Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348
Default Will we be a playoff team this year?

Now before anyone shoots me, hear me out.

I am kind of worried whether or not we can make back to the playoffs. We have new coaches, losing leadership of Peezy, Ben is sometimes injury prone. Ben got hurt late in the 04 season, 05 missed a couple of games, and well last year as we all know.

Also, the AFC is a very hard conference to play in. If we dont win the division, it might be hard for us to get a wild card spot with the Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, and the Jags all competing for a wild card spot.

Hopefully I am completly wrong.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Will we be a playoff team this year?

Well if you look at it, even if Ben goes down for a game are two, we have Batch who is 5-0 in the last two season so we should be ok there. Yes were under a major over haul but yet we have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. With a nice draft, I see no reason why we should not be back in the playoffs. Parker seems to be a solid RB and has no injury issues, but needs to work on holding onto the ball near the endzone. Tomlin will try and fix the O line, Special Teams, heck we might not do to bad at all this season. And the offense will be spreading out the wr set more on 1st and 2nd down, which will open up more for a pass to switch off to the run which will confuse defenses more. With some good coaching, a good off season, look for us to be back in the contender seat.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

For all the problems we had last year, 8-8 was amazing. I think if we had Charlie in there a few more games we could've made the playoffs. My main concerns right now,
OL marginal, plus lost hartings. Hope we don't lose Faneca! You don't just plug in an OL draft pick right away! CB - that MAY take care of itself, too much invested right now for major pick. LB, may be OK. some age right now, plus need more depth, hopefully addressed in draft. DL - OK on rush D, may need better pass rush. I guess IF Ben fully recovered plus an additional year experience at OL, CB, WR, RB, we may be OK. Man I hope so. Plus I think Tomlinson smart & will make good decisions in draft (pray) and starters.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

I dont have anything really constructive to add I just had to post one more thing so my eyes stopped burning when I saw the number of posts I had. So this is my 667 th post. Sorry carry on
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbackr4life View Post
I dont have anything really constructive to add I just had to post one more thing so my eyes stopped burning when I saw the number of posts I had. So this is my 667 th post. Sorry carry on
SB4L - Congrats
Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

That is a hard question to answer before the draft and camp, so I am going to reserve my thoughts until I see a little of what this team is made of under the new regime. I know we have the firepower but I'm going to take the wait and see approach at this time. Good thread, though!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
That is a hard question to answer before the draft and camp, so I am going to reserve my thoughts until I see a little of what this team is made of under the new regime. I know we have the firepower but I'm going to take the wait and see approach at this time. Good thread, though!
I agree, let's wait till then, right now we are a good team with some big and small holes that need to be adressed, and every team is like that, when the season starts those holes will either be filled or not, and that will determine if we are a playoff team or not.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

We are a good team in a good conferance,and worse,a good division.The only team in this division that I don't think will be very competitive is the Browns.

If we don't get stomped by the Ratbirds twice,sweep the Bengals,and sweep the Browns...then I think we can win the division or a wild card spot.If that doesn't happen,then we're sitting at home watching someone else play those games.

But to go 8-8 after everything that happened last year,we should kick ass this year.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
We are a good team in a good conferance,and worse,a good division.The only team in this division that I don't think will be very competitive is the Browns.

If we don't get stomped by the Ratbirds twice,sweep the Bengals,and sweep the Browns...then I think we can win the division or a wild card spot.If that doesn't happen,then we're sitting at home watching someone else play those games.

But to go 8-8 after everything that happened last year,we should kick ass this year.
Why?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Why?
Why should we kick ass?

Because there won't be a concussion,apendectomy,and motorcycle crash to hold Ben back.

We'll have a coach that actually gives two shits about what happens on the field instead of thinking about the house he just bought in North Carolina.

We'll have a coach that plays the best player instead of the past-his-prime veteran.

The team will be more focused because the head coach doesn't have a comfort level with anyone on the team.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote