Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Question Plasma, LCD, DLP?

I was talking to my Mom yesterday about a gift for my 21st birthday. She has put some money aside already, but wanted an idea of what I wanted. I was going to get a GPS system for my car, but decided I should get something else. While we were at Circuit City I decided I wanted a HDTV. Now I would be putting some of my savings in as well to purchase this TV. My problem is I know I want a HDTV, but what is the difference between Plasma, LCD, and DLP? I would be buying either a 46 inch TV or a 50 inch TV. Flat panel so I can hang it on the wall. Anyone have any knowledge about this stuff? What TV's do you guys have and how do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks guys

*Note* Someone I know from a PS3 site is suggesting rear projection Sxrd TVs. Anyone have one of those?
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts
Default Re: Plasma, LCD, DLP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo View Post
I was talking to my Mom yesterday about a gift for my 21st birthday. She has put some money aside already, but wanted an idea of what I wanted. I was going to get a GPS system for my car, but decided I should get something else. While we were at Circuit City I decided I wanted a HDTV. Now I would be putting some of my savings in as well to purchase this TV. My problem is I know I want a HDTV, but what is the difference between Plasma, LCD, and DLP? I would be buying either a 46 inch TV or a 50 inch TV. Flat panel so I can hang it on the wall. Anyone have any knowledge about this stuff? What TV's do you guys have and how do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks guys

*Note* Someone I know from a PS3 site is suggesting rear projection Sxrd TVs. Anyone have one of those?
Plasma all the way if you want the best picture quality. The best bang for your buck would be a Panasonic. I got a 50" TH-50PX60U Panasonic about six months ago and love it. And the firmware is easily upgraded with the SD slot on the front. With the new generation of plasmas you don't need to worry to much about burn in unless your a moron and leave your x-box paused for 12 hours. I play mine for hours on end and have had no probs at all with image retention, just dont leave it paused on the screen for hours.

LCD's are good but the picture on fast moving scenes can get a little blurry, such as watching a horse race the legs are moving so fast and the scan cant keep up and you get a grainy blur. Also some people see a rainbow effect on the screen, doesn't affect everybody but some people are sensitive to it and see it better then others.

Rear projections you cant hang on a wall.

Heres a link to a forum that you can do some homework on, lots of good info and help you make an informed decision.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 04-10-2007 at 12:58 PM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Sorry should have specified lol. I would have to buy a stand for the rear projection tv which would make space tight in my room. Is your Panasonic silver? Because if so I saw one of those a few nights ago and it was bad ass!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts

Yes its silver with black around the screen, kinda frames it in. I also have mine hung on the wall.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
steelegg
Water Boy

Member Number: 4159

I have a DLP and it works quite well, from what I understand if you play games, and I do, plasma is really bad as you can burn an image in the screen if you let it go by accident. DLP is also better for heavy action (football) i think
steelegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

That's the one I saw the other night. It has an awesome picture!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Countblaa
Water Boy

Member Number: 2619

I have a Pioneer Elite 42" Plasma. I could not be happier. I play 360 on it all the time, no problems at all. The Steelers look great in HD.
Countblaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Any screen burn Count? The only real reason I have heard to stay away from Plasma is screen burn. Although I have heard they have up'ed the technology to prevent it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I'd say if you want really good quality, go with plasma, but it isn't really cheap.
If your on a budget, then LCD.

~Polamlaufan43
Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I say go with the Plasma, Steph. As PF said, they aren't cheap, but the picture and sound qualities are better than the LCD, imho. What a great birthday gift - good luck in finding exactly what you want!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote