Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts
Default Draft Prospects Admit Pot Use

No big news here, although I cynically assume the players' candor had more to do with the knowledge they would fail the drug test than any need to confess their sins.

A report that Calvin Johnson admitted to using marijuana probably won't affect Johnson's value in the upcoming NFL draft, Georgia Tech football coach Chan Gailey said Thursday.

"I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever," said Gailey, a former Dallas Cowboys head coach with 16 years of experience in professional football. "I think he's a great young man who probably did it one time to see what it was like and told the truth [when asked about it]. I don't think it's an issue with him."

Johnson, Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams and Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye admitted to using marijuana when asked about it during interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine, Pro Football Weekly reported, citing unnamed people who watched the interviews

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...20johnson.html

If Johnson wants to toke away it is fine with me, but the idea Johnson only did it once (and presumably did not inhale and of course did not do it during the season) is laughable. Gailey's reaction is the classic see no evil response of the head coach
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default Re: Draft Prospects Admit Pot Use

i dont think its that big a deal either. i wouldnt mind seeing okoye fall to us. tomlin has been on the same team as warren sapp so i doubt he would be too concerned. (reports are none of the 3 ever failed a test.)

Quote:
NFL.com
(April 18, 2007) -- Draft time inevitably brings smoke screens, smoke signals and now, smoke admissions.

In videotaped comments during standard interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye admitted trying marijuana in college, NFL personnel people said this week.

Okoye confirmed the admission through his agent, Ian Greengross.

Through Greengross, Okoye said he was a 16-year-old underclassman at the time he tried marijuana and he would not lie to his future employers about it.

Teams are applauding Louisville DT Amobi Okoye on his honesty about his past.
Okoye said he has not smoked since then and the incident is a non issue. He never tested positive to any of the NCAA's random drug tests.

A handful of teams that Greengross contacted this week even said Okoye should be applauded for his honesty, not for trying to hide an incident that is as much a part of his past as his freshman year.

Teams have access to the tape of Okoye's interview, but not everyone has seen it. It's uncertain whether the admission will impact the draft status of Okoye, who is regarded as one of the draft's top prospects and perhaps the top defensive tackle prospect.

One head coach predicted that Okoye would not slip out of the top 10 picks, despite the admission. Another coach said, "It's not the kids that admit it that you worry about; you worry about the ones that don't."

A general manager said Okoye's admission was an issue his team would discuss in light of today's climate, but the defensive tackle is considered a high-character individual noted for graduating college in 3? years with a degree in psychology.

At age 19, the 6-foot-2, 302-pound Okoye will become the youngest player ever drafted into the NFL since the merger.

He visited the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday, the Washington Redskins on Wednesday and is scheduled to meet with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday. The Atlanta Falcons and Miami Dolphins, scheduled to pick eighth and ninth, also are interested in Okoye.

Now, in addition to questions about his age, Okoye will be asked to answer questions about his combine interview.

As far as draft standards are concerned, it's not a smoking admission as notable as Bill Clinton's during the 1992 presidential campaign. The admission hardly hurt Clinton; he was elected to serve as the United States President from 1993-2001.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
fugawzi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5120

Quote:
If Johnson wants to toke away it is fine with me, but the idea Johnson only did it once (and presumably did not inhale and of course did not do it during the season) is laughable. Gailey's reaction is the classic see no evil response of the head coach
couldn't agree more. It's almost like a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Only these guys told, maybe because they thought it would come back to haunt them if they got caught lying later on. I don't see how blazing a little during the offseason would affect a player come August. How many players smoke cigarettes? I would guess a good amount. All the nasty chemicals in a cig. A lot of athletes, not only in the NFL, smoke MJ. We'd probably be surprised at the number of NFL players who do cocaine, a drug that's hard to detect in urine, since it passes through the user so quickly, and presumably gives a boost of energy. Anyway, I don't think this 'confession' will affect their draft value, shouldn't anyway.
fugawzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16341

already posted in NFL Draft..
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote