Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default How many games will the Pirates win this year?

I know that I am gonna catch a lot of flack in this room because I am a Dodgers fan but the Pirates since the Barry Bonds days have had a place dear to my heart. They just get a little talent here and there and just cant pay the money to keep their players and it sucks...ooppppss! I think that MLB needs to have a strict Salary Cap like the NFL or atleast like somewhat of one like the NBA has. The days of the yankees and redsox etc. spending billions of $$$$ should come to an end or baseball will never compete with the NFL, of course I have never thought that the MLB was ever close anyway.
My question for you guys is....How many games will the Pirates win this coming '07 season?
Jesus Lives...
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: How many games will the Pirates win this year?

The players union won't allow the salary cap.What they don't realize is that if there is no cap (and if there is a cap they need a salary floor forcing owners such as the Nuttings to spend some money) then eventually baseball will die off like everyone thought the NHL was gonna do.

Pirates fans don't wanna watch the same-old teams compete for a World Series every year.We don't want to see the Yankees win any more championships...and we don't care if the Red Sox go 86 years without another World Series.

When Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez become free agents,there is no way we will be able to match the offers given to them by the Red Sox,Yankees,and Dodgers give to them.We will have to hope by that time the Pirates are competing for the division title or wild card and team loyalty to keep them.

Oh,and for how many games I think the Pirates will win this year...I won't give a number but I'd say they have a good chance to finish around the .500 mark for the first time in what seems like forever.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I say 85-90 and a Wild Card unless the division was as bad as it was last year, Division Champs.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Under .500.............................................. ....................................again.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

You really have to be an eternal optimist to predict anything other than another sub-.500 season. What exactly have the Pirates done to give ANYONE that kind of optimism? OK yeah, they brought in LaRoche. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. But...

-- They still have no reliable leadoff hitter. Chris Duffy will be out of the league in a year...again. I would seriously consider giving Andrew McCutcheon a real shot at the CF and leadoff job. What have they got to lose? The kid's clearly got talent out the wazoo.

-- 3/5 of their starting rotation is average AT BEST. Ian Snell and Zach Duke will be good. After that, feh. Maholm and Gorzelanny STILL haven't figured out how to get out of the first inning without giving up runs. Chacon is a stiff. Armas is only slightly better than Chacon. Not much confidence there.

-- Their bench is woefully weak. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to trade Rob Mackowiak after all, was it? I'd rather have him than Jose "K" Hernandez. Nate McLouth, Humberto Cota and Ryan Doumit strike fear into no one. Jose Bautista is probably the best of the bunch. They really could have benefited from another LH stick to platoon with Nady in right, but no...Littlefield has to make sure the NutJobs keep as much money as possible rather than improve the team, so forget that.

-- They have no true, reliable closer. With the way Salomon Torres is getting lit up this spring, there should be a major cause for concern. Somehow I think Dan Kolb will end up being the closer by season's end, and that doesn't make me comfortable either.

-- Clubhouse issues, particularly the relationship between Jack Wilson and Jose Castillo, could become a factor. While I do not disagree with Jack calling Castillo out, there have been rumors that they have not been getting along. That is not good. If your team is already weak, the absolute last thing you need is a fracture in the locker room. That could send the team into a tailspin that they may never get out of.

The bright spots are, of course:

-- Freddy Sanchez. Don't expect him to hit .344 again, but he'll be over .300 for sure.
-- Jason Bay. Will hit 40 2B, 35 HR and well over 100 RBI and around 100 runs scored. Again.
-- Adam LaRoche. Should hit over 30 HR and drive in around/over 100 runs, and if he really takes advantage of the short RF porch, could approach 40 HR.
-- Ronny Paulino. He's picking up right where he left off last season and is hitting over .350 this spring.
-- Ian Snell. Has been lights-out this spring and is, IMO, the ace of the staff.
-- Zach Duke. Should be and will be better than last season.
-- The bullpen. Other than Torres, this unit should be solid.

Overall, it still translates into no more than 76 wins for this team, IMO, and losing season no. 15 in a row.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

In a weak division, the Bucs are as good a bet as any to make a run at the division title.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The NL Central has gotten signifigantly weaker even with the def. World Series champs. The Bucs have a chance, But I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm sure they'll find a way to lose. If they finish above .500, I'll be right back here to eat heavy crow. I'm just tired of 14 years of crappy baseball, broken promises, and false dreams. Besides, Baseball has been reduced to Yankees vs. Red Sox being shoved in our faces, Steroid scandals, and the same 'ol teams winning every year.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I say 85-90 and a Wild Card unless the division was as bad as it was last year, Division Champs.
I love the positive attitude SCM. I really hope the Buccos win 85-90 games but I'm not counting on it. Don't get me wrong I think the Pirates have some young talent that really can develop and turn the Pirates into a solid ball club again. But I'm just not getting to excited yet. I would be happy with just a .500 season. But keep the positive attitude man. Its just after 15 lossing seasons has killed alot of my positive attitude with the Pirates.lol

I was 13 when the Pirates last won a division title and that happens to be the last time the Pirates finished above .500.lol Hell 1992 seems so long ago.lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I love the positive attitude SCM. I really hope the Buccos win 85-90 games but I'm not counting on it. Don't get me wrong I think the Pirates have some young talent that really can develop and turn the Pirates into a solid ball club again. But I'm just not getting to excited yet. I would be happy with just a .500 season. But keep the positive attitude man. Its just after 15 lossing seasons has killed alot of my positive attitude with the Pirates.lol

I was 13 when the Pirates last won a division title and that happens to be the last time the Pirates finished above .500.lol Hell 1992 seems so long ago.lol
Well if the Division is as bad as last year, just above .500 might win us division champs

St. Louis won the division with just 83-78 thats just a winning % of .516

Lets get 85 wins!