Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Help Center > Feedback & Support


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Borski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Steelers Country, FL
Posts: 1,947
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ever thought about chat?

I was wondering if there ever was a thought about adding a chat system to the site, I think it would be pretty cool to have a live chat for things like gameday chat or other stuff
__________________
Free Rice - Have fun and help out.
Borski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,418
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 795 Times in 307 Posts
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Looks like it has already been discussed at length and probably isn't going to happen:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14892

EDIT: Oh, well - never mind.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
SteelersFever
Founder
 
SteelersFever's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,038
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1
Thanks: 12
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Beginning of May. Don't tell anyone I told you!
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

But how will I get my post log up to rival Tony???
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

It isn't my call to make, obviously, but I still think it's a bad idea. The fastest and easiest way to create unnecessary problems, infighting and cliques is to start a chat room. Just about every one I have ever seen has been one giant clusterfrick, causing more headaches than it's worth. Why take the risk? Yeah, yeah, I know - "don't go in if you don't like it"...but I shoot from the hip, and wanted to state my opinion on the matter.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
It isn't my call to make, obviously, but I still think it's a bad idea. The fastest and easiest way to create unnecessary problems, infighting and cliques is to start a chat room. Just about every one I have ever seen has been one giant clusterfrick, causing more headaches than it's worth. Why take the risk? Yeah, yeah, I know - "don't go in if you don't like it"...but I shoot from the hip, and wanted to state my opinion on the matter.
X-term...

I gotta agree with you.

However, I do think a chatroom opened for gametime might be a great thing... as long as a mod is in it!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
It isn't my call to make, obviously, but I still think it's a bad idea. The fastest and easiest way to create unnecessary problems, infighting and cliques is to start a chat room. Just about every one I have ever seen has been one giant clusterfrick, causing more headaches than it's worth. Why take the risk? Yeah, yeah, I know - "don't go in if you don't like it"...but I shoot from the hip, and wanted to state my opinion on the matter.
I've made my feelings known on this, as well, and I can't say I disagree with you XT. In my own experiences with them, I have found that disagreements in chat rooms tend to carry over to the open board and would make our jobs even more difficult as Mods, even if the chat room is unmoderated which I think is an equally bad move. People also use these chat forums to "peddle their wares" and talk sex which isn't what these forums are intended for. (For God sake - rent a porno or chat on YIM!!) Also - the language tends to get a little over the top in chat rooms. Last but not least, you also run the risk of under 18'rs coming into the room (of course not telling anyone they are minors), telling Mom and Pop what they've read and feeling the resulting wrath of the parent(s), a headache we sure as hell don't need. However, it is Mike's decision and if he feels comfy with doing this, I have to trust his judgment.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Borski's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Steelers Country, FL
Posts: 1,947
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I've made my feelings known on this, as well, and I can't say I disagree with you XT. In my own experiences with them, I have found that disagreements in chat rooms tend to carry over to the open board and would make our jobs even more difficult as Mods, even if the chat room is unmoderated which I think is an equally bad move. People also use these chat forums to "peddle their wares" and talk sex which isn't what these forums are intended for. (For God sake - rent a porno or chat on YIM!!) Also - the language tends to get a little over the top in chat rooms. Last but not least, you also run the risk of under 18'rs coming into the room (of course not telling anyone they are minors), telling Mom and Pop what they've read and feeling the resulting wrath of the parent(s), a headache we sure as hell don't need. However, it is Mike's decision and if he feels comfy with doing this, I have to trust his judgment.
I think if they make it only avalible to members that have over a certain post count and over 18 we shouldn't have a problem, and if people start talking inappropriate stuff on there you could ban them from chat, or the forum all together.

I mean if its only avalible to registered members that are over 18 we wouldn't have spammers and crap, and if it doesn't work out Mike can always close the chat.
__________________
Free Rice - Have fun and help out.
Borski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
I think if they make it only avalible to members that have over a certain post count and over 18 we shouldn't have a problem, and if people start talking inappropriate stuff on there you could ban them from chat, or the forum all together.

I mean if its only avalible to registered members that are over 18 we wouldn't have spammers and crap, and if it doesn't work out Mike can always close the chat.
If the chat would be used as a football/gameday/sports discussion forum, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but from my own experiences in BB chat rooms (and why I stayed out of them after those experiences), that doesn't usually happen. Also, Borski - how could we be 100% certain that a member is over the age of 18? It's not like we can see their birth certificates - LOL! Look - I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. My top priority is the reputation, safety and overall health of this board and its members. Like I said - if you want to chat with someone on the board, that is what the PM feature is for, as well as all of the other messenger options out there on the net.

Sure Mike could close the chat if it doesn't work out, but in all likelihood, after the damage is already done. Just my two and a half cents.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Ever thought about chat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
If the chat would be used as a football/gameday/sports discussion forum, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but from my own experiences in BB chat rooms (and why I stayed out of them after those experiences), that doesn't usually happen. Also, Borski - how could we be 100% certain that a member is over the age of 18? It's not like we can see their birth certificates - LOL! Look - I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. My top priority is the reputation, safety and overall health of this board and its members. Like I said - if you want to chat with someone on the board, that is what the PM feature is for, as well as all of the other messenger options out there on the net.

Sure Mike could close the chat if it doesn't work out, but in all likelihood, after the damage is already done. Just my two and a half cents.
I have to agree... I do like the idea of limiting it to people who have posted a certain amount of time already... say 200.

However, I just see this turning into something ugly. Gameday would be nice... turn it on 5 minutes before the game, and turn it off 5 minutes after the game. But that even opens the door.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts