Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
I don't think Ward is a WR that can change a game or take a game over in the Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson mold.
Did you see the Pro-Bowl?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Iroman,
Props to you, It really takes some balls to stand up against your team and fellow fans , and tell us your personal thoughts.
I am not as optimistic as I was for the last six months. But we have a damn good offensive line, and a great defense.
I am troubled over Bens performance this preseason. But I know he can throw a football. I saw him throw the ball last season, and in training camp with accuracy. He has lacked accuracies so far in preseason. But we know he can be accurate. I beleive Ben has developed a confidense problem, temporarily. We need Ben to complete five or six straight short passes Thursday night. And get his confidence back.
Unfortunatley I understand where you are coming from with Hines Ward. Although he is great, and possibly irreplacable. He is not a big threat number one wr. I`m not so sure you really need to be a big deep threat to be a number one, but that does seem to be the standard around the NFL. He has great hands , good speed, and is second to none in blocking. He is a great team player. But he is more a pocession receiver most of the time. All our wr`s remind me of pocession receivers. But when your a run run team. Thats what you get. Ben needs somebody to spread out the defense.
Willie Parker is unproven, True. But who isn`t when they first start. Denver has proved over and over, it doesn`t matter who has the ball there, they all get a 1,000 yards. Our offensive line will do that to, they are plenty capable.

At see 11-5 a little struggle early on.
A win at home in the first round against the Colts.
A win on the road in San Diego.

Detroit Bound! We win Steelers 31 Philly 7. ring number five. TO sucks
Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

New here, but what the Hell? I'm gonna jump right in here...

Ben has been out of sorts, yes, but it's an anamoly. He's not going to suddenly just lose all the ability and talent that got him where he is now...remember, he didn't even PLAY football until his Sr. year in HS, so he's still going to be very coachable. Ben will be solid.

At RB, we only need Duce to stay healthy for half a season so that Bettis/Parker don't have to do more than should be expected of them. Duce was not a good pick-up, and it's no surprise that the Eagles let him go. He cannot stay healthy...however, when he IS healthy, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. He's the 2nd best receiver on the team and is probably the best blocking RB in the league.

As for Ward, I'm not worried. He may or may not be a game breaker, but I see a NE team that has a bunch of 5'10" guys running around making plays and winning Super Bowl's...I'd rather have Ward then any 2 of New England's receivers.

The D and special teams will be solid, and the fact that we have a bunch of hungry CB's is going to make the D better, not worse. Williams and Townsend know they are being pushed, so it should make them play better. It's also the 2nd year under LeBeau's system. Returning both OC and DC is HUGE!

My biggest concern has been, and will continue to be the right side of the OL and OL depth. Starks has turned out nicely (He was the biggest ? of the whole offense IMO), but we are depending on some pretty young guys for depth. We need to keep this unit healthy.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
Ben has been out of sorts, yes, but it's an anamoly. He's not going to suddenly just lose all the ability and talent that got him where he is now...remember, he didn't even PLAY football until his Sr. year in HS, so he's still going to be very coachable. Ben will be solid.
Typo???.... I think you meant he didn't play Quaterback until his senior year. He played football most of his life, and before his senior year he played WR and was the back-up QB behind the coaches son.;)
Old 08-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W
Typo???.... I think you meant he didn't play Quaterback until his senior year. He played football most of his life, and before his senior year he played WR and was the back-up QB behind the coaches son.;)
Yeah...that's what I meant. Actually, I was thinking about his baseball and basketball prowress...still, to never play QB and come in for just his Sr. year and pass for 4100 yards, throw 54 TD's and run for 7 more? C'mon! This kid is a winner...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W
Did you see the Pro-Bowl?

Everybody's entitled to their view, but I'm not sure the Pro Bowl is the proper stage to make your legacy as a player. That's like saying the NBA All-Star game is all about defense and if you put up 50 points in that game, you're a Hall of Famer.

Hey, I expected some backlash. All my comments were made out of concern... I'm not an instigator and as I said... I bleed Black and Gold. Good to see the faithful rally behind the troops. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Props to everyone for letting me speak my mind.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #17
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
Everybody's entitled to their view, but I'm not sure the Pro Bowl is the proper stage to make your legacy as a player. That's like saying the NBA All-Star game is all about defense and if you put up 50 points in that game, you're a Hall of Famer.

Hey, I expected some backlash. All my comments were made out of concern... I'm not an instigator and as I said... I bleed Black and Gold. Good to see the faithful rally behind the troops. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Props to everyone for letting me speak my mind.
Ironman Like I said before, I did agree with alot you said. You always seem to have good takes. Go Steelers
Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #18
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Ironman is a good guy.. He sees things how he sees them and thats ok. We dont all have to agree with all of it, but maybe we agree w/ some of it, or none of it.

But you make some good observations here, and I can respect that.

I could write a huge long reply to this and maybe I will tonite after I eat dinner :D but suffice it to say, nobody ever saw us going 15-1 last year..and many still say we won't do better than 8-8 if that.

I say, down w/ the preseason, bring on the regular season, we've got good depth, they stepped up last year, they can do it this year if need be ! And what better guy to start that off than Willie !

Dont misunderstand that last statment, I want jerome and duce back more than ever but if we are to make a run to the SB, we'll need all 53 guys !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote