Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
JuniorSteelerfan
Banned

Member Number: 5291
Default Playoff's

Just wondering how far everyone thinks the Pen's will go in the playoffs i believe they are a great team with alot of young talent but i don't really know about the playoffs this year, but atleast they will be in Pittsburgh next year.
JuniorSteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Playoff's

Stanley Cup Champs. Enough Said.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
blitzburghXL
Water Boy

Member Number: 1567

I h-o-p-e they get the Stanley Cup this year. I'm sorta gettin the same feeling i got at the beginning of the 2005 NFL playoffs, and the Steelers won there. Go Pens!
blitzburghXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Oh well, we didn't clinch home ice or the division. All that matters is that we are in the playoffs. I still can't believe I'm saying that about this very young hockey team. Who would have guessed it? lol. Personally, I knew they were going to be a better hockey team than last season. I also felt in the back of my mind that they had a shot at the playoffs. But the fashion in which we made the playoffs was never a thought that crossed my mind. If Ottawa takes us out in the first round this team has NOTHING to be ashamed of. We are going to be a force in our division and in the Eastern conference for many, many, many years to come.

Anyways, we have Ottawa up first. We have beat them three times this year and they have beat up once. Ottawa also has a history of bombing come playoff time and so does Bryan Murray. It all comes to solid goaltending and solid special teams come playoff time. We do well in those two departments and we will take Ottawa out in six games.

Also, congratulations to Sidney Crosby on becoming the youngest player ever to win the Art Ross Trophy. A well deserved and hard earned honor. What that kid does on the ice is nothing short of amazing. And after hearing he has a legitimate chance of receiving the award his response is in typical Sidney Crosby fashion......

"It would mean a lot, but that's not why you play," Crosby said yesterday morning of the possibility of winning the scoring title and the league MVP award. "You don't play for those things. You play to win championships. Honestly, I think that's always on my mind, just winning hockey games. If those accolades and accomplishments come with it, then it's an accomplishment. But those are just direct reflections of how you do and how your team does."

Spoken like a true professional. The beautiful part, he's only nineteen and hasn't even peaked. He's only going to get better. A good number felt this season would resemble last season. It has not. A good number felt they would crumble during the month of March. They did not. For me, it's hard to say how far they will go. I can't say they will win the cup nor can I say they are going to get booted in the first round. I can state that if they play the way they are capable of playing I see no reason why they can't represent the East in the Stanley Cup finals.

It depends on which Marc-Andre Fleury shows up and our ST's. If anything, I'm more concerned about which Fleury shows up. Is it the Fleury who gives up rebounds in the slot (Prucha goal last game), who also has the tendency of letting the 40 foot unscreened wrister in or will it be the Fleury who controls his rebounds, makes the big saves when called upon and doesn't let that cheap goal in which can deflate your whole team. Big question mark for a team heading into the playoffs.

I really can't say because it remains to be seen. I can't read the future. If I could I would be living in Vegas.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-08-2007 at 11:20 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I think they have a chance at the cup, and it's about time.

~Polamalufan43
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Considering that basically no one felt this team would get to where they are now this season, I'd have to say anything is possible at this point. This is a very energetic, motivated and talented group of young men with a couple of proven vets who have been there, done that. Mix in the respect and belief these guys have in each other, as well as a no-nonsense coach who also believes in them. I never doubted this team the entire season and I'm not about to start now. Obviously Fleury's play is going to be a key factor and I agree with 83's post above - a lot is going to depend on which MAF we see. I believe the series against the Sens is going to be brutal from a physical standpoint and our guys are going to have to put on their "armor", but at the same time, avoid taking stupid penalties.

All in all, just as with the 2005 Steelers - I believe! With that said, however, IF the Pens don't go far in the playoffs this season, I'll still be beaming with pride over what this team has accomplished this season. We Pens fans certainly can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to be a force to be reckoned with for many years to come!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

I'm hoping for 2 more months of Penguins hockey!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I think they'll beat the Sens in a series that's going to build some good postseason experience for the team. I don't know beyond that.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburghXL View Post
I'm sorta gettin the same feeling i got at the beginning of the 2005 NFL playoffs, and the Steelers won there. Go Pens!
I am too. Its kinda the same situation. Itsn't it? First series is with the team that edged us out in a tie-breaker, Second series would (probably) be against the undiputed number 1 seed whom we have no business beating...hmmmmm.

I keep hearing from reporters that this team has tons of confidence and isn't afraid of anything. I think that bodes well for them. I have confidence watching them. Even if they're down, I know they're never out.

I think the Pens are in the Ottawa goaltender's head a little bit and that is great. I have no doubt Fleury is gonna be just fine. His confidence level is way up too.

I have a good feeling about the Ottawa series. Beyond that I will make "no bold predictions"
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ott&id=2830180

First-round breakdown: Senators vs. Penguins

All eyes will be on Sidney Crosby and his band of young guns in their first NHL playoff competition. The Penguins matured well ahead of schedule and blazed a path to the playoffs behind Crosby, who won his first NHL scoring title, rookie of the year shoo-in Evgeni Malkin (85 points, nine more than Colorado's Paul Stastny) and Jordan Staal, who could earn a spot on the rookie ballot with his 29-goal performance and emergence as a top-notch penalty killer.

The Penguins face a Senators team long on playoff disappointment but equally long on experience and motivation. Ray Emery has made Ottawa fans forget Dominik Hasek and Patrick Lalime, and Dany Heatley has emerged as a mature, two-way player who can score like crazy. This series boasts a plethora of story lines and should provide some memorable moments.

1. The Senators' mojo. Or lack thereof. A year ago, the conference's top team sailed through the first round, waxing Tampa in five games. It then blew a tire against a faster, more focused Buffalo team and was dispatched in five in the second round. The theory is this is a psychologically fragile Senators team that has a tendency to cave when the going gets tough. Until the Sens prove otherwise, that is their legacy.

2. The Gary Roberts factor. When the Penguins acquired the rugged veteran at the trade deadline, the expectation was Roberts would provide the kind of dressing room presence that would offset the Penguins' stunning lack of experience. Roberts has a Stanley Cup ring and an impressive leadership r?sum? backing up those expectations. That's why the Senators and Maple Leafs tried desperately to get him at the deadline, too. If Roberts can cause havoc up front with his rambunctious play (and how many 40-year-olds get to be called rambunctious?) and keep panic from seeping into the dressing room when things get tough, he'll have more than earned his keep and the Penguins will be difficult to deal with.

3. What about Wade Redden? The Senators made a kind of catch-22 decision in the offseason, signing blue-chip defender Redden over Zdeno Chara, who signed an enormous deal with Boston. It made eminent sense. But Redden has been hampered all season by groin problems that have limited him to just 64 games. His 36 points are his lowest total since 2001-02, when he had 34. Redden still leads the team in average ice time per night, and his strength is being a puck-moving defenseman who can jump into the play offensively as well as help control the back end of the power play. If he can't do that effectively, the Senators will be missing a valuable piece to the puzzle.

4. The Penguins' blue line. At least one Eastern Conference scout said he simply doesn't think a blue line that includes unproven players such as Rob Scuderi, Alain Nasreddine and Josef Melichar can go far in the playoffs. Many thought that of the Carolina Hurricanes' defense a season ago, too, but we digress. Still, the point is a valid one. The Penguins give up a lot of chances and are especially susceptible to a strong forecheck. The Senators, second among all playoff teams in goals scored, have enough fire power to make the Pens pay dearly for mistakes.

5. The Crosby factor. Oh, yeah, him. The Senators, as most teams do, will try to make life difficult for Crosby physically, and they'll try to reduce the time and space he has in the neutral zone, which is where the team's offensive jump is generated. Watch for the rest of the Penguins' offensive crew to take cues from Crosby. If he has early success, the team's confidence will grow exponentially and the Pens will be tough to stop.

? Marc-Andre Fleury vs. Ray Emery. We know, we know, goalies don't really play against each other, at least that's what the goalies will tell you. But that's a lot of bumph. Last season, Emery was thrust into the starter's role for the Sens after Hasek couldn't answer the bell. He was mostly terrific, although his lamentable performance in Game 1 of the second round seemed, somehow, to shake the Senators to the core. The 24-year-old has been stellar all season, establishing himself as the clear No. 1 guy in Ottawa and more than earning the confidence of his teammates.

Meanwhile, Fleury, 22, finally has started to show the stuff that made him the first overall pick in the 2003 draft. His 40 wins were third-most among all NHL netminders. He is acrobatic and has quick reflexes. Now, he has to prove he has the head to win in the playoffs. If Fleury falters, the Pens will turn to Jocelyn Thibault, who had a surprising second half as Fleury's backup (Thibault allowed more than three goals just once in his last 10 appearances).

? Penguins: Crosby has 12 points in the past seven games. Veteran forward Mark Recchi scored in two of the last three games but had gone 20 before that without a marker.

? Senators: Heatley, who topped the 100-point mark for the second straight season, has become a more complete player this campaign, spending significantly more time on the penalty kill and in crucial game situations. Defenseman Andrej Meszaros is a team-worst minus-15 and was a plus in just two of the past 10 games. He was plus-34 a season ago.

It might not be what the big brains at the NHL would like to see, but the Senators' experience and talented back end prove the difference in a surprisingly short series.

Ottawa in five.

Scott Burnside is the NHL writer for ESPN.com.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote