Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default At Least 20 Dead In Virginia Tech Shootings

My God - what is this world coming to? Condolences go out ot all of the victims and their families. The gunman was also killed according to what I've been hearing on the tube.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266310,00.html

BLACKSBURG, Va. ? At least 22 are dead after a shooting at Virginia Tech University Monday morning, the campus police chief said.

Police said there was only one shooter and he is now dead. They are unsure if the shooter was a student.

"Today the university was struck by a tragedy we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said during a press conference shortly after noon. "I cannot begin to convey my own personal sense of loss over this senseless, incomprehensible, heinous act."

A spokeswoman at Montgomery Regional Hospital said 17 students were being treated there for gunshot wounds, and Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in Christiansburg reports that four people with gunshot wounds were being treated there. Carilion spokeswoman Sharon Honaker said one was in critical condition and three others were stable.

Judith Chambers, a spokeswoman at Montgomery Regional Hospital, said victims are being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries. The conditions vary and some are in surgery, she said.

School officials planned a noon EDT press conference Monday.

"Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter," the school's Web site read Monday. "All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice. All entrances to campus are closed."

The school's Web site confirmed the shooting at opposite ends of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a residence hall, and reported "multiple victims" at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Local FOX affiliate WFXR-TV in Richmond reported that one shooting occurred between 7:15 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, and another at 10 a.m. at Norris Hall.

Virginia Tech student Blake Harrison said he was on his way to class near Norris Hall when he saw chaos.

"This teacher comes flying out of Norris, he's bleeding from his arm or his shoulder ... all these students were coming out of Norris trying to take shelter in Randolph [Hall]. All these kids were freaked out," Harrison said.

The students and faculty were barricading themselves in their classrooms after what one person described as an Asian student wearing a vest opened fire.

The shooter was "wearing a vest covered in clips was just unloading on their door, going from classroom to classroom ? they said it never seemed like it was going to stop and there was just blood all over," Harrison said.

Matt Merone, a campus senior, was on his way to campus Monday morning when he saw a police officer grab a male student who was bleeding from his stomach area and put him into a vehicle, which whisked him away. He told FOX News that his roommate saw the first shooting.

Police are on the scene and are investigating along with the FBI. All classes have been canceled, according to the campus newspaper, The Collegiate Times, and students and faculty have been told to stay inside. Tuesday classes have also been canceled. Faculty and staff on the Burruss Hall side of the campus drillfield are being released and asked to go home effective immediately. Faculty and staff on the War Memorial Hall side of the drillfield are asked to leave at 12:30 p.m.

The campus newspaper also reported that because of serious wind, helicopters cannot be used to transfer the injured. Ambulances are apparently being used to transport the victims to Montgomery Regional Hospital.

The university community is urged to be cautious. Anyone who observes anything suspicious or has information about this case is encouraged to contact the Virginia Tech Police at (540) 231-6411.

"There are police driving throughout the neighborhoods with a loudspeaker saying, 'This is an emergency, everyone stay inside, we're looking for suspicious activity," Brittany Sammon, a senior Virginia Tech student staying at an apartment off campus, told FOX News on Monday. "There's no one outside at all, there's no traffic, there's nothing ? everyone's doing what they said."

Sammon, who has a brother and roommate confined to their buildings on campus, said she first got the e-mail from the school regarding the shooting at 9:30 a.m. Monday.

"It was just very short and brief and kind of scary, because it didn't have any details at all in it," she said. "It's definitely nerve wracking."

The West Ambler Johnston dorm, commonly known on campus as West AJ, houses about 895 students and is located near West End Market and Dietrick Dining Center.

Virginia Tech has the largest full-time student population in Virginia, with more than 25,000 students. It consists of eight colleges and graduate school and offers 60 bachelor's degree programs and 140 master's and doctoral degree programs.

The main campus includes more than 100 buildings located on 2,600 acres, and includes an airport.

Last August, the campus was closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard and a sheriff's deputy involved in a massive manhunt. The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

On April 13, the campus closed three of its academic halls after they received a letter stating that explosive devices were in the building. Classes were canceled for the remainder of the day. A bomb threat was also made against Torgerson Hall on April 2.

"For some reason, this just seemed a little different ? it was more than just a sick joke someone was playing," one student told FOX News about those bomb threats.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: At Least 20 Dead In Virginia Tech Shootings

I just heard a report that there may be more than 30 dead. My Lord!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Fed source at this point: 32 dead

Fox news has stated that there was one shooter. He is now dead. The police stated that he shot himself. He had two handguns. Fox news reported that he was looking for his girlfriend and MSNBC stated that he was upset with a professor. Lined up students and shot them execution style.

My question, what in the hell took so long for the campus security and police to arrive? The first shootings occured at 7:15. That's when the 911 call went out. The scumbag then went to the opposite side of the campus and at around 10:00 the second shootings occured.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I just heard an interview with a newsguy from that area. He's saying they expect the death count to rise due to the severity of wounds inflicted.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Absolutely shocking!

How do these 'regular students' have such easy access to weaponry that has clips you can pj to a bullet proof vest?

What are we talking here - semi-automatic?

I expect Charlton Heston and his NRA cronies will be busy scheduling a visit to Virginia.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Fed source at this point: 32 dead

Fox news has stated that there was one shooter. He is now dead. The police stated that he shot himself. He had two handguns. Fox news reported that he was looking for his girlfriend and MSNBC stated that he was upset with a professor. Lined up students and shot them execution style.

My question, what in the hell took so long for the campus security and police to arrive? The first shootings occured at 7:15. That's when the 911 call went out. The scumbag then went to the opposite side of the campus and at around 10:00 the second shootings occured.

I hate to sound cynical, but I think the sharks (civil lawyers) are going to be circling around the victims' families looking for a class action suit against VT.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
steelersfanmx
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 2012

wow... sorry to read this, is really sad and shocking!..
steelersfanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

First... My condolences to ALL families touched by this horrible incident.

I also feel a need to post this...

Here is what I fear is going to happen.

over the next few days and weeks... The story is going to morph into the evil of guns. How guns are the problem. How the gun makers are to blame.

In that context, people are going to forget that there was a disturbed human being who devalued life to the point that he felt it okay to destroy the lives of 30 plus people.

the REAL question here is NOT how did he get the gun. the REAL question is, how did we as a society come to a place were people could care less about other humans... And yes, I will posit the answer...

1. No greater judgement after death... regardless of specific religion.

2. We have devalued life to the point of irrelevancy. Human life is no more important then animals. As such, it is okay to put animals to sleep when we are done with them... so why not our girlfriends/boyfriends... etc.

3. We have removed mores and values from society that guided the way people act and react.

Now I know, some may say that my post was too soon. I apologize. But I wanted to get people thinking about the REAL problems here.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
First... My condolences to ALL families touched by this horrible incident.

I also feel a need to post this...

Here is what I fear is going to happen.

over the next few days and weeks... The story is going to morph into the evil of guns. How guns are the problem. How the gun makers are to blame.

In that context, people are going to forget that there was a disturbed human being who devalued life to the point that he felt it okay to destroy the lives of 30 plus people.

the REAL question here is NOT how did he get the gun. the REAL question is, how did we as a society come to a place were people could care less about other humans... And yes, I will posit the answer...

1. No greater judgement after death... regardless of specific religion.

2. We have devalued life to the point of irrelevancy. Human life is no more important then animals. As such, it is okay to put animals to sleep when we are done with them... so why not our girlfriends/boyfriends... etc.

3. We have removed mores and values from society that guided the way people act and react.

Now I know, some may say that my post was too soon. I apologize. But I wanted to get people thinking about the REAL problems here.
I hate to agree with this one because it is so well, I don;t even have a word for it, but I think yinz know what I mean here. It is true, especially with number 2. People just walk around saying that how much they want so and so to be dead, and even though they might not seriously mean that, they don't realize things, I guess you could say. It's like someone is causing an injustice to you, and because so you have a "right" to kill them.
~Polamalufan43
Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

According to the lastest at ESPN. 31 are dead.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote