Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Linebackers in the draft?

As thin and old as we were at LB's last year...can anyone else envision us taking maybe two OLB and an ILB in this draft?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Blitzburger
Water Boy

Member Number: 5280
Default Re: Linebackers in the draft?

Three LB's may be abit much, but definitely one of each (outside and inside). I'm fairly confident in Harrison to step in for Porter, so all we need is a backup for now on the outside (who can get more minutes as the season goes). But depth up the middle is really what we need in the draft, and can see us trading down to get more middle-round picks to load up on LB's, O-Lineman, and a fullback (Brian Leonard!)
Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Yeh.. I also think that the Steelers could take 2 or maybe 3 would not suprise me. Farrior is not gettin' any younger and we could or should have a replacement ready for him in the next 2 years atleast.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

between a DE convert and a true olb and ilb, i can see it assuming the players are the best on the board. the last thing i think tomlin needs as a new coach is to be accused of reaching in the draft to force a system switch. i think colbert will have alot of pull in this years draft (with cap future cap implications in mind) and maybe next year, tomlin is given more reigns to impliment a change.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I can see us taking an OLB this year, and matbe an ILB next year. It would be great if we got both, but I don't see it happening.

~Polamalufan43
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
As thin and old as we were at LB's last year...can anyone else envision us taking maybe two OLB and an ILB in this draft?
I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers drafted three LB's in this draft. Looking at the the Steelers current LB core and I don't see the play makers in that group that the 3-4 defense need for the defense to be 100 percent effective. Especially at the OLB spots. I think James Harrison could be a Lloyd/Porter type but then again he has never started a full season. Thats a big question mark to me. As for Haggans the guy is solid and thats it. But solid doesn't cut for a 3-4 OLB. In the 3-4 the OLBs need to dominate. As for the depth behind Harrison/Haggans? There isn't much there. The other Harrison and Church.lol Drafting one or two OLB is must in this draft bigtime.

Looking at the ILB spots. I still think James Farrior is still very good but he could start to slow down at anytime as he is 33 or around there. As for Larry Foote, I'm a fan of Footes but then again I would like to see more game changing plays from him. I wouldn't mad at all if the Steelers drafted an ILB. As again there isn't much depth behind these two. Only Rian Wallace who hasn't played much in two years and Kreiwaldt who is just a special teamer.

So the message this draft should be LB's are needed.lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

How about OLB Quinton Moses in the second...OLB Stewart Bradley in the Third...and with one of out fourth round picks we take ILB Justin Durant from Hampton?....any thoughts?...
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

What happen to the talk of moveing Keisal out, or did I dream this up

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
How about OLB Quinton Moses in the second...OLB Stewart Bradley in the Third...and with one of out fourth round picks we take ILB Justin Durant from Hampton?....any thoughts?...
I'm starting to wonder about your love for Moses LLT

Just kidding, you have to wonder why Moses has dropped off the radar so to speak. Whether we take him or not I'm curious to see what number he's drafted at and how he makes out in the pros, simply because he was so highly touted and now has dropped off. Maybe his dropping down on the charts plays out well for us!

You and I have mentioned Bradley numerous times. I have read scouting reports that say he's hands down the best cover LB in the draft, even without the stellar speed to show for it. I guess you could question his past injuries, but hell anybody that plays rugby is tough as nails in my book. I think even if he does'nt get on the field as a starter this year he would be a great addition to special teams.

As far as how many LB's we draft, maybe it's just because I love and want to stay with the 3-4, I would hope to see at least two drafted. I would like to see an ILB and an OLB for the 3-4 whether it's an OLB or DE/OLB.

And by the way, I'm not LOL at M. Church, I hope the kid is a baller and is able to come back from his injury and play at a high level for us. I also have high hopes for Wallace, the guy has the physical tools now let's see what he can do.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
What happen to the talk of moveing Keisal out, or did I dream this up
I for one am a fan of the move. I would like to see Keisel lose some weight and move outside. I believe he knows the schemes and is athletic enough to pull it off. That being said I guess we'll all find out soon enough whether or not it happens.

You would think that the extra mini camp before the draft will be a big help for Tomlin and the FO in determining which direction we go in the draft and beyond.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote