Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
ngreene15
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 595
Default Recievers.

Plaxico Burress was one of my favorite Steelers in the last few years and he was one of those guys the struck fear into the defense because of his ability to stretch the field.

Now I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but when he signed with the Giants, I thought the Steelers were going to find a guy with the same playmaking abilities as Plaxico. They didn't didn't really find their guy IMO, Cedrick Wilson won't strick fear into any defenses.

Lee Mays made a few nice plays down field last year, do you think he's going to play a bigger role in the Steelers offense this year because he can go for the long ball. How's Fred Gibson looking?

Just let my feelings on the Steelers recievers out.

Ryan.
ngreene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Recievers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreene15
Plaxico Burress was one of my favorite Steelers in the last few years and he was one of those guys the struck fear into the defense because of his ability to stretch the field.

Now I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but when he signed with the Giants, I thought the Steelers were going to find a guy with the same playmaking abilities as Plaxico. They didn't didn't really find their guy IMO, Cedrick Wilson won't strick fear into any defenses.

Lee Mays made a few nice plays down field last year, do you think he's going to play a bigger role in the Steelers offense this year because he can go for the long ball. How's Fred Gibson looking?

Just let my feelings on the Steelers recievers out.

Ryan.
The fear the opposition felt was misplaced. Plex had no heart, but all the talent in the world. He is doing okay with Giants now...NOW. It broke my heart to see him jump up and fight for a ball against Cleveland in a meaningless preseason game, when he had a chance to catch a routine pass in the AFCCG last year and basically dropped it. If he caught the ball last year...Hell, it's hard to say. We may have gone on and beat NE.

Plex will prosper for a bit in NY, but his true colors will show, and dropping passes under that microscope won't work. The NY fans will be calling for his head by the end of the season...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Good riddance to Plax.Never ran hard when he NEEDED to,could never outjump the DB's (even though he had about 6-7 inches on them),just never showed any heart.He always fell down after the catch (even with nobody around to tackle him).

We give him the chance to make a HUGE play in the AFCC.The now infamous Fade Pass.Cleveland has Red Right 88...we have the Fade Pass.If Plax catches this ball,we're only down by 7 with about 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter.We had momentum,and we would have kept it.What does he do?It hits his hands TWICE and he still DROPS THE DAMN BALL!Instead we end up kicking a FG and lose all our momentum.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
ngreene15
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
The fear the opposition felt was misplaced. Plex had no heart, but all the talent in the world. He is doing okay with Giants now...NOW. It broke my heart to see him jump up and fight for a ball against Cleveland in a meaningless preseason game, when he had a chance to catch a routine pass in the AFCCG last year and basically dropped it. If he caught the ball last year...Hell, it's hard to say. We may have gone on and beat NE.

Plex will prosper for a bit in NY, but his true colors will show, and dropping passes under that microscope won't work. The NY fans will be calling for his head by the end of the season...
Plex was playing amazing when Ben took over, he was having a good year until he got hurt... Then he came back in week 16 I think it was, against the Ravens and had a big game.

He was labelled as playing with no heart but I don't think that was the case, him and Ben had a serious vibe going and it would have been nice to see them continue that this year.
ngreene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreene15
Plex was playing amazing when Ben took over, he was having a good year until he got hurt... Then he came back in week 16 I think it was, against the Ravens and had a big game.

He was labelled as playing with no heart but I don't think that was the case, him and Ben had a serious vibe going and it would have been nice to see them continue that this year.
Yes, him and Ben were friends, and it was mutually beneficial...however, how many possible Championship winning TD passes fell off the hands of Swann, or Stallworth, or Rice, or even crack heads like Michael Irvin?

He'll produce more of the same in NY. Unfortunately for him, the list of apologists will be much shorter, even in a huge city like NY.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Plaxico was an alright reciever. He did have the deep threat, but it only worked when he caught the ball. He was nothing for the Red Zone, as noted in the AFC championship last year. I'm happy he's gone, but less happy with our new recievers as of now.

Lee Mays is a good 4th string reciever in my opinion. I haven't heard of him making 1 catch this preseason. Someone on this forum referred to him as Lee "get-what-you-pay-for" Mays, which is kinda true. I don't think Lee will be anything more than a 3rd string for his NFL career.

On the topic of recievers, do you guys think Cobb or Young will make the PS? if so, which one and why?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Plax was drafted to high by us.
Now is was overpaid by the Giants.
I kinda wish I had his luck, to keep falling into big money like that.

But the fact remains. He is overrated. He fit in alright here. But was never the superstar the front office thought he would be. I will miss having some height at that pos. But he will not be missed alot. He had average hands, average to slow speed, and a crappy attitude. He did though, Ihave to admit , find away to get open downfield. It wasn`t speed either. We need a big downfield reciever. Someone better than Plax
Old 08-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Plax was drafted to high by us.
Now is was overpaid by the Giants.
I kinda wish I had his luck, to keep falling into big money like that.

But the fact remains. He is overrated. He fit in alright here. But was never the superstar the front office thought he would be. I will miss having some height at that pos. But he will not be missed alot. He had average hands, average to slow speed, and a crappy attitude. He did though, Ihave to admit , find away to get open downfield. It wasn`t speed either. We need a big downfield reciever. Someone better than Plax
Troy Edwards comes to mind. Tough to feel sorry for lazy receivers with good agents who get them paid 50X what they are worth, and maybe 500X for a year what the average fan makes in a lifetime. If I had the innate talent, I'd bust my ass like Ward did everyday. But I'd also be smart enough and educated enough to be my own agent...
Old 08-31-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Troy Edwards comes to mind. Tough to feel sorry for lazy receivers with good agents who get them paid 50X what they are worth, and maybe 500X for a year what the average fan makes in a lifetime. If I had the innate talent, I'd bust my ass like Ward did everyday. But I'd also be smart enough and educated enough to be my own agent...
You are correct, two 1st round bust back to back. And Cowher has great success in the draft. Imagine if we could have came up with someone better.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Drafting NFL receivers is tough, though...seperation is the biggest factor, and it's a whole other level in the NFL.