Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #41
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Plasma, LCD, DLP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
Nope depends on size and brand.

If you want the most expensive kind check out LED tv's.
Oops, completely forgot about that, lol. Stupid mind....

~Polamalufan43
Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #42
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

I performed 8 months of research before I made my purchase. My requirements were the best black, a black border, a thin screen for wall mount, and 1080 res. I already have complete built-in surround speakers & components so the sound was not as important. I neede at least a 46" - 52" screen for the size of my family room, with at least 13 feet from the screen for viewing. One couch is also at quite the angle from the screen, so I did not want any picture blur or loss from any angle. Clarity of picture was the most important, while watching the Steelers!

After viewing every brand on earth, Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Toshiba etc. etc. I quickly narrowed the finalists. (All pictures were broadcast and compared at both 1080 and 720 for best quality of color and during movement. I actually had each & every store change the channel to football broadcast in HD, so my time was short and had to be done on certain days/nights) I also checked out as many forums as possible to inquire about warranty claims, service time, set-up, and user satisfaction.

It came down to Sony and Samsung. It had to be LCD because of picture quality. The blacks were so much better than plasma or dlp. The latest LCD's were having no issue with movement, especially at 1080. (Discovery channel HD morning shows a sunrise with natural sounds that is about 15 minutes long. That is an awesome show!) Samsung makes Sony, so that narrowed the manufacturer to Samsung. The LNS-5296D is the best! Once I decided on the brand and size, I took my wife down to the two stores that carried both the Sony & Samsung for her to view. She loved the Samsung. The gloss black border made the difference. The viewing screen seems to blend into the black border, which made for a smooth viewing transition. The 52" Samsung was the choice!

I then went on-line to research pricing. The local stores wanted $4999. That was outrageous, I thought! Did I want to spend that much? No! I logged into the Nextag site and punched in my Samsung. They came up with 15 different stores and pricing! Each store has a rating, and customer satisfaction testimonials. Some offerred free freight, and no tax, for out of state purchases. I ended up calling three stores, just so I could get a good sense of who I'm dealing with. One store, in Boston, tried to switch me to another brand. (Damn Pat's fan) Another said it was out of stock, then offered another brand. He was a Jets fan. I then called the right store and they had 4 in stock. My price was $3495, no tax, no freight charges to California from New York. I bought it!

The LCD arrived a week later, boxed extremely well by the manufacturer, in perfect condition. The packing foam was placed so well that you could drop that box without any damage.

I also purchased a dual cantilever mount, so I could raise, lower, tilt, and shift my screen side to side. The mount attaches inside of a niche, so the screen is flush with the wall. Since the LCD is only 4.4 inches thick, it was a perfect fit on the wall. I also have Directv, so for years I've been able to watch all Steeler games in California.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I did some homework.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #43
Maidenarcher
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerstrength View Post
I performed 8 months of research before I made my purchase. My requirements were the best black, a black border, a thin screen for wall mount, and 1080 res. I already have complete built-in surround speakers & components so the sound was not as important. I neede at least a 46" - 52" screen for the size of my family room, with at least 13 feet from the screen for viewing. One couch is also at quite the angle from the screen, so I did not want any picture blur or loss from any angle. Clarity of picture was the most important, while watching the Steelers!

After viewing every brand on earth, Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Toshiba etc. etc. I quickly narrowed the finalists. (All pictures were broadcast and compared at both 1080 and 720 for best quality of color and during movement. I actually had each & every store change the channel to football broadcast in HD, so my time was short and had to be done on certain days/nights) I also checked out as many forums as possible to inquire about warranty claims, service time, set-up, and user satisfaction.

It came down to Sony and Samsung. It had to be LCD because of picture quality. The blacks were so much better than plasma or dlp. The latest LCD's were having no issue with movement, especially at 1080. (Discovery channel HD morning shows a sunrise with natural sounds that is about 15 minutes long. That is an awesome show!) Samsung makes Sony, so that narrowed the manufacturer to Samsung. The LNS-5296D is the best! Once I decided on the brand and size, I took my wife down to the two stores that carried both the Sony & Samsung for her to view. She loved the Samsung. The gloss black border made the difference. The viewing screen seems to blend into the black border, which made for a smooth viewing transition. The 52" Samsung was the choice!

I then went on-line to research pricing. The local stores wanted $4999. That was outrageous, I thought! Did I want to spend that much? No! I logged into the Nextag site and punched in my Samsung. They came up with 15 different stores and pricing! Each store has a rating, and customer satisfaction testimonials. Some offerred free freight, and no tax, for out of state purchases. I ended up calling three stores, just so I could get a good sense of who I'm dealing with. One store, in Boston, tried to switch me to another brand. (Damn Pat's fan) Another said it was out of stock, then offered another brand. He was a Jets fan. I then called the right store and they had 4 in stock. My price was $3495, no tax, no freight charges to California from New York. I bought it!

The LCD arrived a week later, boxed extremely well by the manufacturer, in perfect condition. The packing foam was placed so well that you could drop that box without any damage.

I also purchased a dual cantilever mount, so I could raise, lower, tilt, and shift my screen side to side. The mount attaches inside of a niche, so the screen is flush with the wall. Since the LCD is only 4.4 inches thick, it was a perfect fit on the wall. I also have Directv, so for years I've been able to watch all Steeler games in California.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I did some homework.

Good decision....Samsung 1080 is the way to go.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #44
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I went to Circuit City yesterday and I think I found the TV I will probably buy. It's 40inch and 1080p.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/L...T4061FXXAA.asp
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #45
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Whoa.......

*staring in awe*

Whoa.....

~Polamalufan43

P.S. Nice screen my friend
Old 04-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #46
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Looks sweet Pros ! Keep me up to date on how you like it. We are going to be redoing our kitchen and Master bedroom this year and both designs call for flat screens. Im 99% sure Im going with a drop down lcd for the kitchen and if the LCD stays alot cheaper I am going to go with that for the Master Bedroom.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #47
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Looks sweet Pros ! Keep me up to date on how you like it. We are going to be redoing our kitchen and Master bedroom this year and both designs call for flat screens. Im 99% sure Im going with a drop down lcd for the kitchen and if the LCD stays alot cheaper then the plasmas I am going to go with that for the Master Bedroom.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #48
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Will do. I can't wait to get it.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #49
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter