Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Faneca to skip mini camp?

Okay Alan time to act like an adult. I get so sick and tired of these football players throwing tantrums.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07110/779551-66.stm

Friday, April 20, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin conducts his first minicamp this weekend, starting today, and he could be confronted with his first real issue as Steelers coach:

Will Alan Faneca show up?

Neither Faneca nor his agent, Rick Smith, returned phone calls to answer that question. But there are indications the All-Pro guard will not be in Pittsburgh this weekend.

He has attended none of the voluntary workouts with his teammates that began March 19. He is known to be unhappy with his contract that has one year remaining and with the pace of talks toward a new one. Smith said last month that he would no longer talk publicly about Faneca and that any comments about the player would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."

Faneca is not yet required by contract to show up, even for this minicamp because it is voluntary. The first time Faneca or any other Steelers player must report is the weekend of May 11, when Tomlin continues his predecessor's practice of holding a required minicamp over Mother's Day Weekend. That's when a player can be fined for not showing.

Until then, the Faneca issue will fester. The Steelers have paid him a $1 million roster bonus that came due early in March.

There could be other Steelers who do not show today other than Faneca, but the turnout for their workouts the previous month generally has been good.

Tomlin will put his new team through two workouts on the field today, two more tomorrow and one on Sunday. No pads can be worn and, supposedly, there is to be no contact during the drills.

This will be the first time the team gets a chance to run its new offense under coordinator Bruce Arians, who was promoted from wide receivers coach to replace Ken Whisenhunt. Arians has streamlined the playbook but at the same time changed its language. He also said he wants to use four wide receivers at times on first down with the quarterback under center, not in the shotgun, and that he will put more responsibility on Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders. Roethlisberger, for instance, will call the pass protections this year instead of a lineman doing it.

Roethlisberger's been busy studying that new playbook.

"I've been looking over stuff. I take it on the road with me," he said. "I sit on the airplane and read over our no-huddle stuff and read over our cadence stuff.

"It's going to be difficult, there's no lying about it. But I think as we progress in it, I think we can be really good in it. I wish this were my same offense I've had for the whole time, the way Bruce talks about it and the things we're going to be able to do.

"I think it's something that's going to be a lot of fun and, once we get the hang of it, we can really be successful with it."

The biggest change expected when Tomlin was hired was supposed to come on defense because of his background in the 4-3 cover-2. Instead, Tomlin kept coordinator Dick LeBeau and most of his defensive staff and said he will stick with the 3-4, the defense the Steelers have run for a quarter of a century.

"We have the best 3-4 people in the world, I think," Tomlin said. "That's what we're going to do."

NOTES -- Four college prospects paid a visit to the Steelers yesterday, including punter Daniel Sepulveda of Baylor. The others were Miami linebacker Jon Beason, projected to go in the first round; tight end Cody Boyd of Washington State, and offensive tackle Allen Barbre of Missouri Southern. Wide receiver Andre Allison of East Carolina visited them Wednesday. ... Today is the deadline for restricted free agents to sign with other teams. The Steelers have two, OT Max Starks and QB Brian St. Pierre.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Faneca to skip mini camp?

I was just coming back to post this same article...

How stupid. New coach... new staff... new offensive schemes..

bad choice Fanaca... Bad choice... Your not Ward. Don't think you will be treated like him.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
holmes
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3121

I think he should be the first one in the locker room stepping up to be a leader. He shouldn't be whining about Grimm and Whisenhunt, b/c I feel this is what this all about. Faneca should put the past behind him and step up to a new challenge, like everyone else is doing.
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Blitzburger
Water Boy

Member Number: 5280

[QUOTE=NCSteeler;239357]I don't know what his deal is, but apparently he's been watching the Fa contracts this year adn is still alittle sore about Tomlin. Lifes tough, Man Up, do your job and you will get paid next year, by some other team.[QUOTE=NCSteeler;239357]

I'll wait to see what actually happens on Friday, but all I can say is good on the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert (as usual) not falling into the Free Agent trap, especially this year where no-talent practice-squad hacks are getting ridiculous contracts, especially on the O and D Lines. If Faneca is sore because he's paid appropriately, not overvalued and wants to get alot of money on a bad team, get rid of him now and we can draft a football player to replace him, not a glorified agent.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,101 Posts

I think we need to look to trade him now.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Grow up and play football.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
I think he should be the first one in the locker room stepping up to be a leader. He shouldn't be whining about Grimm and Whisenhunt, b/c I feel this is what this all about. Faneca should put the past behind him and step up to a new challenge, like everyone else is doing.
I agree.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydfan4life View Post
IMO I think it would be in his best interest to show up and play hard. This can only help him in his quest for a big contract. If not with the Steelers (most likely not) than definitely with another team.

I like Faneca, always have, and I just hope he does the right thing! Show up, be a leader, and play!
If only the athletes had the same mentality! But then again when you risk being cut year in and year out, I guess it's tit for tat in the NFL.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

faneca's being a selfish prick...time for him to get over his man-love for russ grimm and joey porter and grow up. time to move him along...last thing this team needs is a cancer and he's quickly becoming one. he's alienating himself from the fans - BAD move!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

If he makes a holdout please trade him,we might as well get something better and younger. I never thought Faneca would be this kind of player.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote