Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default International Spaceport in New Mexico

the tally of the votes is almost in to try and make this happen. its a 25 cent tax increase for every $100 spent.
51%-yes
48%-no

why do we even need a commercial spaceport?

ive never traveled to japan, but if we launch up into space and land in japan, the trip takes about 45 minutes.

why new mexico?

white sands missle range, and the fact that we lease our airspace out to the german air force shows that we have a valuable resource: clear airspace. one of our most valuable weapons in recent wars (stealth fighters) has been training, and stationed out here for years. new mexico is also an astronomers dream (discovery of pluto). i guess i could even site the roswell aliens, although ive been in the building that the weather balloon was launched from 100+ times.

http://www.space.com/news/061019_xpr...spaceport.html

im all for the commercial spaceport, only because i hope to take a flight into space one day. if it means a quarter on evey c- note i spend, then so be it. if i were 45 miles closer to dona ana county to vote, you can bet i would be at the polls (it seems they had a pretty miserable turnout)
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: International Spaceport in New Mexico

The world seems to be getting a little more wise to environmental issues in recent months - I wonder what volume of greenhouse gasses would be released into the atmosphere on a 45 min journey from New Mexico to Japan?

All the same its very exciting and 25 cents on every $100 hardly seems noticeable.

Will 51% be enough to get things rolling, or do they need a larger percentage?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Yeah and being out in the desert it could look like that space port off of star wars what was it called Moss Isley I am all for it.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
tony hipchest

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_5588220

it looks like the turnout of 18% of registered voters was much more than anticipated.

Quote:
Spaceport tax approval hinges on provisional ballots
By Diana M. Alba Sun-News reporter
Article Launched: 04/04/2007 01:00:00 AM MDT

Click photo to enlargeDoa Ana County Commissioner Oscar Vsquez-Butler and Dora... (Sun-News photo by Shari Vialpando)?12?LAS CRUCES — A Do?a Ana County spaceport election will be decided by 541 provisional ballots, which will begin being counted Thursday.

By 11 p.m., "yes" votes outnumbered "no" votes by 204. Ballots in favor of a tax totaled 8,781, or 50.6 percent, while those against accounted for 8,577, or 49.4 percent.

Votes from a polling place at an elementary school had yet to be included, along with the provisional ballots.

"This vote will be decided in the provisional ballots and the canvass that starts Thursday," said county elections supervisor Lynn Ellins.

Provisional votes are a type of ballot cast by voters if they show up at the polls but their names aren't on a voting roster. A canvassing board, which convenes Thursday and could last several days, must go through the provisional votes to determine whether they're valid.

Results will remain unofficial until certified by the county's canvassing board next week.

County residents were asked in Tuesday's election whether to approve a one-quarter of 1 percent sales tax to help build Spaceport America, near Upham in southern Sierra County. The charge would add 25 cents to a $100 purchase, starting Jan. 1.

Soon after the polls closed at 7 p.m., county officials released results from the monthlong early voting period, which ended Saturday.

Tax opponents had a marked advantage. At that time, some 2,247 votes — or 58.8 percent — were against a tax for the spaceport, said a county election official. Another 1,573 votes — or 41.2 percent, were in favor of the tax. Tax supporters gained ground, however, as additional precinct results began to pour in.

Spaceport proponents have said an approval from voters is critical to the $198 million project and a rejection would lead to the death of the project.

Election turnout was light overall, officials said. As of 9:45 p.m., ballots that had been tallied totaled nearly 16,000, about 17 percent of the 95,500 voters in the county. By comparison, turnout for a November 2006 general election was roughly 40 percent.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

On a side note, Spacely Sprockets has defeated Cogswell Cogs in a fierce bidding war for the contract to construct the new spaceport....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
The world seems to be getting a little more wise to environmental issues in recent months - I wonder what volume of greenhouse gasses would be released into the atmosphere on a 45 min journey from New Mexico to Japan?

All the same its very exciting and 25 cents on every $100 hardly seems noticeable.

Will 51% be enough to get things rolling, or do they need a larger percentage?
im no rocket scientist by any means but youre looking at greenhouse gasses being emitted through just 20 miles of atmosphere until you reach space as opposed to a plane spewing out its gasses through 3000 miles of atmosphere across the pacific. space travel may be the more enviornmentaly friendly form of travel. your not burning that precious middle eastern oil in space.

for those interested, heres the official website:

http://www.spaceportamerica.com/home.html

litp, im sure youre familiar with british billionaire sir richard branson. his headquarters for virgin galactic is here.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/htmlsite/overview.htm (this is a very compelling read)

Quote:
SEE THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT

Welcome to Virgin Galactic, the worlds first spaceline which offers an experience like no other. I can't wait to be on the inaugural spaceflight with my children, which will surely change our perspective and appreciation on our earth and our lives. I hope Virgin Galactic ignites your imagination as it has mine.
Best Wishes,

Richard Branson
Quote:
_WHERE WILL I FLY FROM?

Virgin Galactic?s space flights will initially operate from the Mojave Spaceport, a stunning location in the Californian desert which will afford spectacular views of the Pacific Coast. It is also the home of Burt Rutan?s Scaled Composites, the birth place of SpaceShipOne and where SpaceShipTwo is now being built. It will provide a fitting launch site for this amazing venture.

Virgin Galactic will then establish its headquarters and operate its space flights from the world?s first purpose built commercial spaceport, ?Spaceport America? in New Mexico. Funded by the New Mexico state government and now in course of design and construction, it will provide cutting edge facilities and a wonderful location for fledgling astronauts to realise their dreams. Virgin Galactic is also already looking seriously at other potential spaceport locations around the world, with a view to expanding the enterprise and making the wonder of space travel as accessible to as many people as possible.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,290 Posts

It may only take 45 minutes to get to japan but the delays will kill ya and try to find lost luggage....

I hope they get it passed, would be something cool to do in this lifetime.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

This is sweet, why would you not pass this?

Is there any word on the final count?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
tony hipchest

the provisional vote counting began today. with a 204 deficit and 541 provisional votes to count, its likely this is going to pass. but i will keep you updated.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I am very, very leery about private interests in space. I've seen ideas about giant billboards in orbit, dumping trash in space, but, most worrying is that privatization is always about commercial interest, and will in no way advance science.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote