Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #21
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545
Default Re: Plasma, LCD, DLP?

The only knock I've heard against plasma TVs is that they are extremely expensive to repair.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #22
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,252 Times in 2,298 Posts

DLP's aren't cheap to fix either. My friend has one and one of the bulbs or lights went out and $600 later.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
Maidenarcher
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelegg View Post
I have a DLP and it works quite well, from what I understand if you play games, and I do, plasma is really bad as you can burn an image in the screen if you let it go by accident. DLP is also better for heavy action (football) i think
I definitely agree with you on this......I like DLP in the Samsung the best......
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #24
Maidenarcher
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbackr4life View Post
I prefer the Panasonic Plasma I have one in my family room that is a little over a year old. All of the early problems such as burnout issues have been ironed out. The quality of the pic is spectacular. I have it on the wall directly in front of a picture window and even when the sun is directly behind it there is no loss in picture quality at all. My neighbor has an LG lcd same size 42 " and there is a noticeable differnce in quality. The only other difference is he has the local cable HD (comcast) and I have Satelite.
I would think the difference is definitely because he bought the LG....Not a company I would touch for anything. Not even a cell phone.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenarcher View Post
I would think the difference is definitely because he bought the LG....Not a company I would touch for anything. Not even a cell phone.
You may be right my parents have the exact same Panasonic Plasma model as me only 60" and Cable as opposed to Satelite. While the picture there isnt as sharp as mine on some stations it is vastly better than that of my neighbors.

The only other difference that I forgot about in my earlier post that could contribute to my neighbors inferior picture (besides LG not being great) is I know he didnt use high end connections for his video feeds he just slapped it together. Im pretty sure he is using the same old coax connections that have been there for years.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #26
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I bought a Toshiba LCD in December and I am pleased with it. I went in thinking that I'd go for a Sony or Samsung. I liked the picture on the Toshiba better. I don't usually buy an extended warrenty on anything however I was advised to do that for a tv purchase, and did.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #27
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

LCD is the way to go... My dad bought a plasma and like a year later it burned out.

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #28
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

For every bad story with plasma Im sure you could you could find one for LCD.
....It really comes down to what you prefer and what goes well in the room you are putting it in. You can have 2 different people look at the same picture on the same screen and see two completely different things. The same can be said for sound systems. You and I could both like a song but it may sound like crap to you and good to me, depending on what the sound is coming out of. Bottom line once you determine room size and television, speaker placement. You have to decide on what looks and sounds good to you. After all you are the one spending the cash and you will be the one mostly enjoying your home theatre.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #29
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I am going to Circuit City on Saturday. I guess it comes to liking the picture as well. Guess I'll get an idea of what I want.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

I went with a Sony 55" SXRD rear projection set last summer because a 50" was too small for my room (couches sit back 8 to 12 feet from screen) and I did not feel like taking out a second mortgage for a +50" plasma. Rear projection is a dying technology as the cost/size advantage over plasma/LCD decreases and you get hit with replacing a $250 bulb every 2 yeras or so. But I wanted a big set for Sunday Ticket viewing and am very pleased with my purchase and teh picture quality off DirectV.

The rap on plasma is the glare off the screen if you are in a well lit room but the latest Panasonic plasmas supposedly have a reduced glare screen.

LCD has been limited in size but they are getting bigger (up to 52" now) - the tech who calibrated my set says LCD is the wave of the future. My parents purchased a Samsung 46" LCD recently and the picture (Time-Warner cable) looked great to me.

If you want to link to a great site on HDTV, I have provided the link to a good CNet HDTV site

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=ms

As floodcitygirlsays, buy the extended warranty - I bought my HDTV at BrandSmart and the warranty through Sony and got a better deal than what the store offered for its extended warranty.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote