Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default ESPN reports a possible steelers draft day trade?

ESPN.com's rumor central has a report with a headline of....Steelers trading up?

This headlines rests next to a photo of Penn St's Levi Brown

I do not have the insider subscription to this site so I dont know the particulars or legitimacy of the rumors....

Has anyone heard any related information regarding the Steelers trade options on draft day or any other media outlets that mention their interest level in the PSU left tackle?

I cant imagine we would take Brown and keep Starks and Faneca on the roster.... I firmly believe that if we were to draft Brown we would definitely see more changes before the preseason begins.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: ESPN reports a possible steelers draft day trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
ESPN.com's rumor central has a report with a headline of....Steelers trading up?

This headlines rests next to a photo of Penn St's Levi Brown

Has anyone heard any related information regarding the Steelers trade options on draft day or any other media outlets that mention their interest level in the PSU left tackle?
Not a word. I've come to expect nothing but sensationalistic BS from ESPN in general, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

brown is the only lineman to come and visit the steelers so far (compared to the 6 wr's theyve invited for a look see)
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Bah.. rumor...

Tomlin will take a Defensive player in the first round as his first big addition as a head coach with a defensive knowledge on a team with a defensive history... If that made any sense at all...

If anything I see Tomlin dropping back a few picks...

ESPN needs to sell these Insider passes and its a slow time of the season...

Would be an interesting transgression, though...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
atrus20
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1207

I'd have to agree that this is to sell subscriptions. Every team has the possibility of a draft day trade.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,278 Posts

One reason to trade up might be if Peter King is correct that the consensus is there are only around 15-20 players this year that are regarded as being of traditional "first round" quality.

I've spent the last few days asking several NFL personnel people and scouts what kind of draft this is, and this is the conclusion I've drawn: This league is scared witless about the money it's about to pay this class of rookies, because there aren't enough first-round-caliber players who deserve it.

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. That means, as he said, a bunch of second-round-quality players (at least, in this team's view) will be drafted between the middle and end of the first round, and they will make more money than players with holes deserve to make. "I bet you'll see plenty of teams in the mid- to low-first-round trying to trade down, and I bet they'll have a lot of trouble finding trading partners,'' this personnel guy said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Since you are stuck paying first round money whether or not you get a pick of true first round quality, the Steelers may be worried the first round quality picks on their board will be gone by the time they select.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

I have insider to ESPN ... it's pretty cool for some articles by Len. P and sometimes has some really good inside stuff.

I don't understand why people try and discount a RUMOR page so much ... keyword RUMOR ... not verified.

and as far as the steelers trading up for levi brown ... the only thing i saw on brown was whether or not the falcons, texans, or dolphins were going after him.

nothing at all about the steelers.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Since you are stuck paying first round money whether or not you get a pick of true first round quality, the Steelers may be worried the first round quality picks on their board will be gone by the time they select.
That is meaningful and not in a good way. Being stuck at the 15 slot sure doesn't play into this scenario. Trading up will be costlier.

So more 2nd and 3rd rounders would be my strategy. Maybe KC is thinking about trading No. 1?

Stay tunred folks. Low-expectation football debuts in 2007. At least I won't need traquilizers to get thru the season this year.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
One reason to trade up might be if Peter King is correct that the consensus is there are only around 15-20 players this year that are regarded as being of traditional "first round" quality.

I've spent the last few days asking several NFL personnel people and scouts what kind of draft this is, and this is the conclusion I've drawn: This league is scared witless about the money it's about to pay this class of rookies, because there aren't enough first-round-caliber players who deserve it.

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. .

also mentionned in the article is something ive been hearing alot of in the past week. this years class of linemen is substandard. since there are so few good ones, people are gonna start taking players who grade with 3rd or 4th round talent in the 2nd. the steelers are loaded with these guys. that leaves the steelers with 3 options if they really want a lineman:

-trade up for brown
-reach in the 2nd or 3rd round for someone who can be exactly like kemoeatu, essex, or starks.
-forget about ol until the 4th round.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

I would not listen to any; ya were going to trade up, ya were going to trade down. All of it is a smoke screen put up by teams to make others think your going after this player are maybe that player when they already got there list of who they want 1st if he is there and if they can trade up are be able to trade down and get there first pick they like. We will see on draft day. No reason to guess.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote