Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default ESPN posts Faneca news

I stumbled upon some Steeler news on espn.com... It was on their Rumor Central page, but you need to have an insider subscription to view the details.

It had a picture of Big Al and the article was titled "Extended Stay?"

Not really sure what to make of this since I do not have an insider pass.

I thought I would throw this out there, as the Faneca topic has been a hot one for steeler fans on (and off) this wonderful site of ours here at the fever.

With the draft only a few weeks away, maybe some legit news concerning the rooneys plan for arguably our most productive football player....God I hope so...cause that would mean there is a chance we actually do something other than watch a guy walk and get nothing in return.

Newsflash for the rooneys.....YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THIS GUY AT LEAST 50 MILLION BUCKS....PERIOD....if you dont, for better or worse, someone else will.

If your not gonna pony up the dough...trade him now and get something in return
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Stillers43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2322
Default Re: ESPN posts Faneca news

Agreed! We need to decide right now to either pay him or trade him. If someone like Arizona offers their #1 and say #3 for Fanaca and our #1 or even Fanaca for a #2 straight up. I think we need to take it! Fanaca showed signs of starting to wear down last year. Let's get something for him.

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
Stillers43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

yea i agree except i wouldnt give up the two pick......we are hurting in the cap as it is now....fancea will be the defenition of a cap casualty but it seems it has to be done....i love the guy but if we need the money for troy than thats how we have to play it
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Honestly, I would hate to see him go. But, if we are getting something in return that is possibly better, then I would say go for it.

~Polamalufan43
Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I say trade him for a 1st round pick......straight up..........
Old 04-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

well seeing as though no one on here actually HAS espn insider, I'll try and correct this thread and head it in the right direction.

The ESPN insider "rumor central" tid-bit on faneca said nothing of a trade ... and nothing of being disgruntled (something that seems more and more fabricated right here on this board than anywhere else) ... all it talked about was a contract extension, actually. And that negotiations well.... actually you just read it:

Extended stay?
The Steelers have had contract talks with Faneca, but nothing is imminent, writes Pro Football Weekly. That said, a source close to the club believes there's still hope of getting a deal done at some point. Faneca, one of the top guards in the game, will be an unrestricted free agent after the '07 season.

The only thing that throws me off is "still hope of getting a deal done" ... "still hope" must infer that negotiations took place and didnt go very well. I think it's obvious that Faneca wants to stay a steeler, but I mean really ... dockery and whoever that other guy was that got 7 year 50 mil contract?? are you serious!?!? If I didn't get a deal atleast that then, well, Hasta manana steelers
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
and nothing of being disgruntled (something that seems more and more fabricated right here on this board than anywhere else)
That's not necessarily true. I'm not sure how often you bother listening to the Pittsburgh media but it's been stated by a few heads around here that Faneca is not happy with his contract situation.

As late as last night on Sports Beat, Stan Savern was interviewing Bouchette (if you don't like Bouchette, don't bother reading further, very simple) and he stated he talked with Faneca's agent. Faneca's agent told Ed that it's "nothing personal", but he will not talk about about Faneca "Now, tomorrow, or during the season" when dealing with his contract. His agent went on to say that the next time he will talk about Faneca is when "a person named Rooney" brings up his name.

So no, I do not agree with it being "fabricated here on this board". Faneca is not a happy camper at this point in time.

Also, for those interested, Ed has also been talking to Tomlin. Stan asked him how the situation will be between Tomlin and Colbert. Ed went on to say it will be "50/50", but Tomlin will not hesitate to push his point home. Ed stated that "unlike Cowher", Tomlin doesn't raise his voice in order to get his point across, but he will "wear you down" until you give in and accept his proposals. This part is taken out of quote, but he basically went on to say that Tomlin will not put up with any when dealing with the players. Straight shooter so to speak. Strict, tough, but fair.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
The only thing that throws me off is "still hope of getting a deal done" ... "still hope" must infer that negotiations took place and didnt go very well. I think it's obvious that Faneca wants to stay a steeler, but I mean really ... dockery and whoever that other guy was that got 7 year 50 mil contract?? are you serious!?!? If I didn't get a deal atleast that then, well, Hasta manana steelers
That's the point many of us here have been trying to make. Faneca is NOT going to get $50 mil (at least from the Steelers), so it's time to look at at least getting something for him via a trade.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Ben is the only guy they would pay 50 mil to.....I don't want to see Alan go either, but a 1 and a 3 sound pretty good.
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Faneca's agent told Ed that it's "nothing personal", but he will not talk about about Faneca "Now, tomorrow, or during the season" when dealing with his contract. His agent went on to say that the next time he will talk about Faneca is when "a person named Rooney" brings up his name.
That is the second time I have heard Faneca's agent refer to AJR II by last name only. It is a minor point (and AJR II apparently can forget hearing any of the "Mr. Rooney" greetings his Dad gets), but I regard the agent referring to AJR II by last name only as calling him out (remember Cowher going ballistic when Butch Davis referred to him by his last name only several years ago?)

I agree it is "nothing personal" but as far as the chances of a new Faneca/Steelers contract I would rate the odds as "nothing probable." I am drifting into the trade him for something camp.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote