the first three picks.

First, I would like to say I would like to trade down to the 20's and take a pass rusher and pick up an additional pick. But if we can't do that I think with Tomlin not being afraid to take BPA & not drafting for need like the steelers in the past. Will look something like this.

1-(15). D. Revis-BPA & a need maybe not this high but no pass rusher's value is worthy of this pick.

2-(46). L. Woodley-Convert to OLB

3-(77). T. Hunt or M. Bush
Stlr4Life is offline   Reply With Quote