Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779
Default Ben on Mini Camp

Great Comments from Ben at the start of mini camp. Looks like he's totally focused already and we're not even out of the blocks yet!

http://news.steelers.com/article/75373/

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers held their first mini-camp practice under new head coach Mike Tomlin on Friday morning and for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger it felt good to get back into the swing of things after spending the past month mainly on conditioning drills.

"It's good to be back out there," said Roethlisberger. "There are some new things, new faces all around. It was good to get back out on the field."

One of the new things that Roethlisberger was faced with was the terminology installed by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. While the plays are remaining relatively the same, what they are called is changing and it's an early challenge for Roethlisberger and the offense.

"It's a little different with some of the calls," said Roethlisberger. "I almost feel like I am a rookie again with a little more knowledge than I had the first time around. All of us, all of the quarterbacks, are working together at this point, talking and asking each other what we see and if we did anything right or wrong."

Roethlisberger is going to have a little more freedom with the offense this year, being able to make some of his own calls. It is something he will have to adjust to as time goes on, and mini-camp is the perfect time for him to give it a try.

"It makes it tougher right now," he said. "Initially it makes it a lot harder because there are a lot more things. You break the huddle and you forget what you called it on. You forget what the protections are. Right now it's tough, but once we get the hang of it, it will make it a lot easier and better."

While it will give him more freedom, it also gives him a lot more responsibility and that is something he welcomes.

"It makes it easier because there won't be as many complications," he said. "There still will be complications. I'm still going to screw up. We're not going to be 100 percent clicking on every single play, but hopefully we can on most plays."

Like all of his teammates Roethlisberger entered the Steelers first mini-camp with a little bit of uncertainty of how Tomlin would approach things. He was happy with what he saw from the new coach on the field.

"He's a great guy," said Roethlisberger. "He didn't try to do too much, which was one of the questions, is he going to come in and yell and scream at everybody? What is he going to do? He came in and was as calm, cool and collected as he seems."

Roethlisberger and Tomlin have already started to form a bond and the fact that Tomlin is new is something the quarterback feels will benefit their relationship.

"It will definitely be different because Coach (Bill) Cowher was here before I got here," explained Roethlisberger. "Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship."

The Steelers were permitted to have this early mini-camp because they have a new head coach and they want to come out strong and lay the foundation for what they hope will be a successful season for the team, and for Tomlin.

"It's important because we want to improve," said Roethlisberger. "We want to do good for him. We want to do good for all of the players, coaches and the fans. It's important we come out and play better and it starts now."
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Ben on Mini Camp

It's nice to hear him say all the right things. That's the easy part and something I would expect to hear from my franchise QB. I'm more concerned with him showing it on the field come September 9. While it remains to be seen, I'm fairly confident he will bounce back and have a better season than last year.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Ben will bounce back, and be calm and cool in the pocket again...like he was in the near the end of the season...

But what I find interesting is Ben's opinion of his relationship w/ Cowher...( "that it wasn't great" )
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Ben feels like a rookie again......... He was a GREAT rookie!!!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

If he feels like a rookie again, does that mean he is going to play like one, in the sense that he is going to a kick tail qb..lol.. I cant wait to see my man back in action

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
"because he was here before I got here"
Isn't that the case with most QB's coming out of college and to the pro's? Or should NFL ownership groups around the league change coaching staffs after they draft a QB in the first round? So his relationship with Cowher "wasn't great" and it seems his relationship with Whisenhunt wasn't much better.

Yeah, interesting to say the least. Hopefully the new coaching staff is to his liking.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Keep up the good work Ben And please work with those receivers
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote